The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Bloom | LW

On 4/5/2023 at 3:59 PM, AnthonyG said:

He was fired in 2014

He moved 2 #1 goalies which would support a green light of being allowed to slowly rebuild.

I see you mention 2 of JBs “missed picks” 

I havent seen you mention 1 of Gillis’s picks period.

If you are going to blame JB for OJs injuries, are you going to blame Nonis for Bourdon? How ignorant are you? Health is not a scale of how to determine wether or not that player has the skill and IQ to play. Health is completely unavoidable. OJ was consistently ranked the highest Dman by most experts. Not only that, but when was our last dman drafted in the 1st round? NINETEEN NINETY EIGHT Bryan F***ing Allen. When the hell do you plan on EVER rebuilding the blueline if you never select a dman in the 1st round? You are banking on a hope and prayer eternally.

Which rookie GM you talking about? Gillass? Or JB who at least had AGM exp?

Also JV was a Aquaweenie pick from what I heard. Not only that JB was hired 5 weeks prior to the 2014 draft where he was working with Boston all the way up until his hiring, look who Boston drafted? Pastrnak. McCann dropped in the draft and we selected BPA. 
You know what changed after the 2014 draft? OUR SCOUTING DEPARTMENT.

Who convinced FA to move the farm closer to home? JB.

Goldobin had potential. How many more games did Hansen play? 

61GP over 2 seasons with SJS before he was no longer an NHL player, so kudos to JB for moving a 9th round pick at the end of his career to obtain a 20 year recent 1st round pick who had plenty of potential.

Now heres where the IQ really shows on you. 
If you honestly believe Jay Beagle, Tim Schaller and Antoine Roussel were brought in to replace the Sedins…. LOOOOOOL 

Outgo the Twins, in come Beagle, Roussel and Schaller, you know why they were brought in? TO PROVIDE EXPERIENCE AND PLAY SPECIFIC ROLES TO HELP DEVELOP YOUTH AT THE NHL LEVEL. Such as Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Gaudette, Virtanen etc etc. Jeez man, you really are clueless. Think BIG PICTURE not little picture. I know all you think about or see is today, but you should probably start planning for tomorrow.

Also Eriksson was also a Sedin thing, they talked and the idea was fitting and everyone agreed. Not only that but this was out of respect for the l twins, to not put them through a rebuild to end their bloody careers. He rebuilt in the background without sacrificing any picks up til 2020 which was entirely worth it, infact that trade skyrocketed in value in favour of the Canucks. Without tearing it to the ground which wasnt really much to sell off, he still successfully found.

2014 Demko

2015 Boeser

2017 Pettersson

2018 Hughes

2019+ developing

Flipped Burrows for Dahlen then Dahlen for Karlsson

Brisebois is lookin good

Lind was stolen in the expansion draft, or did you completely forget that sh*t happened? 

Gadjovich is starting to make his presence known as a tough guy

Tryamkin ran home. Bennings fault right?

Gaudette was a snag and has had more NHL impact that 99% of Gillass’s picks.

JT was not a wasted pick and your IQ shows more and more. Or less and less? Idk kinda hard to tell whats going on up there.

JV was mishandled. Look at his TOI and ice distribution, lack of PP 1 time, his point production and his ever increasing defensive zone deployment. 
puts up 18g 18a without PP 1 or favourable ice time. So the next season Green decides hes going to give him 37%oZS. Lmfao, brilliant, absolutely brilliant. But I mean I guess he wasnt wrong, considering Virtanen was on for a total of 9 even strength goals against in 38GP.

Explain this salary cap disaster? Cant be any worse than the one he inheritted. Lmfao the funniest part in all of this is you clowns hail a guy who took an organization at its peak and ran it into the ground and sh*t on a GM who took it from nothing and made very few mistakes and built from the ground up and his work is what we are watching today and he is the reason we will be a contender.

I guess the salary cap disasters are

Hughes

Demko

Pettersson

Horvat at the time

Miller at the time

OEL

Myers….

Their cap predicament has nothing to do with a nearly 5mil PKer in Mikheyev right? 

or doubling down on Boeser right?

Not capitalizing on Miller or Garlands value…..

yep seems to me like they made their own bed to sleep in. They had options and plllllenty of them. 
Miller could have been moved for a fortune in the offseason. PA chose to resign him….

They moved Bo.. okay sure saved some cap there…

Hoglander>Garland… but no… they chose to keep Garland instead of capitalizing on an opportunity to move him, call Hoglander up on an ELC and save over 3mil….

