The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McDavid and the last quarter century

Rate this topic

Baratheon

McDavid is easily one of the best ever. He has everything. A mutant.

Gets a knee injury that humbles most players and doesn't even have a surgery but comes back even stronger and just as fast.

Maybe a little like Selane had, he was barely able to keep up and then went home and came back as fast as ever.

I like watching him, it is too bad there are a second set of rules for him. He should be drawing slashing, hooking and holding calls all night every game.

Can he shoot? YA

Can he skate? YA

Can he stick handle? YA

Can he pass? YA

I bet he can fight too. YA

One day someone is going to mix it up with him and they will be bringing the stretcher out.

But I do wonder how he would have done in the clutch and grab days? But then the goalies had equipment for protection not stopping the puck so probably better.

He is a phenom and should be watched at every chance.

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

Here is the 80's ...  No other decade looks like this.   

All skaters: 

EFC8CE43-883B-444D-A040-3F5D43530D7A.png

Spoiler

you will also notice that 5 of the 13 players played on the same team. and 4 of the top 6 all in their prime growing together. that also never happened before.  there hasnt been a team built like the oilers since... maybe some pens teams came close, or possibly some detroit or avalanche teams in the late 90's early 2000's Pre Cap Era.

i decided to bite and review the league from an honest stand point. This is a fricking novel so im sorry.

I choose to separate the league from the most significant point in time the 1967 expansion, as it tells the best story...

1957-1966 Pre Expansion

dont know much about this era, i know a little about the 70's

huge drop from 1st @1.10 P/PG to -17th at 0.78

1st Dominated 17th by 1.41*

1957decade.png.2b7efde01fb9e2f6cac48738727ee5f7.png

Interesting to see Gordie, Bobby, Frank, Stan, Jean, Johhny all improve  during their twilight of their careers... something that never happened before... I wonder why... Hmmm maybe the 1967 expansion?

1967-1976

Interesting to see Gordie, Bobby, Frank, Stan, Jean, Johhny all improve  during their twilight of their careers... something that never happened before... I wonder why... Hmmm maybe the 1967 expansion?

Esposito and Orr join forces

we go from 90 point seasons to 150

1st 1.10P/PG to 1.51

17th 0.78 P/PG to 1.05 PPG

everyone improves a metric ton in this decade.

1st dominated 17th by 1.44*

1967decade.png.780656dfa9f4a93c4839a22a11b69876.png

1977-1986 Guy Lafleur and Marcel Dionne, Trottier Improve, Gretz and Mario dominate

gretzky takes the throne

we go from 150 point seasons to 210 point seasons

1st 1.51 to 2.40 P/PG huge improvement

17th 1.15 to 1.17 P/PG there was not much improvement on the 17th best player

1st dominated 17th by 2.05*

1977decade.png.d95d400225fb774027f7597bac635f2d.png

1987-1996 I probably know the most about this era.

Mario and Messier Benefit from the Gretzky trade.

Mario also gets Jagr Francis and Coffey

Messier gets to run the show and plays for some really good teams with some really good players.

Yzerman breaks out in 87 and then his team improves every year over year eventually getting Coffey.

Gretz, Coffey,Kurri suffers, as proof that even when coffey and kurri by being traded to worse teams they all had there numbers drop.

Hull and Oates Macinnis  enter there prime together.

Selanne and Kariya.

Forsberg and Sakic

Every other player in the league pretty much has there numbers drop

Mario takes the throne.

we go from 210 to 190 point seasons

1st we go from 2.4 to 2.16 P/PG

17th we stay about the same 1.17 to 1.16 P/PG

1st dominated 17th by 1.86*

1987decade.png.6f5437409de84b3457caa2ff4a186791.png

1997-2006

Jagr Improves without the presence of Lemieux despite playing for pretty mediocre teams as he gets to become a top center for the first time in his career.

Pretty much no one from the past decade other than Jagr improves.

Crosby Takes the throne from Mario.

we go from 190 to 120 point seasons

1st 2.16 to 1.39 P/PG

17th 1.16 to 0.98 P/PG

massive drop offs

1st dominated 17th by 1.42*

1997decade.png.e2f1d40109a51423919312ca11103f7c.png

2007-2016

Crosby Ovechkin and malkin, Kane dominate with all 3 having very good teams with good goalies as well.

