The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Bloom | LW

Sean Monahan

3 minutes ago, NorthWest_Express said:

He would have had a big role for Calgary and Canada if he went back even for one year, and being in the WHL would have allowed the organization to give him a solid development plan. I agree that Travis Green was a horrendous coach, especially at developing young players

Or… send him to Utica where he can develop as a pro…. Which they did. And the details in his game improved.

I could not stand Green…. Ugh his interviews were the worst. The bag skates are f***ing brain dead power freak kinda moves. Bag skating your players to the point of collapsing, vomiting… all prior to the season was a “im the boss” kinda move and asserting his power. Great way to rack up injuries before the season starts.. 

9 minutes ago, NorthWest_Express said:

You'd think management and ownership would listen nowadays not back when the Sedins were still here. Going back though, grabbing Virtanen and Juolevi were horrendous picks

Okay tell me why Juolevi was a “horrendous” pick

If anything he was an unfortunate pick. Horrendous is completely wrong.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Juolevi was the benefactor of playing on a very stacked London and Finland team, and the Canucks fell for it. In reality if they were gonna go with a defenceman I wanted them to grab Sergachev, he seemed better long term, however when I was watching the draft I was clamoring for Tkachuk lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

OJ was the wrong pick. It was very clear Tkatchuk was the BPA. But Benning believed we should select a D. We’ve been through this a lot. Benning overruled his scouts to select OJ. It was Linden who had to step in in the Petey draft so Benning didn’t force his guy as the puck - Glass. 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I have no issue with the deal, especially as the Abby guys have stepped up.

No neither do I. It’s been great to see all the kids in the line up finally. The Utica years were spent loaded full of AHL vets and ECHL call ups. Still good hockey to watch but didn’t move the needle much in getting satisfaction from watch home grown talent get better and better then finally make the big club. It’s not like we didn’t have young guys in Utica we just did not have the coaching staff to get them geared up for the next level. Utica has so many misses when it comes to young guys not panning out…oh well good to see times changing in Abbotsford!

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OJ was the wrong pick. It was very clear Tkatchuk was the BPA. But Benning believed we should select a D. We’ve been through this a lot. Benning overruled his scouts to select OJ. It was Linden who had to step in in the Petey draft so Benning didn’t force his guy as the puck - Glass. 

And Benning listened, didnt he? Thats how we ended up with Pettersson.

OJ was all health related issues, nothing to do with his actual hockey skills and IQ. we needed a dman did we not? We spent 10 years drafting forwards in the 1st round, OJ looked like a great choice, health interfered. 

our last dman selected in the 1st round was Luc Bourdon. At some point you are going to have to start taking chances on dmen in the 1st round. The fact Bourdon tragically passed away, pushes our last dman selection all the way back to ‘98. Where the hell do you think you are going to find top talented dmen, if you are never drafting them in the 1st round???

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

So why was he consistently the highest ranked dman in that draft, as high as 5th? Final rankings had OJ at 6 and Serg at 9th.

OJ’s skating and passing was better than Sergachev. Up until injuries played a role.

Its unfortunate OJ didnt work out, ultimately he was an organizational need and we went with needs over BPA. Because if you keep chasing BPA at every draft, you are going to be weak in a few areas and you’ll never fix the problem from within and you’ll be selling your youth for the solution.

What if Van took BPA in 2018? Hughes was ranked all over the place from 4-10. What if we took Oliver Wahlstrom because of “BPA”…. We’d miss out on Hughes. But instead we chose an organizational need, which was a PMD. We had no defensemen in the pipeline, OJ was in the surgery room instead. So we went back to finding a dman instead of taking BPA.

Look how well Tkachuk paid off for Calgary..  oh wait hes in Florida now. Glad we dodged that bullet. Would have added Uberdone to our cap situation. No thanks.

At the end of the day, OJ didnt pan out due to health, not his actual hockey IQ or his abilities. So calling him a horrendous pick is a horrendous and 20/20 bias view.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesnt. Expecting to bat .1000 at the draft is unrealistic. 

Always take BPA with high picks. Hughes was ranked higher than where we got him by us. OJ was not BPA on our scouts’ list. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Always take BPA with high picks. Hughes was ranked higher than where we got him by us. OJ was not BPA on our scouts’ list. 

On 6/24/2016 at 4:55 PM, Alflives said:

Why?  Dubois might be a bust.  If any of the top five bust, he's the one that could.  I like our pick.  We need a number one D. 

