The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade Mattias Ekholm, 2024 6th-round pick to Oilers for Tyson Barrie, Reid Schaefer, 2023 1st-round pick, 2024 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Retirement presents for Poile.

No other GM would have fetched those pieces for those players.

I keep seeing this but I don't buy it, I don't see teams handing assets over hand over fist because of sentimentality, that's not good business. 

• Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

51 minutes ago, myre said:

Wow!! Oilers will actually have a decent 

49 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Lol. have fun on draft deadline day filling a a full morning of broadcasting. 

They might as well just re-run the radio hits and tv hits from today. 

26 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Oooof 

Ooof indeed.

Schaefer...man.  I was fabricating ways to draft him last year and thinking of how the Canucks could get him this year.  he is the epitome of old time hockey.  Imagine Kassian that could skate AND put up points.  or a Tkachuk that backs up his beak and throws down.

Schaefer is such a gd beauty I amt rilled he is out of our division but I ams hocked the Oilers traded him because he is EXACTLY what that team needs come playoff time

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

So...the Preds.  Kings.  Ducks.  Sharks and Devils have all blown it up in the last 2-3 seasons and have rebuilt or are rebuilding faster than vancouver has in 10.

Seeing the forest from the trees and all that.

Predators by all accounts are not even done yet

• elephant 1

Trade should make the Oilers immediately better. But if that doesn’t translate into immediate playoff success, it’s going to be a regrettable move. OTOH, if they win, it’s completely justified.

I think Ekholm is exactly the type of player they need right now. 

I’m far less enthusiastic about the value on his deal in the longterm.

And giving up Schaefer and a first (basically two firsts) plus Barrie is a steep price to pay.

Still, can’t really blame them for pushing in their chips and trying to build McDavid a team he has a chance to win with.

Just now, Warhippy said:

So...the Preds.  Kings.  Ducks.  Sharks and Devils have all blown it up in the last 2-3 seasons and have rebuilt or are rebuilding faster than vancouver has in 10.

Nice returns but you don’t rebuild a team with those pieces.

Lucky to get a couple decent players out of all that.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Ooof nothing.

I love Broberg and keeping him is the smarter move for edmonton.

but Schaefer...man.  I was fabricating ways to draft him last year and thinking of how the Canucks could get him this year.  he is the epitome of old time hockey.  Imagine Kassian that could skate AND put up points.  or a Tkachuk that backs up his beak and throws down.

Schaefer is such a gd beauty I amt rilled he is out of our division but I ams hocked the Oilers traded him because he is EXACTLY what that team needs come playoff time

Nothing wrong with Kassians skating. Also Schaeffer if I recall correctly, wasn't exactly known for great skating himself. Admittedly that could have changed since he's been drafted.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's interesting seeing other teams ante up and make hard choices as a fan of a team that's largely meandered over the past ten years. The Horvat trade was a step in the right direction but that was more thrust upon them by their mishandling him, I do believe they intended to keep both him and Miller going into last offseason. 

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Trade should make the Oilers immediately better. But if that doesn’t translate into immediate playoff success, it’s going to be a regrettable move. OTOH, if they win, it’s completely justified.

I think Ekholm is exactly the type of player they need right now. 

I’m far less enthusiastic about the value on his deal in the longterm.

And giving up Schaefer and a first (basically two firsts) plus Barrie is a steep price to pay.

Still, can’t really blame them for pushing in their chips and trying to build McDavid a team he has a chance to win with.

I like this trade for Edmonton. It's exactly what they need. Their forward group is set

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Nice returns but you don’t rebuild a team with those pieces.

Lucky to get a couple decent players out of all that.

Schaefer and Foote will be ok.  two 1sts.  2nd.  3rd 4th AND 5th.  In less than 3 days spread out over the next 3 drafts with rumours that the roster will be as up for or more up for grabs over the next season.  Vancouver by extension has done a literal fraction of that.

Gotta admit, Nashville having a bad season and going full retool is vastly more impressive than vancouver having 8+ bad seasons and going meh; maybe retool, maybe pretend it's all good

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, myre said:

Nothing wrong with Kassians skating. Also Schaeffer if I recall correctly, wasn't exactly known for great skating himself. Admittedly that could have changed since he's been drafted.

Schaefer's skating has absolutely improved.  Nashville is gonna love him

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Declaring all these teams rebuilt that have done nothing is like us proclaiming our team was a young group on the rise after the Covid bubble or even the Bruce bump. 

They haven’t done anything until they do.

Edited by ilduce39

Just now, Warhippy said:

Schaefer and Foote will be ok.  two 1sts.  2nd.  3rd 4th AND 5th.  In less than 3 days spread out over the next 3 drafts with rumours that the roster will be as up for or more up for grabs over the next season.  Vancouver by extension has done a literal fraction of that.

Gotta admit, Nashville having a bad season and going full retool is vastly more impressive than vancouver having 8+ bad seasons and going meh; maybe retool, maybe pretend it's all good

Completely different market. Most people in Nashville don't even realize they have a hockey team. A lot easier to rebuild, especially when the Canadian markets are funding the league.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Schaefer's skating has absolutely improved.  Nashville is gonna love him

Well there, you have it then. He does bring an element that is exciting to any team. Although was there any room for him in Edmonton? In my opinion, Edmonton got the player they badly need.