The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Filip Hronek | #17 | D

-AJ-

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Tocchet said in his post game presser (last night) that Hronek is here and working out every day.  Said he’s still week to week.

Hronek will carry OEL on our second pairing. We will sign Livingston to play with Hughes. Myers on the bottom pair with Wolanen. That’s a very good group. Elite puck movers in our top two pairs and Wolanen is pretty good too. Myers and OEL can just focus on the defensive parts of the game. 

I think Brisebois has jumped ahead of Wolanin when he agreed to a new contract. Currently Wolanin is still a UFA at the end of the season, GB is signed for the next 2 years. Frankly on the Defensive side of the game GB is the better option IMO.

Edited by Fred65
  • Like 2

Figured I should come here to check on if anything has been heard about his injury status or if there's a plan to check him out here in Vancouver, but also I did this little comparison. As noted below, Hughes is our best D in a lot of categories, but Hronek stacks up near the top in most of those same categories, plus as good or better in some others.

On 3/2/2023 at 7:22 PM, elvis15 said:

I haven't been keeping up with all the pages, and I know the argument about where we are, why trade picks, etc, etc, etc. I wanted to look more at how to quantify Hronek and where he fits in our D. If someone wanted to do this with advanced stats, or with other D as comparison, feel free. It's just a visual.

image.thumb.png.82a116e0be62055455b2add9c0f00107.png

Lots of green in those top two lines, and Hronek compares pretty favourably to Hughes. Strong shooting %, does get involved physically, and of course his offence. 

Of course, the Chaos Giraffe (I don't hate him that much) is not the best of the bunch.

Just to sum it up a little better, I graphed it out (not weighted, but good enough).

image.png.f4523e58852e16bb31dd102dd1360387.png

Hronek actually comes out a little ahead of Hughes adding up across multiple categories. Hughes is better at what he does of course, but just showing that Hronek is no slouch.

But if you're dead set on being angry about the draft picks, the overall price, or whatever, then it is what it is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Figured I should come here to check on if anything has been heard about his injury status or if there's a plan to check him out here in Vancouver, but also I did this little comparison. As noted below, Hughes is our best D in a lot of categories, but Hronek stacks up near the top in most of those same categories, plus as good or better in some others.

Yup. Hughes will anchor our first pairing (he’s been amazing with pretty much AHL level partners). Hronek will do the same for our second pairing. One of those two super D men will almost always be on the ice, and in the most critical parts of a games they will likely be out together. 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is it me or does the timeline keep changing?

Not sure, we play games on the 16th, 18th and 19th, I expect to see him in there somewhere, unless we get an official update. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/9/2023 at 9:21 AM, Alflives said:

Tocchet said in his post game presser (last night) that Hronek is here and working out every day.  Said he’s still week to week.

Hronek will carry OEL on our second pairing. We will sign Livingston to play with Hughes. Myers on the bottom pair with Wolanen. That’s a very good group. Elite puck movers in our top two pairs and Wolanen is pretty good too. Myers and OEL can just focus on the defensive parts of the game. 

Lots of conjecture Alf but that is what CDC is all about; other than Myers I like your D man setup. Pretty sure Myers will be traded or bought out in the off season to free up cap space. If they are so lucky to sign Livingstone; then I could eventually see a D lineup like this:

Hughes - Hronek

OEL - Bear

Livingstone- Dermott

Brisebois/ Wolanen - Juulsen

All conjecture on my part as well but I think I could live with that till they can move on from OEL

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, Nave said:

I think we should at least see how Hronek would do with Hughes.

Hronek with Hughes is instantly one of the best D pairings in the league. Hughes with Juulson, Bear, and other much lesser D than Hronek is fantastic. Hughes is an amazing player. We want Tanev Back! Benning. :mad:

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Lots of conjecture Alf but that is what CDC is all about; other than Myers I like your D man setup. Pretty sure Myers will be traded or bought out in the off season to free up cap space. If they are so lucky to sign Livingstone; then I could eventually see a D lineup like this:

Hughes - Hronek

OEL - Bear

Livingstone- Dermott

All conjecture on my part as well but I think I could live with that till they can move on from OEL

Absolutely Hronek becomes Q's partner.  If they are able to sign Livingston, they may not need Bear.

Hughes -  hRonny

OEL -  Livingston

Brisebois -  Bear

Wonlanen -  Juulsen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nave said:

I think we should at least see how Hronek would do with Hughes.

I strongly suspect they'll try this out. He's the #2 RHD Hughes has needed for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Hughes - Hronek

OEL - Bear

Livingstone- Dermott

Way better to have Hronek and Hughes apart.. Both are  so talented and Vancouver will have 2 very good parings..

The 3rd pairing should handle 15 mins per game....

1. Hronek -- _____ Maybe Graves 6'5 -225lbs LD

2. Hughes - _____  Maybe Livingstone 6'3 RD -- Hope Allvin can sign this top college player after his college playoffs in March sometime..

3. OEL.  _____  Bear 25 RD  - Johansson RD -23  --Juulsen 25 RD ---- LD-- Burroughs - Brisebois

18 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Absolutely Hronek becomes Q's partner.  If they are able to sign Livingston, they may not need Bear.

Hughes -  hRonny

OEL -  Livingston

Brisebois -  Bear

Wonlanen -  Juulsen

I like your lineup better. I don’t see Bear as a top 4 d man on a contending team. He has the ability to move up if needed. Camp could reveal some d-side surprises in the fall.

26 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Way better to have Hronek and Hughes apart.. Both are  so talented and Vancouver will have 2 very good parings..

The 3rd pairing should handle 15 mins per game....

1. Hronek -- _____ Maybe Graves 6'5 -225lbs LD

2. Hughes - _____  Maybe Livingstone 6'3 RD -- Hope Allvin can sign this top college player after his college playoffs in March sometime..

3. OEL.  _____  Bear 25 RD  - Johansson RD -23  --Juulsen 25 RD ---- LD-- Burroughs - Brisebois

That may well happen but I do think that RT will try them out together first. Without all the other hoped for changes yet to occur; I think them playing together is the most likely scenario for the rest of this year.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I like your lineup better. I don’t see Bear as a top 4 d man on a contending team. He has the ability to move up if needed. Camp could reveal some d-side surprises in the fall.

I hope they are able to sign Livingstone but not sure if they would start him as a top 4 right away. If he is signed, it may take some time for him to adjust to the speed of the game at the NHL level

• Cheers 1