The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Rasmus Sandin to Capitals for Erik Gustafsson, 2023 1st-round pick

Sandin’s on a heater but it’s only 4 games. He’s a good young defenceman but this recent stretch is a pretty small sample and not really fitting with his career trajectory to-date. Maybe it’s the start of great things. Or maybe he falls back down to earth in a week. 

I mean, I can remember a certain Brabarian who once scored 6 goals in 4 games. ;) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

8 points and +6, playing 22+ minutes in what, 4 games with the Caps? Keep this up and Sandin might be a top 10 if not top 5 puck mover in the league next year.

Gustafson has been a 3rd pairing guy for Toronto so far.

Steal for Washington, I would have done a similar deal if we could have.

Myers (2m retained) + NYI first for Sandin? Is that better than the Hronek deal?

We needed a RHD, I would still take Hronek anytime.  Dude is going to be a stud with us...

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

8 points and +6, playing 22+ minutes in what, 4 games with the Caps? Keep this up and Sandin might be a top 10 if not top 5 puck mover in the league next year.

Gustafson has been a 3rd pairing guy for Toronto so far.

Steal for Washington, I would have done a similar deal if we could have.

Myers (2m retained) + NYI first for Sandin? Is that better than the Hronek deal?

Leafs would definitely have preferred the Islanders’ pick. They got the Bruin’s 2023 first from Washington. But Hronek is a better fit for us. He’s Chris Tanev with more skill. 

On 3/1/2023 at 1:12 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

How many Cups has Karlsson won? How many has Duncan Keith or Hedman won?

we will never know how many cups karlsson would have if he played on a stacked Chicago team or Tampa team. My guess is he would have at least three. 

The number of cups argument doesn’t hold very well because it’s impossible to adjust for the team effect. 

On 3/1/2023 at 1:12 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I get that the league is faster and more offence-based, but in the playoffs you have to be able to defend first, score later. Your top defenceman ends up playing 25+ minutes a night against the top two offensive lines and they have to be able to shut them down so that your forwards can outscore them. In the regular season offence and PP matters more but in the playoffs, those Cup winners on defence are usually solid defensively first.

The only anomaly I can think of is maybe Makar recently but that Avs team was just stacked across the board, and Makar is pretty sound defensively too. You never see a Brodie/Karlsson-like guy do well in the playoffs though because they'd just get feasted on defensively. 

Karlsson led ottawa to gm 7 of the ECF against Crosby and the eventual cup champs. 

He is a dynamic player who makes his teammates better. Sure he needs help defensively but so does everyone. 

• Cheers 1