The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Ducks trade Henry Thrun to Sharks for 2024 3rd-round pick

The Ducks have acquired a 2024 third-round NHL Draft selection from San Jose for defenseman Henry Thrun. With the acquisition, Anaheim now has 11 selections in the first three rounds of the next two NHL Drafts (two first-round picks, five second-round picks and four third-round picks).

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/ducks-acquire-2024-third-round-pick-from-san-jose-for-thrun/c-341612520

Interesting... This is the NCAA dman that refused to sign with Anaheim.  

Let's see if San Jose signs him, otherwise it's a waste of a draft pick. 

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

Interesting... This is the NCAA dman that refused to sign with Anaheim.  

Let's see if San Jose signs him, otherwise it's a waste of a draft pick. 

Thank you! When I went to look him up my search results showed I already had but I didn't know why.

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Surprising to see the Ducks get that much for him. Even more surprising it’s from another California team. Hard to see why a Massachusetts born, Harvard senior, months away from free agency, is going to see NoCal as a good fit, when SoCal was not. Maybe the Sharks will flip his rights to Boston in a few weeks?

Maybe he has beef with Zegras.

33 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Surprising to see the Ducks get that much for him. Even more surprising it’s from another California team. Hard to see why a Massachusetts born, Harvard senior, months away from free agency, is going to see NoCal as a good fit, when SoCal was not. Maybe the Sharks will flip his rights to Boston in a few weeks?

You would still think it's easy for a city like Anaheim to sign anyone if they really wanted.  Most Americans like to leave their state when they grow up or go to school.  Thrun is probably one of the few Americans who stayed in-state for college.  Is he a mama's boy or something?

19 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

So McDonough will bring us a 3rd if he elects to not sign. Nice to know at least 

Maybe more.  Wild got a 2nd for McBain last year.  

After McBain informed them he wasn't going to sign, the Wild asked him for a list of teams he would be willing to sign with. They made it clear that if he didn't provide a decent list they would just keep his rights till he's UFA - would have prevented him from burning the 1st year of his ECL.  

Canucks could try and do something similar where the team acquiring his rights know for sure he will be signing with them.  

• Cheers 1