The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) VAN - PIT

Here we go. The reports are coming out and the Canucks will make a big move.

VAN: 

Marcus Pettersson

Filip Hallander

2024 1st Round Pick

PIT:

J.T. Miller

Rights to Aidan McDonough

• I think this is realistic. If the reports are true that the player being moved isn't going to be Boeser, then I believe it would be Miller rather than Garland. Garland has been playing with Aman and Joshua which makes it seem he hasn't been showcased for any trade. This return is worse than what was rumoured last year (Chytil, Lundkvist, 1st) but the Canucks will not be able to recoup the same value. However, they get off that massive contract and start to upgrade their defense. 
  • VAN Perspective: Pettersson is a defender Allvin likes, Dhaliwal has said so himself. They finally add a top 4 defender that can play decent minutes with Hughes and Bear. Hallander is the prospect I see that has the most potential.. he can play center as well. He is on the verge of the NHL and has put up decent points this year in the AHL with 30 P in 36 GP. Don't think the Canucks would be interested in Poulin and wouldn't think PIT would let go of two defensemen if Ty Smith was included in the proposal. This deal wouldn't go through with a 2023 1st in my opinion, but Hextall has said he would part with futures for a good player with term. For realism, I pushed it to a 2024 1st.
  • PIT Perspective: Reports have come up that they have discussed Miller, Chychrun and Boeser as potential acquisitions. For Miller, I can see the fit in replacing Brock McGinn on their third line wing to provide more depth scoring or he can push Zucker down to the third line as the new 2nd line LW. Sullivan wants reinforcements and with the East getting stronger, PIT might have to make a big move to maintain their playoff positioning. They don't have enough assets to get Chychrun in my opinion, and Miller is such a depressed asset that they acquisition cost will not be as high compared to other players. I don't see PIT having to send back a bad contract (i.e. Zucker) just because he is up at the end of the year, and Hextall has cleared enough space with his waiver activity today. The Canucks will have to include a sweetener which may be Hoglander, Rathbone, or McDonough. McDonough gives them a cheap bottom six option for multiple years and give enough equity to get the 1st back.

I like it.  Restock by adding another young C (hopefully Hallander and Raty can play middle 6 C roles in the near future), and Petterson as Myers' defensive partner could lead to an improvement (even though we'd probably have to push OEL down to 3rd line [really hope we don't buy him out]).  The 1st would likely be a late one but getting 3 assets and getting out from under Miller's pending contract is a win.