No one improves other than the sedins who took the torch from bertuzzi and naslund.

we basically go to 120 to 100 point seasons only 5 seasons that broke into 110 points

1st 1.39 to 1.29 P/PG

17th 0.98 to 0.92 P/PG NHL's second lowest in this time.

1st dominated 17th by 1.4*

2007decade.png.e63376ed6d8d50ed42440dd1ea783077.png

2017 to present

Colorado, Boston TBL and  all rise to great heights with some very stacked teams and some very good cap manipulation...

Edmonton is a crap team with the best player in the world and another top 5 player in Draits.

Mcdavid takes the throne

we go from 100 point season to 150?

1st 1.29 to 1.59 P/PG the third highest in NHL History

17th 0.92 to 1.07P/PG Right in the middle

1st dominated 17th by 1.49* third highest in NHL history.

2017halfdecade.png.642a1805d24ffb48380b61b6070bd6db.png

there has been only a few players that dominated for 2 decades in the top 18 and only 4 that dominated for near 20 seasons

1st Tier

Gretz

Mario

Second Tier

Howe 

Crosby

Beliveau

Jagr

Guy Lafleur

Yzerman

third tier

Hard time ranking these 50 and 60's players

Makita

Mahovlich

Bobby Hull

Sakic

Messier (he probably deserves to be higher but i hate him)

Trottier

Datsyuk

These get ranked lower because they are not finished their career but i will include them because they dominated so much.

Ovechkin

Kane

Malkin

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Cup_Joneser said:
  Reveal hidden contents

you will also notice that 5 of the 13 players played on the same team. and 4 of the top 6 all in their prime growing together. that also never happened before.  there hasnt been a team built like the oilers since... maybe some pens teams came close, or possibly some detroit or avalanche teams in the late 90's early 2000's Pre Cap Era.

i decided to bite and review the league from an honest stand point. This is a fricking novel so im sorry.

I choose to separate the league from the most significant point in time the 1967 expansion, as it tells the best story...

1957-1966 Pre Expansion

dont know much about this era, i know a little about the 70's

huge drop from 1st @1.10 P/PG to -17th at 0.78

1st Dominated 17th by 1.41*

1957decade.png.2b7efde01fb9e2f6cac48738727ee5f7.png

1967-1976

Esposito and Orr join forces

we go from 90 point seasons to 150

1st 1.10P/PG to 1.51

17th 0.78 P/PG to 1.05 PPG

everyone improves a metric ton in this decade.

1st dominated 17th by 1.44*

1967decade.png.780656dfa9f4a93c4839a22a11b69876.png

1977-1986 Guy Lafleur and Marcel Dionne, Trottier Improve, Gretz and Mario dominate

gretzky takes the throne

we go from 150 point seasons to 210 point seasons

1st 1.51 to 2.40 P/PG huge improvement

17th 1.15 to 1.17 P/PG there was not much improvement on the 17th best player

1st dominated 17th by 2.05*

1977decade.png.d95d400225fb774027f7597bac635f2d.png

1987-1996 I probably know the most about this era.

Mario and Messier Benefit from the Gretzky trade.

Mario also gets Jagr Francis and Coffey

Messier gets to run the show and plays for some really good teams with some really good players.

Yzerman breaks out in 87 and then his team improves every year over year eventually getting Coffey.

Gretz, Coffey,Kurri suffers, as proof that even when coffey and kurri by being traded to worse teams they all had there numbers drop.

Hull and Oates Macinnis  enter there prime together.

Selanne and Kariya.

Forsberg and Sakic

Every other player in the league pretty much has there numbers drop

Mario takes the throne.

we go from 210 to 190 point seasons

1st we go from 2.4 to 2.16 P/PG

17th we stay about the same 1.17 to 1.16 P/PG

1st dominated 17th by 1.86*

1987decade.png.6f5437409de84b3457caa2ff4a186791.png

1997-2006

Jagr Improves without the presence of Lemieux despite playing for pretty mediocre teams as he gets to become a top center for the first time in his career.

Pretty much no one from the past decade other than Jagr improves.

Crosby Takes the throne from Mario.

we go from 190 to 120 point seasons

1st 2.16 to 1.39 P/PG

17th 1.16 to 0.98 P/PG

massive drop offs

1st dominated 17th by 1.42*

1997decade.png.e2f1d40109a51423919312ca11103f7c.png

2007-2016

Crosby Ovechkin and malkin, Kane dominate with all 3 having very good teams with good goalies as well.

