The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Seravelli: “Some smoke around Kerfoot and Vancouver”

Odd.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Myers 2.5mil retained for Kerfoot straight up. Gives us 3mil this offseason to use as we see fit. We don't need or want Kerfoot. But we also don't want to give up assets to move Myers. So we can take him to move out Myers. If we can squeeze a middling pick too, bonus.

Edit: Although it sounds like they want cap. Not equal cap in as cap out. Do they even have picks left anymore for us to take a cap dump?

No thanks. Just ride out Myers contract versus retaining anything more than 1m. 3m does nothing for our hole a RD in 2024 nor does dealing Myers. The ONLY way I'd retain that much is if we were getting a high pick back or a legit prospect back with Kerfoot just a cap dump.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, myre said:

Sure, in this case I'm happy.::D

Good point.

Ya, you guys are probably right. I apologize for feeling sick to my stomach when I seen the thread.

Oh buddy I feel ya. I've been educating leaf fans about the types of picks they would need to give up to dump holl and kerfoot while bringing in someone who is useful for that 5.5m instead for ever it seems! They still to this day think it's going to be hoglander and schenn for those two:lol:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

No thanks. Just ride out Myers contract versus retaining anything more than 1m. 3m does nothing for our hole a RD in 2024 nor does dealing Myers. The ONLY way I'd retain that much is if we were getting a high pick back or a legit prospect back with Kerfoot just a cap dump.

It's not about fixing the D with that cap. That cap gives us room to take some other expiring scrub for draft picks. Retaining on 1 full year is nothing given we suck.

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

14 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Oh buddy I feel ya. I've been educating leaf fans about the types of picks they would need to give up to dump holl and kerfoot while bringing in someone who is useful for that 5.5m instead for ever it seems! They still to this day think it's going to be hoglander and schenn for those two:lol:

Leafs fans are even worse than us when it comes to thinking their roster scraps are worth their weight in gold to other teams.

1 minute ago, McBackup said:

Leafs fans are even worse than us when it comes to thinking their roster scraps are worth their weight in gold to other teams.

I was trying to explain that their “prized” prospect knies was a ride along with cooley and snuggerud and my god they think the complete opposite… Greta is the worst on Twitter by far 

18 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

It's not about fixing the D with that cap. That cap gives us room to take some other expiring scrub for draft picks. Retaining on 1 full year is nothing given we suck.

I kind of want to improve the team in 2024 & 2025 versus using a ton of cap on retained salary to get 2nd and 3rd round picks. Use all our cap in 2023 to trade for expiring scrubs.....sure. But retain cap in 2024 and beyond to do so is just ridiculous.

I'm all about a rebuild, but let's be perfectly honest here; IF this team is still in trade assets for mid/late round picks and scrubs mode, Petterson, Kuz, Demko, and any of our other good players will simply be gone and not resign. This will set the rebuild back another 3-4 years.

Our best option; cross our finger our bottom 6 finish becomes a top 3 pick. Draft a difference maker, then draft prospects with our later picks. Then, use FA and trades to fill voids on the team WITHOUT mortgaging future high draft picks nor blowing/wasting cap space.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I kind of want to improve the team in 2024 & 2025 versus using a ton of cap on retained salary to get 2nd and 3rd round picks. Use all our cap in 2023 to trade for expiring scrubs.....sure. But retain cap in 2024 and beyond to do so is just ridiculous.

I'm all about a rebuild, but let's be perfectly honest here; IF this team is still in trade assets for mid/late round picks and scrubs mode, Petterson, Kuz, Demko, and any of our other good players will simply be gone and not resign. This will set the rebuild back another 3-4 years.

Our best option; cross our finger our bottom 6 finish becomes a top 3 pick. Draft a difference maker, then draft prospects with our later picks. Then, use FA and trades to fill voids on the team WITHOUT mortgaging future high draft picks nor blowing/wasting cap space.

This doomsday scenario fails when you factor in Kuzmenko literally could have left this summer and didn't. I don't think those players will just leave if we at least have direction. Especially given we have Petey's RFA rights, he may hold out. Who knows. Demko we kind of want gone anyway. He has extensive injury history. And again, Kuzmenko had the chance to leave, but didn't. Besides, moving Myers and using that 3mil cap for another cap dump won't make us much worse. Moving Myers is almost addition by subtraction. Adding cap flexibility is a bonus.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

This doomsday scenario fails when you factor in Kuzmenko literally could have left this summer and didn't. I don't think those players will just leave if we at least have direction. Especially given we have Petey's RFA rights, he may hold out. Who knows. Demko we kind of want gone anyway. He has extensive injury history. And again, Kuzmenko had the chance to leave, but didn't. Besides, moving Myers and using that 3mil cap for another cap dump won't make us much worse. Moving Myers is almost addition by subtraction. Adding cap flexibility is a bonus.

It is not dooms day, it is reality. Kuzmenko resigned bc he is comfortable in Van right now. That he only took a 2 year "bridge" type deal shows he is also interested in the direction the team goes. Same with Petterson; he is only under team control for 3 more years (2 contract + RFA). 

Wanting Demko gone is very short sighted. He single handly propped up a very poor defensive team for 2 years. Unfortunately he started rough this year, then got hurt. My OPINION; he was never really healed from offseason hip surgery and fell into the FO's direction of "unfinished business". He should be LTIRd and let to rehab/heal until training camp.

Myers is overpaid & over played plain and simple. The great thing; he is only under contract for one more year and WILL have value next TDL. Jettisoning him now with 3m retained to open up 3m in cap to retain more plus a ~3rd pick is just asinine. Why not wait until next spring and trade him for a 2nd with retention at the TDL?

• Tanks a lot 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

So... uh... is it possible for one to receive... uh... "pharmaceutical benefits" of second-hand smoke from combusted psychoactive vegetation introduced in... uh... that... uh... "manner"?  

Asking for a friend, y'know.  :bigblush:

You’ll have to ask Seravelli. Frank is a professional ass smoker. 

• Haha 1