Qualified Boeser when they could have moved him for a very late 1st or 2nd round pick…

They are as guilty of making their own bed in all of this. Oh and incase you missed the last 2 years of life, there was this pandemic that shut planet earth (the one us actual canuck fans live on) down for 2 years. Prevented a 4-8mil cap increase in 2020 and flattened the cap leaving JB with little to no time to figure out solutions because EVERYONE was holding their cards tight.

PS I dont count 10 impactful moves from Gillis yet. Care to finish what you started listing, or did it stop there?

Right, yet they weren’t winning - not even a playoff team. They needed more ingredients: Ehrhoff (their best offensive D, Hamhuis (their best defensive D), Samuelson, Malhotra (great defensive C), Torres, Tanev, Ballard amend Rome (more defensive depth), 

As for drafting, it’s a lot tougher picking at the end of the draft than at the beginning. Yet, Gillis negotiated a bottom of the pack first rounder, White, into his best offensive D, Ehrhoff. Tanev he picked up for nothing - a top of the list defensive D for the next ten years. He also ended the disaster in Canuck coaching by bringing Vigneault 

So yes, Burke was masterful in getting the Sedins. Nonis managed convert some high picks into players. And Gillis put together the components that brought a president’s trophy, Stanley finalist to Vancouver.

JB will always get credit for Demko, Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes - not a lot for ten years of high first and second round picks. But, he will have to also take the blame for screwing the Canucks over with bad contracts and devastating the talent pool with early, poor high first round choices, and trading away high picks and then losing the players he acquired with them by his terrible cap management and failure to keep his eye on the balls he was juggling while messed around with OEL, who turned into the worst financial disaster that the Canucks have had to overcome.

Now back to Bloom, this kid is exactly the kind of player Tocchet is looking for: good size, strong skater, defensively consciousness, straight up and down winger. Maybe they have found a left wing version of Mikheyev - a player that Tocchet will love - fast skating, straight up and down, good size, strong forecheck and backcheck, good on the PK - an asset he has not had available… yet. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Bloom and the Batallion advance to the second round with a 5-4 victory.

Bloom with one apple.

Seems Allvin is targeting young guys who can skate. Bloom is a great skater. Watching Hirose and he’s a great skater. Lots of young guys to compete for jobs. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Seems Allvin is targeting young guys who can skate. Bloom is a great skater. Watching Hirose and he’s a great skater. Lots of young guys to compete for jobs. 

Apparently there was strong competition for both Hirose and McWard, they may not be heading direct to the NHL but I belieeve they're not far off... and the depth is certainly looking better. I'm anxious to see what Johansson brings at the summer camp

• Cheers 1

On 4/9/2023 at 7:27 PM, Alflives said:

Yes. Also interesting that McDonough seemed to loosen up last game. He moves well out there for a big guy. Yes, if there is co-ordination between management and coach, with Tocchet’s advancing up the lineup of Joseph and DiGiuseppe, he is indicating the kind of player he needs to play his style. Gotta think Tocchet will love Mikheyev, and I think Bloom is his kind of guy: right size, strong skater, good two-way discipline, kills penalties, tracks well, north-south kind of winger.

I’m amazed we got this kid for so little.

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly Bloom is a younger version of Di Giuseppe, basically a quick skating ,north -south type of player, that Tocchet loves.

Also, if he picks up his scoring and adds a pestering component to his game al a Matt Cooke- but without the shenanigans, he could be useful. (Cooke made Keenan's starting roster after being in the OHL top 10 scoring the season before.) 

All that is possible for Bloom.

Bloom scored 3 big goals in the last 3 games of the 7 game series.  

Not too shabby at all. Most likely Abby bound next year. 

On 5/8/2023 at 9:41 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Bloom scored 3 big goals in the last 3 games of the 7 game series.  

Not too shabby at all. Most likely Abby bound next year. 

2nd round pick to dump Dickinson and get Bloom in return?  This all has worked out pretty well for us so far.

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

2nd round pick to dump Dickinson and get Bloom in return?  This all has worked out pretty well for us so far.

Don't cunt your chickens before they're hatched :)

• Haha 4

Just now, Fred65 said:

Don't cunt your chickens before they're hatched :)

You can't say that on this forum:lol:

I don't mean to imply Bloom is going to be a star in any way, but I'd probably value him at a 2nd round pick right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3