No one improves other than the sedins who took the torch from bertuzzi and naslund.

we basically go to 120 to 100 point seasons only 5 seasons that broke into 110 points

1st 1.39 to 1.29 P/PG

17th 0.98 to 0.92 P/PG NHL's second lowest in this time.

1st dominated 17th by 1.4*

2007decade.png.e63376ed6d8d50ed42440dd1ea783077.png

2017 to present

Colorado, Boston TBL and  all rise to great heights with some very stacked teams and some very good cap manipulation...

Edmonton is a crap team with the best player in the world and another top 5 player in Draits.

Mcdavid takes the throne

we go from 100 point season to 150?

1st 1.29 to 1.59 P/PG the third highest in NHL History

17th 0.92 to 1.07P/PG Right in the middle

1st dominated 17th by 1.49* third highest in NHL history.

2017halfdecade.png.642a1805d24ffb48380b61b6070bd6db.png

there has been only a few players that dominated for 2 decades in the top 18 and only 4 that dominated for near 20 seasons

1st Tier

Gretz

Mario

Second Tier

Howe 

Crosby

Beliveau

Jagr

Guy Lafleur

Yzerman

third tier

Hard time ranking these 50 and 60's players

Makita

Mahovlich

Bobby Hull

Sakic

Messier (he probably deserves to be higher but i hate him)

Trottier

Datsyuk

These get ranked lower because they are not finished their career but i will include them because they dominated so much.

Ovechkin

Kane

Malkin

Love your interest in what now is hockey history.    Each decade for sure had its own flavour.    Expansion for sure also had an effect on scoring but not in a positive way when it came to the 90's.   SJ quickly figured out how to mimic the trap, as did other talent "challenged" rosters.   Hooking and holding and interference had been complained about publicly by Hull, Mario and others pre lockout.    It just got worse.    Roy changed the game as much as any player popularizing the butterfly.   Hall used it - but back then it was frowned upon ... so did Parent to a degree, it's not like it was never part of the goalies thing.   9/10 goals scored along the ice back then.   Made it pretty easy to make a guy like Richard Broduer and Vernon - or Furh - who when on would stop a pea at 100 MPH or catch it anyways, despite being short...Irbe lol he stoned Detroit with the trap and his reflexes.   Those guys were elite too.   Just not technically advanced.   

As for your tiers - cool.   I'd add Orr on the top tier.   Potvin,  Robinson and Lidstrom on the second tier with Borque.   Coffey too although his first ten years were on par with Orr's- and both were tough as nails.    I'd actually consider a tier between one and too - and put Roy, Hasek and Coffey there.    Get it's about longevity too.   Richard needs to be acknowledged, second tier.   Have a trophy named after him.     Hull senior, 900 pro goals, still considered a top ten fastest skater all-time ... Where Ovi ends up he should as well.  

Espo was the Wayne Gretzky of the 70's ... people wanted to be him playing street hockey or Bobby Clark and later Lafluer.   Dionne was special too.  Those guys belong with Lafleur.    Dionne scored 400 or so more points playing on mediocre at best teams than Lafluer.   Clark is right up there with Gretzky for plus minus for forwards.    My first favourite player, because I liked his hair and his smile lol. 

As far as power plays go ... yes after the lockout the refs were told to call holding, hooking and pick plays that guys since around 1990 had to deal with at an increasing rate.      The game is nothing like it was in the 70's - those guys were tough - same as the 80's and the progressively monster sized guys of the 90's to mid 2000's.     Expansion and goons.   Not the best.   But sure did love the product from the time I was little until the late mid-late 90's.   The 2000's were bad.  

As for the modern athlete:   The guys in the 80's-90's looked like they were in better shape.   Go look at the TB lighting playing volleyball ... wow.   My crews vet's looked a lot tighter than that doing 50-60 hours of hard labour daily.      Not exactly Bobby Hull or Howe ripped.   Not even Kesler ripped.   So i don't buy into "guys are in way better shape now " with anything past the 70's.   Weightlifting and fitness was a craze back then.   The average gen x kid was hitting the gym at 12-13.    And spent all their time outside causing trouble.    Tochett.   Rod the Bod.  Chelios.   Messier - the boomers also knew their way around a gym.    Theo Fleury and Coffey talked about how the game used to be all out war.   It's not like that anymore, a lot tamer.   Nutrition and sleep therapy only go so far.   

