The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Coyotes trade Jakob Chychrun to Senators for conditional 2023 1st-round pick, conditional 2024 2nd-round pick, 2026 2nd-round pick

28 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Wait , sorry . Did Ottawa just get Chychrun for approximately the same value the nux did for hronek?

I hate the Hronek deal however, Ottawa's 1st round pick will be about 12-15th... Isles' pick will be 17th-20th. 

Our 2nd will be about 40th overall, Ottawa's will be 45th. 

They also threw in the extra 2nd. 

I get it, its not much more and you're getting a better dman. Detroit paid about 20% more IMO. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Well....a conditional 1st and two 2nds?  One of them being conditional?

Kinda seems a bit crazy what we just paid for Hronek now doesn't it when you consider what the rumoured ask for Chycrun was.

Love this for Ottawa

Read the conditions. Since you love the “ifs”, this can become two unprotected high first rounders 

• Like 1

What people dont understand about NHL trades and GM's personalities is that not every GM wants to deal with another GM. The deals that are made arent just made on players, they are made with specific favors in mind and specific people behind the scenes pulling the strings. There is a lot of things that goes behind the scenes that are not obvious to fans, a lot of GMs specifically dislike each other, many will NOT trade with specific teams or deal with specific agents in coming assets etc so they opt not to move players to specific teams.

Just because Ottawa managed to execute this trade with # of assets, does NOT mean that Canucks could have done the same with the same assets because not every GM deals equally with every team. 

1 hour ago, Bissurnette said:

Lmao we could've had chychrun for an extra 2nd than what we paid for Hronek :picard:

And Chychrun played the right side under Tocchet and was looking like one of the premier young dmen in the league.

I liks hronek but this annoys the crap outta me.  

23 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I liks hronek but this annoys the crap outta me.  

It's quite irksome Mr. Vedder... I hope there's more moves before this deadline that can somewhat make up for this one. But to think we could've had Chychrun, which is exactly what we need in a dman, and for not much more than what we gave up in this trade leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

Wait , sorry . Did Ottawa just get Chychrun for approximately the same value the nux did for hronek?

And?

They're both young, pretty comparable #2B/3A D. And Hronek is a righty and puts up more offense, both more valuable things.

I get that the timing/situational issues around the Canucks making the Hronek trade are CERTAINLY debatable, but it's in no way a "bad value" compared to the Chychrun deal.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

WTF!!!!

How does PA not do this trade instead of Hronek??????

F*ck the fact Chychrun is left handed... he is much the better player, with size, truculence and skating.

We got hosed.

Because NSH probably wasn’t looking to trade him to a Western team. 

Also, what’s more of a priority, a LHD who has injury issues or a RHD that doesn’t? 

I would have loved to have acquired Chychrun, but it wasn’t meant to be and wasn’t the team’s priority need. 

• Upvote 1

I wish Canucks can do what Ottawa did, a complete rebuild, trade everyone. Pick up a ton of picks.   Now look at how promising this franchise is.

Canucks have been “retooling” since 2012 at some point someone has to realize retool is a fancy word for not working

Edited by sassbs
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dannydog said:

But Hronek is a RHD, which is a bigger need. Chychrun has also struggled with injuries. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure why everyone thinks we could have acquired Chychrun for the same price.

The Sens 1st is currently higher than the Isles and will most likely continue to be.

Our 2nd might be higher but I’m sure the highest 1st in the trade is what pushed them towards the Sens.

We would have had to add to match the Sens offer.

Edited by DeNiro

37 minutes ago, BCNate said:

And is a ufa in 2 years.

So is Hronek but RFA next year so they can try and get an extension done before he hits UFA - he's going to be in the Tkachuk situation next year.  His QO is 5.28M.

He was picked the same draft as Chychrun.  Their picks were exchanged for each other in the Datsyuk trade - Detroit 1st was used to pick Chychrun and Arizona's 2nd to pick Hronek.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

He was playing a bit better this year but pull up his previous years… also analytics only tell half the story, exactly why I hate drance he has no visual analyzing skills so uses math to dictate a players capabilities 

His previous year’s analytics is literally located right beside his bio. His EV defense was actually better (despite his +/-) than this year.

Here’s a clip of his defensive plays, put together by Filipovic from EPRinkside.

The number of games that Chychrun misses thru injury is a major red flag for me.

I wanted a rebuild, so I didn't want either Chcyh or Hronek.

But we are not rebuilding.

So with that in mind, I like Hronek as a player (more the Chychrun) and I think he will be a good fit for the long term in VAN.

• Cheers 1