Just going to leave it at that.

Edited by AnthonyG

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

24968822-5811-4674-9D33-9E9D0BF4B792.thumb.png.d25498f32e67c6bf99d710faf4d0884d.png

You sure are right about a lot of things Alf…. I trust your judgement entirely.

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Just going to leave it at that.

It’s called being a fan of our club and hating all others. Alf will always cheer for our prospects and hate other teams’ selections. Alf is a fan of our team and only our team. But when the dust settles Alf can express what is fact. And the fact  remains that OJ wasn’t the BPA. He was Benning’s pick. Luckily Linden stepped in during a later draft process and forced Benning to go with our scouts and take Petey instead of another bustaroo bonsai. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s called being a fan of our club and hating all others. Alf will always cheer for our prospects and hate other teams’ selections. Alf is a fan of our team and only our team. But when the dust settles Alf can express what is fact. And the fact  remains that OJ wasn’t the BPA. He was Benning’s pick. Luckily Linden stepped in during a later draft process and forced Benning to go with our scouts and take Petey instead of another bustaroo bonsai. 

Alfs a moron.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Even Burke had OJ and Tkachuk ranked dead even. We have no idea how OJ would have turned out if he didn't need 2 major, season ending surgeries on his knees, post draft.

You can hold Virtanen over Benning all you want, but I don't blame Benning for OJ, you can't predict injuries post draft.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

C78F0044-8B87-46B7-AA52-AA360F1A7D51.thumb.png.3f850def67b3ca9e8627040589be9d89.png

But I thought Linden definitely believed OJ was a top pairing guy? You believed it.

1 minute ago, CR7 said:

Dammit CDC foiled again. Came here for Josh Bloom stuff, wanted to get some insight into the new prospect. Maybe I'll make my way over to Gudbranson's page to find what I'm looking for :frantic:

According to Alf, you’ll find the next Scott Stevens in the Guddy threadF4A779A5-F419-4BD7-9396-4AE3C2C629E5.thumb.png.6563aae9a50c6223fa27f586bf6ca26a.png

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

So why was he consistently the highest ranked dman in that draft, as high as 5th? Final rankings had OJ at 6 and Serg at 9th.

OJ’s skating and passing was better than Sergachev. Up until injuries played a role.

Its unfortunate OJ didnt work out, ultimately he was an organizational need and we went with needs over BPA. Because if you keep chasing BPA at every draft, you are going to be weak in a few areas and you’ll never fix the problem from within and you’ll be selling your youth for the solution.

What if Van took BPA in 2018? Hughes was ranked all over the place from 4-10. What if we took Oliver Wahlstrom because of “BPA”…. We’d miss out on Hughes. But instead we chose an organizational need, which was a PMD. We had no defensemen in the pipeline, OJ was in the surgery room instead. So we went back to finding a dman instead of taking BPA.

Look how well Tkachuk paid off for Calgary..  oh wait hes in Florida now. Glad we dodged that bullet. Would have added Uberdone to our cap situation. No thanks.

At the end of the day, OJ didnt pan out due to health, not his actual hockey IQ or his abilities. So calling him a horrendous pick is a horrendous and 20/20 bias view.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesnt. Expecting to bat .1000 at the draft is unrealistic. 

People need to remember, in that draft, past the first 3 or 4 picks, from about 5 through to 15, all picks were rated and ranked about dead even and that teams SHOULD draft for positional need, which is what we did.

Everyone needs to now get over this and move on! Analysts all agree this was a really even draft for top overall talent, and that...

YOU CANNOT CONTROL POST DRAFT INJURIES!!!

Time to get over it people, we had a good pick, he blew his knees out, MOVE ON!

Feel free to beat management up all you want over Virtanen!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, AnthonyG said:

According to Alf, you’ll find the next Scott Stevens in the Guddy threadF4A779A5-F419-4BD7-9396-4AE3C2C629E5.thumb.png.6563aae9a50c6223fa27f586bf6ca26a.png

And Niedermayer in the OJ thread. Now I have no idea where to go. Guess I'll go check what Eklund has to say about him, he's super good

• Haha 1

Maybe we could pin this quote somewhere and just refer fans to it, whenever they want to beat up on management about picking OJ

We now return you to the scheduled coverage of the JOSH BLOOM thread!

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1