McDavid, it's great for the game to have a guy playing at another level.    My hackles get up a little when it's suggested previous era's couldn't play in todays games.   I think that's silly.    And like I said, it's not hard to go back on, one decade at a time.     Sedins took a ton of abuse until the lockout.   After that they had it easy.   I'm sure they are grateful for sticking it out.   At the start they weren't sure.   

Edit: Jagr was a RW. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 2/28/2023 at 6:15 PM, Bounce000 said:

I like how before the start of the season Mcdavid was all like “I’m going to shoot the puck more”

And now he’s going to win the Richard.

I remember myself and a bunch of other friends saying similar about Gretzky! Wow he sure gets assists but he’s not a goal scorer…then he goes and gets 92 lmao!! 

5 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

I remember myself and a bunch of other friends saying similar about Gretzky! Wow he sure gets assists but he’s not a goal scorer…then he goes and gets 92 lmao!! 

51 then 55 goals weren't enough I guess.   Or 43 in the WHA as a 17 year old.    Back then there was a lot of folks waiting for him to be broken in half.   The media was saying he'd be smashed into smitherings.   Maybe he would have without Semenko.  But in todays game he'd be scoring like a bandit too. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

51 then 55 goals weren't enough I guess.   Or 43 in the WHA as a 17 year old.    Back then there was a lot of folks waiting for him to be broken in half.   The media was saying he'd be smashed into smitherings.   Maybe he would have without Semenko.  But in todays game he'd be scoring like a bandit too. 

Yeah I guess no one thought he was going to break every record imaginable was more the reality.

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

Love your interest in what now is hockey history.    Each decade for sure had its own flavour.    Expansion for sure also had an effect on scoring but not in a positive way when it came to the 90's.   SJ quickly figured out how to mimic the trap, as did other talent "challenged" rosters.   Hooking and holding and interference had been complained about publicly by Hull, Mario and others pre lockout.    It just got worse.    Roy changed the game as much as any player popularizing the butterfly.   Hall used it - but back then it was frowned upon ... so did Parent to a degree, it's not like it was never part of the goalies thing.   9/10 goals scored along the ice back then.   Made it pretty easy to make a guy like Richard Broduer and Vernon - or Furh - who when on would stop a pea at 100 MPH or catch it anyways, despite being short...Irbe lol he stoned Detroit with the trap and his reflexes.   Those guys were elite too.   Just not technically advanced.   

As for your tiers - cool.   I'd add Orr on the top tier.   Potvin,  Robinson and Lidstrom on the second tier with Borque.   Coffey too although his first ten years were on par with Orr's- and both were tough as nails.    I'd actually consider a tier between one and too - and put Roy, Hasek and Coffey there.    Get it's about longevity too.   Richard needs to be acknowledged, second tier.   Have a trophy named after him.     Hull senior, 900 pro goals, still considered a top ten fastest skater all-time ... Where Ovi ends up he should as well.  

Espo was the Wayne Gretzky of the 70's ... people wanted to be him playing street hockey or Bobby Clark and later Lafluer.   Dionne was special too.  Those guys belong with Lafleur.    Dionne scored 400 or so more points playing on mediocre at best teams than Lafluer.   Clark is right up there with Gretzky for plus minus for forwards.    My first favourite player, because I liked his hair and his smile lol. 

As far as power plays go ... yes after the lockout the refs were told to call holding, hooking and pick plays that guys since around 1990 had to deal with at an increasing rate.      The game is nothing like it was in the 70's - those guys were tough - same as the 80's and the progressively monster sized guys of the 90's to mid 2000's.     Expansion and goons.   Not the best.   But sure did love the product from the time I was little until the late mid-late 90's.   The 2000's were bad.  

As for the modern athlete:   The guys in the 80's-90's looked like they were in better shape.   Go look at the TB lighting playing volleyball ... wow.   My crews vet's looked a lot tighter than that doing 50-60 hours of hard labour daily.      Not exactly Bobby Hull or Howe ripped.   Not even Kesler ripped.   So i don't buy into "guys are in way better shape now " with anything past the 70's.   Weightlifting and fitness was a craze back then.   The average gen x kid was hitting the gym at 12-13.    And spent all their time outside causing trouble.    Tochett.   Rod the Bod.  Chelios.   Messier - the boomers also knew their way around a gym.    Theo Fleury and Coffey talked about how the game used to be all out war.   It's not like that anymore, a lot tamer.   Nutrition and sleep therapy only go so far.   

