The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Bloom | LW

Sean Monahan

55 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

anyone know anything about this fella?

Good size, good speed...  

Plays a bit of PK and can score shorties in the OHL.  Seen some goals on the PP where he scores from the bumper spot.  

Looks like a 3rd round pick that's justified his draft stock...  

Natural progression would be 4th line minutes in Abby next year. 

"Plays a bit of PK and can score shorties in the OHL."

Or to put it another way, one that does not damn him with faint praise, he is very strong on the PK, is leading his league in shorthanded goals this year and tied a franchise record for shorthanded goals last season.

Considering what our PK has been like, sounds like a player we could use if he continues to develop.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

On 2/27/2023 at 8:06 PM, Sean Monahan said:

One guest on Sportsnet that watches lots of JR hockey had lots of positive things to say about Bloom 19 -6'2 ..

A bigger version of Lockwood and with development he could turn out to be a bottom 6 forward in 3 years.

I like the trade and another young prospect...I am thinking Abby next season...

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

"Plays a bit of PK and can score shorties in the OHL."

Or to put it another way, one that does not damn him with faint praise, he is very strong on the PK, is leading his league in shorthanded goals this year and tied a franchise record for shorthanded goals last season.

Considering what our PK has been like, sounds like a player we could use if he continues to develop.

Your description sounds better then mine, I don't wanna get my or other people's hopes up too high. 

Have you watched him play? 

I figured out a way to watch all the OHL games, so I'll be tuning into to a few to close out this season.  

March 16th Battalion will play against Peterborough. Bloom vs Lockhart. 

4 hours ago, Sativika said:

Another winger. But overall I'm happy to see Stillman gone. Bloom might just work out or at the very least, future trade fodder.

Yeah, I’m in favor of trades that clear cap and give us something of promise in place of a player with no upside.

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Your description sounds better then mine, I don't wanna get my or other people's hopes up too high. 

Have you watched him play? 

I figured out a way to watch all the OHL games, so I'll be tuning into to a few to close out this season.  

March 16th Battalion will play against Peterborough. Bloom vs Lockhart. 

Looking forward to those game/player reports. We finally have a few guys to monitor in the OHL - it’s been a while. Care to share a link?

4 hours ago, Sativika said:

Another winger. But overall I'm happy to see Stillman gone. Bloom might just work out or at the very least, future trade fodder.

Most wingers playing pk are in roles indistinguishable from centres, they also tend to be committed, talented defensive players. Add in the ability to take faceoffs and you have your basic utility guy like Lazar or Motte.

The more I look at this trade the more I like it. The ability to score lots of shorties indicates strong skating, great reads and very good anticipation- those attributes go a long way toward yielding a future nhler. Adding size to that makes me think Mikheyev 2, if we can develop him properly. The way the current Abby coaches are developing our prospects adds some confidence that we just might have a future nhler. One of the knocks on Lockwood, was his size and injury history from playing a robust game.

There were many games in Abby where he was the best player on the ice, and at last at that level he had pretty good offensive skills, he is still a guy who could one day stick in the league. We did give up a value in this player, and I wish Lockwood all the best. We did not get something for nothing, we got something for something.

Edited by Ray_Cathode
Had to atone for my spelling bee failures
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Looking forward to those game/player reports. We finally have a few guys to monitor in the OHL - it’s been a while. Care to share a link?

onhockey.tv 

They have lots of juniors, SHL, etc, etc... 

:)