The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you build it Michkov will come [Proposal]

Miller to Carolina 

To VAN Kotkaniemi 4.82 x 7 + Heimosalmi + Koivunen + 2nd 

Yes the return is underwhelming we would love Morrow/Suzuki but I think we have to accept those guys aren't moving. I don't think Kotkaniemi is the trash most do. People forget how rushed Kotkaniemi was he's only 22 we haven't seen his best yet. He got paid too early but I think over the course of his contract he will exceed it's value. 

Koivunen and Heimosalmi were both guys I was incredibly high on in their draft years I felt at the time they were both late 1st caliber players and marveled at how lucky Caolina was to get them both in the 2nd. Had my fingers crossed we would take Heimosalmi with the Klim pick. I think if we look at it through the lens of a serviceable good on FO's 3c slightly over paid + 3x2nds we do really well here. Most importantly we ensure we get a higher pick this year and next. 

Brock Boeser to Pitty 33% retained

to Van Taylor Gauthier G +  2nd + Teddy Baby Blueger 2m ufa

Gauthier is a fine goalie prospect having posted some very good numbers in both the WHL and AHL level. 

2021-22 3.png Prince George Cougars WHL 14 2.75 .923 0 7-5-0 |            
  6.png Portland Winterhawks WHL 28 2.16 .931 4 24-4-0 | Playoffs 11 1.92 .937 1 7-4-0
2022-23 6.png Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins AHL 14 2.42 .918 0 6-2-3 |

Draft 

5 OA Michkov basically the only player who could challenge Bedard for 1st OA falls to west coast red army. Best production of any Russian prospect ever. 

14OA Reinbacher/Simachev/ASP take best D on the board. I like them in this order. 

37OA Gulyayev/Minnitian/Bonk/Strbak again take the best D

50OA Kalan Lind Pest Kole's brother so hopefully he knows how hard he has to work to make it. 

60OA Carter Sotheran Mammoth RHD plays physically and moves the puck well. 

69 OA Juraj Pekarcik PWF playing in Slovakia's top men's league imo he's a future 3rd liner you win with.

90OA Oskar Asplund LDefense overager more than doubling Lekkerimaki's ppg in allsven who we took as I recall pretty high to score points.

We take a dip short term but I think we have done well to fill the pipe with players who will be ripening right around the time Michkov drops on a full 3year ELC. We flip the switch in 2026. 

Rinse repeat next year very good D coming do like the Canes, NJ, and LA fill the pipe with D and use them as currency when we turn the corner. We build a solid foundation that lines up in timeline with the arrival of 21yo Michkov on a 3 year elc.

Edit* removed 3rd. and retention on Miller

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • elephant 1

• hammertime changed the title to If you build it Michkov will come [Proposal]
15 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

So if we trade Miller and Boeser I guess Kotkaniemi automatically becomes our new whipping boy?

We still have Myers. Ugh smh sometimes I wish we weren't such a shitty fanbase. Kotkaniemi is 22 I don't think it's unreasonable to project him as a 50pt 3c who can win FO's in his prime. Aatu Raty as insurance. 

Edited by hammertime

13 minutes ago, hammertime said:

5 OA Michkov basically the only player who could challenge Bedard for 1st OA

Not sure this is true, Fantilli may be the only one to challenge. 

Michkov is a Small Russian Winger. Is that 3 red flags?  Michkov might be very skilled, but is his game transferable to the NHL? He could be a very dynamic player though, and fit in well with Pettersson, Podkolzon, Raty and Kravtsov in 3-4 years maybe.

Are these the tiers? 

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlsson

Michkov

Smith

Benson

Yager

Sale

Dvorsky

Barlow

Moore

Sandin-Pellikka

Leonard

Cristall

25 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Matvei Michkov

Forward -- shoots L
Born Dec 9 2004 -- Perm, Russia
[18 yrs. ago]
Height 5.08 -- Weight 147 [173 cm/67 kg]

EliteProspects lists him as 5'10 and 148 lbs.

Does his listed weight not concern people?

By the time we get him he will have so much HGH in his system he will be 6'2 220.

No his size doesn't concern me. If we build our team correctly to take advantage of his talent. The Kid has 20 points in 27 games for Sochi KHL thats nuts.

Edited by hammertime
  • elephant 1

28 minutes ago, hammertime said:

By the time we get him he will have so much HGH in his system he will be 6'2 220.

No his size doesn't concern me. If we build our team correctly to take advantage of his talent. The Kid has 20 points in 27 games for Sochi KHL thats nuts.

We've managed to build 1 or 2 teams correctly in 50+ years. So it kinda does concern me.

33 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Matvei Michkov

Forward -- shoots L
[18 yrs. ago]

Concerns me. I'd rather have Bedard

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks needs:

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlsson

Benson

Smith

Yager

Sale

Sandin-Pellikka

Reinbacher

Dvorsky

Moore

Cristall

Don't really need RW or LD

Don't really need 

Benson

Smith

Yager

Sale

Cristall

either so starting to narrow it down. 

2 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

If the Canucks can pick up another 1 or 2 first rounders this year imagine:

Michkov

Reinbacher

Cristall

Honzek (Giants product)

That's fast tracking a rebuild

That would be amazing but I can't see the Canucks having 3-4 1st rounders in this Draft. If they ended up with Michkov and Reinbacher, I'd be happy, if Michkov played LW, which I'm sure he can. One day...

Michkov - Pettersson - Lekkerimaki

Podkolzin - Miller - Kravtsov

Mikheyev - Raty - Klimovich

Hughes - Reinbacher

Price (with the 2nd) 

5 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Matvei Michkov

Forward -- shoots L
[18 yrs. ago]

A lot about him is concerning. I sincerely hope we do not pick him