The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McDavid and the last quarter century

Rate this topic

Baratheon

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes.   Most likely we'd be saying he's the best player we've ever had - maybe some would say no it was Bure.   And a few Mogilny.    Even now, EPs getting some love for being the best we've ever had.    And rightly so.   Bure was a one man/line wrecking ball.    EP makes those around him better.    Not that Bure didn't lol... probably would have 75 goals the year he played with Gino, spent a considerable amount of effort setting him up (and swear half the time Gino whiffed on an empty net!).    God bless Gino though.   Heart was three sizes bigger than most.  

Man, if Bure played in today's NHL - he would easily get 75 goals.  Bure is my fav Canuck player all time, but McDavid is a more complete player.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DS4quality said:

I'll bet McDavid ends up 3rd or 2nd in all times goals scored. I bet he ends up with close to 80 next season.  

Nope.   I bet he ends up with around 650-700.   Nothing to be ashamed of (assuming he plays at least 17 seasons).  Gretzky shoulders and back slowed him down considerably in the shot department, kept it up until his early 30's ... at some point the same thing is likely to happen to him.   Doesn't have the frame that Howe, Hull senior , Jagr and Ovi had/have.    So 900 pro goals isn't going to happen.    My bet is somewhere between 650-700 if things work out for him health wise.   Once cap stuff comes in, two more full years with Draisatl (he's scoring a lot when it's not even strength), he's going to have the same challenges Kane and Toews had.   Sure he's good enough to keep it up ... 40 goals for 12 more years assuming he can do 20 full seasons, likely still has him around 700.  Going to need to string together a lot of 50 plus goal years to come close to top ten.     A lot of guys lost at least 1/2-1 years due to lockouts that otherwise would had added to their totals, covid did that to him.   He's got a decent shot at being in the mid 700's but that would mean a good amount  longevity (17-20 seasons).   Nothing wrong with that either, and it would put him with some of the best goal scorers to play the game.    Personally I think he's having his best season right now.   Playoff games start to take a toll.   I think they make it to the Western Conference final this year.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

Man, if Bure played in today's NHL - he would easily get 75 goals.  Bure is my fav Canuck player all time, but McDavid is a more complete player.

Yes me too.   Also think if Lindros played today he'd do to Tom Wilson what he did to Panarin.    Nobody could handle him in todays game. 

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes me too.   Also think if Lindros played today he'd do to Tom Wilson what he did to Panarin.    Nobody could handle him in todays game. 

I must say, I am very impressed with Kuzmenko, reminds me a bit of Bure.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 4:43 PM, Baratheon said:

Well there it is! 
McDavid has hit 150! Unreal.  I thought those kinds of numbers were relegated to my childhood and earlier.

Sitting at 152, one game to play.   Yzerman ahead of him with 155, then just Mario and Wayne ahead of that..Espo currently tied but ahead of McDavid in goals by a bunch at 152.    Looks like he needs a four point game or two goals and an assist to pass Yzerman.     Wouldn't bet against him.   Gretzky had a flare for the dramatic when it came to beating records lol...a five goal game to get to 50 in 39 or something like that,  and scored 4 the game before that lol.   So does McDavid. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Sitting at 152, one game to play.   Yzerman ahead of him with 155, then just Mario and Wayne ahead of that..Espo currently tied but ahead of McDavid in goals by a bunch at 152.    Looks like he needs a four point game or two goals and an assist to pass Yzerman.     Wouldn't bet against him.   Gretzky had a flare for the dramatic when it came to beating records lol...a five goal game to get to 50 in 39 or something like that,  and scored 4 the game before that lol.   So does McDavid. 

Steve Yzerman and Phil Esposito.  Man that's two of my personal all-time favourite players.  I'm not sure if I want McDavid to catch them haha!  

I guess I do because it would be cool to witness history.  Doing it in the last game would be pretty dramatic for sure.  

I believe an Edmonton win combined with a Vegas (regulation) loss would give Edmonton 1st place in the division.  So there's that as well.

• Cheers 1

Pretty cool to be witnessing history unfolding before us.  It really isn't fair that Edmonton got Gretzky and Mcdavid.  Would be nice if we could just get a 1st OA pick ...this year... that's all I ask. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 4/12/2023 at 4:49 PM, HKSR said:

Pretty cool to be witnessing history unfolding before us.  It really isn't fair that Edmonton got Gretzky and Mcdavid.  Would be nice if we could just get a 1st OA pick ...this year... that's all I ask. 

3 out of 100 multi-verses...Canucks end up with Bedard.   Sure hope we are in one of those lucky ones.    It's would be good for the game, and make a lot of things right about slipping in the lottery and whiffing on BPA 2 or 3 times the last 8 years or so.      Hockey gods be nice! 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 9:49 PM, HKSR said:

Still peeved that Oilers got McD spoon fed...

After f'ing up the 1OA so many times and sucking so bad, they had to change the draft system, they still got to draft McD despite not being the worst team (standing wise)...

While Canucks as usual got screwed over...

NHL doesn't like Canucks, but they need them in the league...

Showed their true colours in 2011 with some rather dodgy decisions behind the scene, that didn't favour the Canucks... 

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Still peeved that Oilers got McD spoon fed...

After f'ing up the 1OA so many times and sucking so bad, they had to change the draft system, they still got to draft McD despite not being the worst team (standing wise)...

While Canucks as usual got screwed over...

NHL doesn't like Canucks, but they need them in the league...

Showed their true colours in 2011 with some rather dodgy decisions behind the scene, that didn't favour the Canucks...

The Rome suspension in 2011 was a joke.  Especially if there was going to be nothing for the injury to Raymond.