McDavid, it's great for the game to have a guy playing at another level.    My hackles get up a little when it's suggested previous era's couldn't play in todays games.   I think that's silly.    And like I said, it's not hard to go back on, one decade at a time.     Sedins took a ton of abuse until the lockout.   After that they had it easy.   I'm sure they are grateful for sticking it out.   At the start they weren't sure.   

Edit: Jagr was a RW. 

I seperated the forwards from the defence because I just think they should be separated. and honestly know nothing before the 80's in terms of defenceman, so i would be REALLY Guessing with my list.

I think it would be fun to make a all generation team for each decade. 12 forwards 6D and two goalies.

BTW i do like history of the NHL... one of my favorite things is to read up on crazy enforcers from the late 60's and 70's... I think the war really screwed up some families and boy some of the players were insane.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Cup_Joneser said:

I seperated the forwards from the defence because I just think they should be separated. and honestly know nothing before the 80's in terms of defenceman, so i would be REALLY Guessing with my list.

I think it would be fun to make a all generation team for each decade. 12 forwards 6D and two goalies.

BTW i do like history of the NHL... one of my favorite things is to read up on crazy enforcers from the late 60's and 70's... I think the war really screwed up some families and boy some of the players were insane.

Ferguson is considered the first enforcer - those guys could actually play the game too.   Even Shultz had 20 goal seasons, pretty hard to do spending 350-400 plus minutes in a box.   The story behind why PHI went out and found a half dozen or so of the toughest SOB's in Canada (world) is a good one.   Got bullied by a couple St. Louis brothers.... and added fighting as a tactic.    They also had some great players (PHI).    I'd recommend watching some of the documentaries about that team it's pretty cool.   The league hated them.   Other teams hated them.   Fans too.  Police were involved and charges filed in Vancouver....

Boston was also a tough team.   Other teams started to follow suit and the enforcer became a thing in hockey, where all teams had one or two bad asses to defend team honour, keep the code in check etc.    You know the 90's so should be familiar with how we also had 20-30 excellent players, some HHOFers, (Neely, Shanny) others like Corson, Tochett,  Clarke,  Kevin Stevens, Kerr ... it was something.    Beast mode guys.  Corson-Iginla types.    Benn and Wilson are probably the only ones left in the game now.    That part is kind of sad.

Even guys like Orr and Coffey could take care of themselves.    The 70's, grew up hearing stories about them from kids five years older and some adults.   PHI was a great team ...  Wasn't until Big Bird came into the scene that the Habs started to really shine, single handedly went through their roster one at a time, no more PHI flu.   Gillies in NYI...

Williams.   Smyl.   Fraser.  Snepsts. Delorme.    I'm not sure the 94 team could have handled the 82 one in the alley, and that says a lot, because it was big mean and strong.    Antoski.  Gino.  Momesso.  Diduck.  Babych.    Both teams were loaded with character and grit.  

Vancouver also reacted to the Flyers hockey.   So did every other team.   Guys like Williams, McSorely,  Manson, Probert  and Domi could take a regular shift and not hurt you (Manson two all-star games, Probert one - back when you had to earn a spot).    Even without the fighting, the goons that was too bad.   Worrel, Parker, Twist etc - they didn't belong but expansion led to opening up spots.   There wasn't enough enforcers to go around.    What the Flyers did, was something.   They didn't quite have a dynasty, but the impact on the game lasted for decades.   Can't say that about the NYI or MTL dynasties.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Well, he's up to 60 goals now.  Only a handful of players (four I think?) have managed to hit this mark since the 1995 lockout.  Nobody else in the league has hit 50 yet lol.  With 138 total points he is now well ahead of anything we've seen since Lemieux and Gretz dominated the game.  Still ten games to go!

Edmonton is hoping to gain home ice advantage in the playoffs so I doubt he'll be letting off the gas down the stretch. 

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Heretic said:

Anyone that doesn't think much of McDavid is out to lunch.

If he was a Canuck from day 1, we would all be sky high.

Yeah some of the comments about him are pretty cringey lol.  Crosby used to get a lot of hate as well.  Some people are just determined to be contrarian.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

60 goals ... quite the achievement!   Is 70 doable?   Yes I think he will score at least 70 this year ... that puts him in some elite company.   Only 8 players have done it ... two fringe HHOFers in Mogilny (should be in for sure) and Nicholls.   Only Mario, Wayne and Brett Hull did that more than once.   

