The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Jonathan Quick, conditional 2023 1st-round pick, 2024 3rd-round pick to Blue Jackets for Vladislav Gavrikov, Jonas Korpisalo

Still leaves questions regarding the Kings starter imo 

Korpisalo is a pending UFA, could just be a stopgap for the remainder of the season 

This is just them moving Quick's cap out before the end of the season which seems a bit odd unless they play on addressing their goaltending further 

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Rob Blake just panicked.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep.

The Kings were playing great. They really didn’t need a move like this.

Dunno, this seems like a move that'd have a follow up move 

They're essentially paying for Gavrikov while preemptively moving out Quick's cap hit, which they didn't really need to given he's a pending UFA 

They already had enough cap space for Gavrikov's current hit so it's doubtful it was about that 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Dunno, this seems like a move that'd have a follow up move 

They're essentially paying for Gavrikov while preemptively moving out Quick's cap hit, which they didn't really need to given he's a pending UFA 

They already had enough cap space for Gavrikov's current hit so it's doubtful it was about that 

I agree it doesn’t make sense on its own.

Why not just trade for Gavrikov? I don’t think you ship out a fan favourite all time great goalie at this time of the year for a minor upgrade in net.

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Still leaves questions regarding the Kings starter imo 

Korpisalo is a pending UFA, could just be a stopgap for the remainder of the season 

This is just them moving Quick's cap out before the end of the season which seems a bit odd unless they play on addressing their goaltending further 

Copley getting it done lol but ya

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I agree it doesn’t make sense on its own.

Why not just trade for Gavrikov? I don’t think you ship out a fan favourite all time great goalie at this time of the year for a minor upgrade in net.

Yup, doesn't make sense to piss off a franchise legend unless there's an actual reason you need his cap space. Ruthless of LA's management group, not that that's a bad thing. 

Could be something to that Demko to LA bit. 

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Copley getting it done lol but ya

He is, aye. But I dunno, have a hard time seeing the running with him and Korpisalo. 

Korpisalo being a pending UFA just makes him look like a convenient stopgap. 

I might just be overrating Korpisalo, but I actually think he's kind of legit. He's got a .911 save percentage playing on the worst team in the league, currently. Comparatively speaking. Demko has a .884 save percentage. Copley has just a shade over .900 save percentage at .901. Korpisalo has been facing down roughly 33 shots a game. I dunno man, I think they may actually be interested in running with Copley and Korpisalo. He was once upon a time a highly touted goalie prospect. Maybe they believe in him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Does this disqualify a move by LA for demko?  California kid, good contract....... makes sense 

Them starting him last night and their shipping out Quick make me wonder. 

I wasn't expecting Demko to be starting games so soon.