That said...the Canucks were treated pretty fair in 1994, maybe even better than fair.  They got screwed a bit with the extra day before Game 7 against the Rangers...but did anybody really not want to give Linden an extra day as he crawled off the ice at the end of Game 6?  An extra day for Kirk McLean who had set the new NHL record for minutes played in one playoffs?  The Canucks also were given a gift when Bure wasn't suspended for ending Shane Churla's career and the refs did call Gary Roberts every single time he ran Kirk McLean in round one.

• Like 1

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

The Rome suspension in 2011 was a joke.  Especially if there was going to be nothing for the injury to Raymond.

That said...the Canucks were treated pretty fair in 1994, maybe even better than fair.  They got screwed a bit with the extra day before Game 7 against the Rangers...but did anybody really not want to give Linden an extra day as he crawled off the ice at the end of Game 6?  An extra day for Kirk McLean who had set the new NHL record for minutes played in one playoffs?  The Canucks also were given a gift when Bure wasn't suspended for ending Shane Churla's career and the refs did call Gary Roberts every single time he ran Kirk McLean in round one.

I've often thought that the Bertuzzi incident has had long term lingering effect, just like the Luongo deal cheesed the NHL off... Even the way the got Bure may have hacked them off...

During 2011 the Rome suspension was unreal... Having Daddy running the NHL....

Mind you you are absolutely right especially with the Bure incident... Tough one as they want the real stars to play in order to sell the product... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I've often thought that the Bertuzzi incident has had long term lingering effect, just like the Luongo deal cheesed the NHL off... Even the way the got Bure may have hacked them off...

Mind you you are absolutely right especially with the Bure incident... Tough one as they want the real stars to play in order to sell the product... 

Yeah that's the thing.  Bure wouldn't get suspended, nor would Messier for his cheap shot on Linden at the end of game six.  Had Bure's elbow been delivered by John McIntyre or had it been Jay Wells hammering Linden as he was crawling along the ice, who knows...

So if it's old #6D on the depth chart Aaron Rome...sure why not suspend him for an unprecedented four games of the Stanley Cup final...for INTERFERENCE.  Hey no big deal right...but Hamhuis is injured out of the series so now the Canucks don't have their #2D or the guy who was bumped up to #5 by Hamhuis' absence.  All because it's no big deal to just remove a low marquee name player from the series because the Bruins don't have to be expected to restrain themselves the next time they see him.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah that's the thing.  Bure wouldn't get suspended, nor would Messier for his cheap shot on Linden at the end of game six.  Had Bure's elbow been delivered by John McIntyre or had it been Jay Wells hammering Linden as he was crawling along the ice, who knows...

So if it's old #6D on the depth chart Aaron Rome...sure why not suspend him for an unprecedented four games of the Stanley Cup final...for INTERFERENCE.  Hey no big deal right...until Hamhuis is injured out of the series so now the Canucks don't have their #2D or the guy who was bumped up to #5 by Hamhuis' absence.  All because it's no big deal to just remove a low marquee name player from the series because the Bruins don't have to be expected to restrain themselves the next time they see him.

It was so rotten... despite the hate on Rome (Alain Vigneault love child etc.) Rome actually played his part to perfection.

He was strong and solid on the D, something we were in dire need of once the Bruins turned up the heat...

If Rome gets one game, maybe even two Canucks wins the cup... I have zero doubt about that...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, spook007 said:

16 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

So if it's old #6D on the depth chart Aaron Rome...sure why not suspend him for an unprecedented four games of the Stanley Cup final...for INTERFERENCE.  Hey no big deal right...but Hamhuis is injured out of the series so now the Canucks don't have their #2D or the guy who was bumped up to #5 by Hamhuis' absence.  All because it's no big deal to just remove a low marquee name player from the series because the Bruins don't have to be expected to restrain themselves the next time they see him.

A 4 game suspension in the Stanley Cup finals is like a 20 game regular season suspension.  Still can't believe it.  Think back these past 12 years.  How many guys have gotten a 4 game suspension in just the regular season?  Even as repeat offenders.  Aaron Rome got 4.... 4 in the Stanley Cup finals.  Just unbelievable when you really think about it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

A 4 game suspension in the Stanley Cup finals is like a 20 game regular season suspension.  Still can't believe it.  Think back these past 12 years.  How many guys have gotten a 4 game suspension in just the regular season?  Even as repeat offenders.  Aaron Rome got 4.... 4 in the Stanley Cup finals.  Just unbelievable when you really think about it.

A freaking disgrace.... It was not like he took out a superstar... It was interference, where the player fell awkwardly... utter garbage.

My goodness, TSN staff sucks.  Second in Rocket Richard Trophy "voting."  His first ever 63 goal season?  Why are they hiring people who don't even follow hockey...

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/connor-mcdavid-edmonton-oilers-wins-wins-art-ross-trophy-rocket-richard-trophy-1.1946149

Edmonton Oilers forward Connor McDavid has been named the Art Ross Trophy and Rocket Richard Trophy winner, the National Hockey League announced Friday. 

The 26-year-old Richmond Hill, Ont., native led the league in points, with his 153 points being 25 more than the second-most point getter in Oilers teammate Leon Draisaitl (128). This honour marks McDavid's fifth-career Art Ross Trophy and his third in a row. 

Selected first overall by the Oilers in the 2015 NHL Draft, the former Erie Otter posted his first-career 63-goal season, surpassing his previous career-high of 44 goals set last season. 

McDavid finished second in Rocket Richard Trophy voting last season to Toronto Maple Leafs centre Auston Matthews.

McDavid helped the Oilers finish second in the Western Conference with 109 points, their most since the 1985-86 season (119). 

The Oilers will face the Los Angeles Kings in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. 

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Haha 2