Two more seasons for sure with Draisatl...  McJesus legacy is already great ... sure would be nice to see him rattle off a couple more.  

23 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Well, he's up to 60 goals now.  Only a handful of players (four I think?) have managed to hit this mark since the 1995 lockout.  Nobody else in the league has hit 50 yet lol.  With 138 total points he is now well ahead of anything we've seen since Lemieux and Gretz dominated the game.  Still ten games to go!

Edmonton is hoping to gain home ice advantage in the playoffs so I doubt he'll be letting off the gas down the stretch. 

By the time he's done, likely moving into one of the top 20 most productive seasons ever.   If he can get to 156, the only guys ahead of him (13 combined seasons) are Mario and Gretzky.   That's very special.    

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Yeah some of the comments about him are pretty cringey lol.  Crosby used to get a lot of hate as well.  Some people are just determined to be contrarian.

If he's getting compared to guys like Yzerman, Sakic,  Bossy, Kurri, Hull(s), Crosby and Ovi - that's a pretty special group.   Espo deserves props as well.   McDavid has been on fire since last season's playoffs.   He's playing like he's on a mission.   RNH and others are helping too.   EDM would be a force to reckon with, IF they can tighten things up, play a little better infront of their goalies and get top ten goaltending this playoff.    Like when Mario and Gretzky were playing, the goal now playing against him is just to tie whatever they are doing.   Shutting those guys down is a difficult task.     Mario with three guys draped on him, and Gretzky so good with the puck, forcing guys to try and take it from him and watching them blow by like fools (EPs done that this year ... Gretzky did that all the time, like Bure skating fast with the puck all the time, with Gretzky, he'd fake half a line and play 5 moves ahead.   Shanny said 10 but that's just to make a point. 

Orr with the puck on the PK...just give it to him and he'd rag the puck lol.    Gretzky on the PK was good for 8-12 shorties a season for half his career.    McDavid should be able to rattle off two more boffo seasons.   Hope he does too.    But don't think it's a disservice to bring past greats into it...it's a compliment. 

Edited by IBatch
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

McWhiner plays for the Soilers. Hate them. Hate him. He will never get his hands on the Cup. 

Dale Hawerchuk was a great player on some bad/mediocre jets teams ...  McDavid could suffer the same fate - but his teams aren't as lacking.    Dionne 2.0? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Dale Hawerchuk was a great player on some bad/mediocre jets teams ...  McDavid could suffer the same fate - but his teams aren't as lacking.    Dionne 2.0? 

Agreed. Very much Dionne. 
Great with puck on stick and attacking. Not very good off the puck. 

44 minutes ago, IBatch said:

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed. Very much Dionne. 
Great with puck on stick and attacking. Not very good off the puck. 

I'd say the main difference is the Art Ross Trophy.  After this season McDavid will have 5 of them.  That means that only Gretz, Lemieux and Howe will have more.  Howe and Lemieux have 6 of them so there's a good chance that Connor catches them fairly soon.  

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

I'd say the main difference is the Art Ross Trophy.  After this season McDavid will have 5 of them.  That means that only Gretz, Lemieux and Howe will have more.  Howe and Lemieux have 6 of them so there's a good chance that Connor catches them fairly soon.  

Dionne put up 1800 points. McDavid will end his career around that number. Both will never touch the Cup. Fun as hell to watch with the puck, and funny to watch without it. 

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dionne put up 1800 points. McDavid will end his career around that number. Both will never touch the Cup. Fun as hell to watch with the puck, and funny to watch without it. 

Do you think that's how history will remember it though?  Years from now when he's being inducted in to the hall do you think Dionne is who they're going to be comparing him to?  Might not be fair but that's not my point.  My point is that he'll be remembered for his scoring titles.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Heretic said:

Anyone that doesn't think much of McDavid is out to lunch.

If he was a Canuck from day 1, we would all be sky high.

Yes.   Most likely we'd be saying he's the best player we've ever had - maybe some would say no it was Bure.   And a few Mogilny.    Even now, EPs getting some love for being the best we've ever had.    And rightly so.   Bure was a one man/line wrecking ball.    EP makes those around him better.    Not that Bure didn't lol... probably would have 75 goals the year he played with Gino, spent a considerable amount of effort setting him up (and swear half the time Gino whiffed on an empty net!).    God bless Gino though.   Heart was three sizes bigger than most.  

Edited by IBatch