The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Vancouver - Calgary. Off-season.

myre

To Vancouver - Mackenzie Weegar

To Calgary - Brock Boeser

This is based on Friedman and Marek talking about rumoured Weegar trade.

We would get a right-handed shot defenseman who if he returns to his form in Florida would be a top two defenseman for us. Admittedly, he's a little older than where we are at likely. However, that being said, he would bring some respectability and some stability to the back end if he returns to his form in Florida.

Calgary would get a top six still young right-handed shot right winger as Toffoli is there only right-handed shot right winger. Calgary needs more scoring as well. 

Calgary would add roughly about $400,000 cap while we take on more term.

It's likely going to cost a fair bit more than that given the likely interest around the league.  Teams have bolstered their analytics departments and he has some of the best underlying numbers - that's going to appeal to quite a lot of teams.  Ottawa has been hoping to get Weegar out of Florida and will no doubt be trying if he is somehow available.  

Doesn't work cap wise either.  Weegar being possibly available is likely to create cap space with Calgary completely cap strapped next season where they only have 1.3M with a roster of 19 (if Kylington returns otherwise 18).  Boeser is a higher cap hit than Weegar next season - 6.65M to 6.25M for Weegar.   

The majority of teams use Sportlogiq for their tracking - Weegar 1-year ago vs his peers.  

Edited by mll

47 minutes ago, mll said:

It's likely going to cost a fair bit more than that given the likely interest around the league.  Teams have bolstered their analytics departments and he has some of the best underlying numbers - that's going to appeal to quite a lot of teams.  Ottawa has been hoping to get Weegar out of Florida and will no doubt be trying if he is somehow available.  

Doesn't work cap wise either.  Weegar being possibly available is likely to create cap space with Calgary completely cap strapped next season where they only have 1.3M with a roster of 19 (if Kylington returns otherwise 18).  Boeser is a higher cap hit than Weegar next season - 6.65M to 6.25M for Weegar.   

The majority of teams use Sportlogiq for their tracking - Weegar 1-year ago vs his peers.  

So the Ottawa comment is a rumor, and if he's good, naturally (hopefully) a management group like ours would want to add him.
Vancouver could take on some more cap and shed some other cap in other players (e.g. move Garland) to make him fit in the roster.
For each team, what makes it not feasible?  Is there no need for a defensive D-man here, and would Calgary not want to address a scoring need in their current 19th place when it comes to goals scored?  For proposals like these, it'd be more constructive to say why either team wouldn't do it, since it's easy to say "another team will get him" but that defeats the purpose of making a proposal in the first place (when in fact there may be a roster fit), and (e.g. with the Jeannot/ Kravtsov trades) stranger destinations and returns have happened, so don't say no too quickly or there'd be nothing to be creative about here (and I give OP points for creativity).

Edited by Phil_314
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

So the Ottawa comment is a rumor, and if he's good, naturally (hopefully) a management group like ours would want to add him.
Vancouver could take on some more cap and shed some other cap in other players (e.g. move Garland) to make him fit in the roster.
For each team, what makes it not feasible?  Is there no need for a defensive D-man here, and would Calgary not want to address a scoring need in their current 19th place when it comes to goals scored?  For proposals like these, it'd be more constructive to say why either team wouldn't do it, since it's easy to say "another team will get him" but that defeats the purpose of making a proposal in the first place, and (e.g. with the Jeannot/ Kravtsov trades) stranger destinations and returns have happened, so don't say no too quickly or there'd be nothing to be creative about here (and I give OP points for creativity).

Vancouver are trying to move players they don't see as essential parts of the future and who they are even actively shopping. Nashville weren't looking to trade Jeannot but every player is available if the price is right.  Tampa had to overpay for Nashville to let him go.  A Jeannot equivalent would be a Pettersson, Hughes who would require a significant overpayment to pry away.  Boeser is not in the Jeannot situation - Vancouver has been actively shopping him with his agent even involved.  Seems unfair to expect management to get a similar return when the situation are completely different.

No reason why Vancouver can't make a pitch for Weegar but there will be competition so offering just Boeser is not going to be enough.  Not really sure why you read it otherwise.  Just giving an example of a team that has been trying really hard to get him last off-season - he's from Ottawa and there had been trade talks.  Not a divisional rival either.

There are 2 parties in a trade.  Cap is a pretty serious consideration and is at times the reason why trades fall apart.  If teams are not cap compliant they are not allowed to play.  

Edited by mll

7 hours ago, mll said:

Vancouver are trying to move players they don't see as essential parts of the future and who they are even actively shopping. Nashville weren't looking to trade Jeannot but every player is available if the price is right.  Tampa had to overpay for Nashville to let him go.  A Jeannot equivalent would be a Pettersson, Hughes who would require a significant overpayment to pry away.  Boeser is not in the Jeannot situation - Vancouver has been actively shopping him with his agent even involved.  Seems unfair to expect management to get a similar return when the situation are completely different.

No reason why Vancouver can't make a pitch for Weegar but there will be competition so offering just Boeser is not going to be enough.  Not really sure why you read it otherwise.  Just giving an example of a team that has been trying really hard to get him last off-season - he's from Ottawa and there had been trade talks.  Not a divisional rival either.

There are 2 parties in a trade.  Cap is a pretty serious consideration and is at times the reason why trades fall apart.  If teams are not cap compliant they are not allowed to play.  

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Flames are in serious trouble. Huberdough and Weegar both got way overpaid. Serious negative value. 

I feel like my proposal must be somewhat decent. One poster says he is terrible. The others seems to think he is very good haha.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Would require both guys to accept the trade but if I’m taking on Weegars contract I’d only do it if I could send OEL the other way! If it were to even be possible the Canucks might do it because Weegar is a RHD and Calgary might do it because OEL is signed for 3 years less than Weegar.

While Weegar has been somewhat of a letdown just like BB has OEL isn't even an NHL caliber defenseman Calgary would laugh at that

Some people here are massively underrating Weegar. I'd love to get him, but we got OEL locked in, so not really an option. 

Calgary may be struggling, but Weegar is still a legit top 4 Dman and arguably a top pairing guy. Young and locked to term for a fair price. 

If Van offers this Calgary hangs up. 

18 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Some people here are massively underrating Weegar. I'd love to get him, but we got OEL locked in, so not really an option. 

Calgary may be struggling, but Weegar is still a legit top 4 Dman and arguably a top pairing guy. Young and locked to term for a fair price. 

If Van offers this Calgary hangs up. 

I'm not so sure they do hang up. They have too many guys on long-term contracts for what they have brought to that team. They have a solid defense without him. No trouble on the right side that's for sure. In fact, he plays the left side as well. They need scoring and younger players. He has not been a top two defenseman this year.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like your proposal. Brock has negative value too. 

In my opinion, neither have negative value. They just don't have the value that they did a year or two ago and I also think both have the ability to turn it around with the change of scenery