The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Rasmus Sandin to Capitals for Erik Gustafsson, 2023 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They are still short about 2 1st round picks if they want Chychrun. And at least one more if they want Gavrikov. 

Gavrikov won’t go for more than one 1st.

Maybe Toronto is willing to throw in some future 1st too.

Either way this has nothing to do with Schenn.

31 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I didn't realize Gustafsson was balling out this year. Pretty good return for Sandin. What a weird career for Gustafsson though. Who knows which version Toronto just got. Lol.

Yeah, Gustafsson has been playing 20+ minutes a game (and more like 22-24 minutes the last handful for the Caps), scoring at around 50 point/season clip, and he currently owns a 13.3 GAR and a player value this year (per Evolving Hockey) of $14.4 million (based on his contributions to-date this season). All that for an 800K cap hit (expiring this season).

Surprising value on this trade.

I’d have thought just the late first would be enough to nab Sandin.

And that Washington could have probably flipped Gustafsson in a separate trade somewhere else for a tidy return as a rental.

EDIT: On the other hand, Sandin is a good, young Dman who can probably give a team 20+ minutes on a middle pairing for many years. And he’s cost-controlled at $1.4M for another season and RFA upon expiry. Gustafsson likely gets overpaid by whoever signs him to his next deal, will be on the wrong side of 30, and has been widely inconsistent for his career. And a late first is a nice asset but by no means a guaranteed NHL player at the draft. So it’s probably a good rebuilding move for Washington. I just think they might have been able to squeeze more value out of the assets they moved in this trade.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME