The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Simple moves that finish our rebuild for next year.

On 3/2/2023 at 5:02 AM, Bob.Loblaw said:

You guys are vastly overestimating Myers' trade value here.  There will only be a select few teams that are prepared to tank on day one: Chicago, Arizona, San Jose, and (maybe) Columbus.  Sharks and Jackets are up against the cap.   Every other struggling team (ie. Anaheim, Montreal, Philly, Vancouver!!!) will at least try to improve upon last year's performance.

As JIAHN said, we would have to wait until Sept 15 to make any type of trade.  Do you realize how late in the game that is?  We'd have to wait until preseason to even think about becoming cap compliant, and so would the team we're trying to trade with.  If Arizona wants to reach the floor, they're going to try and figure that out well before opening night.  If for some reason they play along and wait, they have plenty of other options than us, and extort us for everything we have to take on bad contracts.  We would have to fork up a prospect and/or draft pick to get rid of Myers.

In other words, Myers' contract is an anchor right now, and it will still be an anchor in September.  He has an extremely negative trade value, which means Vancouver will have to pay a hefty price just so Myers can play against them.  There is no simple way that the Canucks can get out of cap hell.  There is only the hard way - sacrificing assets.

Not saying he has a lot of trade value, the value comes in not having to retain to get rid of the cap. For example, the Voracek to Arizona trade.

Edited by MrCanuck94
  • Cheers 1

On 3/1/2023 at 9:20 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ok............the team does not look that bad! 

So i am going to suggest 3 pretty simple moves that should help us out for the next 3 years +

At the draft..............

Vancouver trades Jack Rathbone and Brock Boeser (1 million retained)

to

Pittsburgh for Marcus Pettersson 

In Free Agency

Scott Mayfield 30 year old (3 years X $3,500,000 per) If Scheen can play with Hughes at 33 , then Mayfield can do it at 30 (solid Defensive Dman)

Luke Schenn 33 year old (3 years X $1,250,000 per) This contract is a reward and statement contract, one who shows the young guys what team loyalty can bring)

Jake Livingstone 3 years at $925,000. This is actually done immediately after his season is over! (May?)

September 15th......after paying Tyler Myers his $5,000,000 bonus, we trade Myers

Kuzmenko..............Pettersson..............Beauvillier

Mikheyev...................Miller....................Podkolzin

Garland......................Raty....................Kravtsov

Joshua......................Aman...................Lazar

Studnika

Hughes...................Mayfield

Pettersson..............Hronek

OEL.........................Bear

Brsiebois.................Schenn

Demko

Silovs

This is a approx. $83,000,000 Cap hit of a $83,500,000 Cap Ceiling

Here’s my stab:

1. Boeser and for a 2nd round pick and a 4th round pick with % retained to Arizona

Boeser gets to decompress with some familiar faces in a much less stressful environment that the desert offers. 

2. We trade Myers to a team like Arizona / Chicago / Anaheim who are aggressively rebuilding and don’t have a huge payroll or want to commit to winning right now for 4-7 round pick. Give them a warm body to roll out for a season.

3. OEL BUYOUT.

4. Sign Jake Livingstone like you have put

5. Sign Bear 

6. Sign Gavrikov 

7. Sign Schenn like you have put

8. Win the draft lottery, 1-3 (manifesting)

Kuzmenko-Petey-Beauvillier

Garland-Miller-Mikehyev

Kravtsov-Bedard/Fantilli-Podkolzin

Joshua-Aman-Lazar/Studnicka 

Hughes-Livingstone/Bear

Gavrikov-Hronek

Dermott*-Bear/Livingstone

Brisebois-Schenn

*if he’s healthy enough if not maybe Brisebois does enough down the stretch to earn trust to be nhl regular as a bottom pairing guy and 2nd unit pker

and if we don’t win the lottery… praying Raty is ready for NHL duty next year but not banking on it 

could see it being possible if he has a strong finish AHL playoff and big offseason training though

-

ALSO unrelated I love how Podz and the Sedins and team are investing into podkolzin and how he is a HARD WORKER Really grinding to get better. Really hopeful for his future heee

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Here’s my stab:

1. Boeser and for a 2nd round pick and a 4th round pick with % retained to Arizona

Boeser gets to decompress with some familiar faces in a much less stressful environment that the desert offers. 

2. We trade Myers to a team like Arizona / Chicago / Anaheim who are aggressively rebuilding and don’t have a huge payroll or want to commit to winning right now for 4-7 round pick. Give them a warm body to roll out for a season.

