The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Manifesting the First Overall Pick

Rate this topic

UFCanuck

36 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He was the Brendan Gaunce of defensemen in terms of prospects.:lol:  Didn't particularly excel in anything nor was he weak in anything.  Why one is a fringe NHLer at best & the other didn't even play more than one game at the NHL level?  Herter had the misfortune of suffering a large number of injuries.  Still likely wouldn't have amounted to much more than a journeyman NHLer imho.  A type of prospect you pick at the later rounds in the hopes you can turn him into a useful player; but not somebody you draft in the 1st round.  Take Brock Boeser for example.  Is slow, not particularly physical.  *BUT* has one legit high level skill (at least at the NHL level) - his shot.  You draft guys like Boeser all day (in the draft position he was picked at).

I always kind of thought of Jason Herter's career and expectation raising hockey card...

herter_f_zoom.jpg

...as similar to these guys from the Boyz II Men / Motownphilly music video who never even ended up releasing a song...

763e9f40-7666-11ec-9fd8-4e56245376a3

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Meh, couldn't embed the clip I wanted.

So anyway...how about those Canucks.  I hear that Jason Herter is developing nicely.

Herter and Libor Polasek are going to be a solid core to build around for years to come.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, UFCanuck said:

I’ve seen this stuff work in my life. There is power in all of us believing that we have the 1OA already. We are long overdue for this.

This power you speak of quails before the Universal Force known as CANUCK LUCK (which is characterized by a complete lack of it when it comes to the draft lottery).

4 hours ago, TeamTurmoil said:

Anyone else hope Bedard pulls a Lindros for the Canucks benefit? 

I daydream about girls, about winning the lottery (the money one), going travelling, and yes...  Bedard getting drafted by Chicago, and him holding out and forcing a trade to Vancouver.  

10 hours ago, Bure2Win said:

I think we've had enough pain over the last 53 years to qualify.

We do have the pain, but we fail to embrace it and learn from it. We should be amongst the beautiful lottery odds but we take steps to harm the tank. I feel this thread and stillman's celebrated departure means the hockey gods are done with hs again.