3. OEL BUYOUT.

4. Sign Jake Livingstone like you have put

5. Sign Bear 

6. Sign Gavrikov 

7. Sign Schenn like you have put

8. Win the draft lottery, 1-3 (manifesting)

Kuzmenko-Petey-Beauvillier

Garland-Miller-Mikehyev

Kravtsov-Bedard/Fantilli-Podkolzin

Joshua-Aman-Lazar/Studnicka 

Hughes-Livingstone/Bear

Gavrikov-Hronek

Dermott*-Bear/Livingstone

Brisebois-Schenn

*if he’s healthy enough if not maybe Brisebois does enough down the stretch to earn trust to be nhl regular as a bottom pairing guy and 2nd unit pker

and if we don’t win the lottery… praying Raty is ready for NHL duty next year but not banking on it 

could see it being possible if he has a strong finish AHL playoff and big offseason training though

-

ALSO unrelated I love how Podz and the Sedins and team are investing into podkolzin and how he is a HARD WORKER Really grinding to get better. Really hopeful for his future heee

Lol Bedard on the third line maybe for the first pre-season game.

• Haha 2
  • Tanks a lot 1

33 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Here’s my stab:

Lol.

He is worth a 4th at most

Vancouver will be over the cap next season and teams are going to bend them over the barrel while they try to clear space. 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Lol Bedard on the third line maybe for the first pre-season game.

I do think if we were blessed with Bedard 

Miller-Bedard-Mikehyev 

would be the line.

the problem was garland and the winger abundance we have even if we are able to move boeser without taking a player back and then our 3C hole that I’m not sure Raty would be ready to fill 

but what a beautiful problem that would be.

staying very hopeful we win the lotto this year 1-3. 

It’s our time! We deserve a win, right? 

34 minutes ago, beni said:

Lol.

He is worth a 4th at most

Vancouver will be over the cap next season and teams are going to bend them over the barrel while they try to clear space. 

Not if we retain.

Boesers resume and story behind him makes him a piece teams are interested in. The issue is the salary / value combo aligning to make the trade work.

I don’t know teams in cap trouble have made deals and not been completely bent over because they’ve wanted a player. 

Boeser showed some jump tonight if he can build off this finish the year showing some flashes I could see a team pulling the trigger on a deal planning on a solid offseason and a change of scenario are what he needs.

Trade Chips: 

Beauvillier - if he continues at this pace hes worth a 1st at the deadline with retention 

Garland - depends on performance next year but maybe he can up his value to a 1st - right now I see it as a 2nd/3rd

Pearson - LTIR for now but maybe a 4/5th if he can play again

OEL - buyout next summer 

Myers - maybe a 2nd at deadline next year 

Boeser - kinda wanna keep him

Miller - not going anywhere in my opinion 

Best case scenario we move all of them and receive a 1st, 1st, 4th, 2nd in 2024 

13 hours ago, R3aL said:

Not if we retain.

Boesers resume and story behind him makes him a piece teams are interested in. The issue is the salary / value combo aligning to make the trade work.

I don’t know teams in cap trouble have made deals and not been completely bent over because they’ve wanted a player. 

Boeser showed some jump tonight if he can build off this finish the year showing some flashes I could see a team pulling the trigger on a deal planning on a solid offseason and a change of scenario are what he needs.

Perhaps, but Van doesn't have the space to retain

Don't get me wrong, I do like Boeser but its just a bad situation. He has put up respectable numbers so far just not at his cap hit :(

Like all these deals but ideally we'd get a 3rd line center and let Raty cook in the AHL. I'd sign a guy like Kerfoot, Puis Suter or Sundqvist on the cheap as a 3C.

I like Mayfield but he's a bit old and playing in a solid defensive structure. I'd rather sign Graves for 5M, sign Livinstone for 900K, trade Myers to someone (1M retain if we have to)...

OR

We trade Boeser for Marcus Pettersson 

Either way we get a shutdown LD to play with Hronek and let Livingstone play with Hughes.

So i am going to suggest 3 pretty simple moves that should help us out for the next 3 years +

to

In Free Agency

Scott Mayfield 30 year old (3 years X $3,500,000 per) If Scheen can play with Hughes at 33 , then Mayfield can do it at 30 (solid Defensive Dman)

Luke Schenn 33 year old (3 years X $1,250,000 per) This contract is a reward and statement contract, one who shows the young guys what team loyalty can bring)

Jake Livingstone 3 years at $925,000. This is actually done immediately after his season is over! (May?)

September 15th......after paying Tyler Myers his $5,000,000 bonus, we trade Myers

Studnika

Demko

Silovs

Don't need Schenn if we get Livingstone.

• Vintage 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 10:04 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

After Sept 15th he is only owed $1,000,000 for the remainder of his contract, but will have a $6,000,000 cap hit. Basement teams will love him.

Dhaliwal confirmed on Sekeras and Price that the date for the bonus pay out is Sept 15, 2023 as agreed upon in the contract at the time of the signing. You were right!

Unfortunate that it isn't July as it delays a potential move.

• Cheers 1

to

In Free Agency

Studnika

Demko

Silovs

Sounds good but me I would rather trade for a center.We also have Johansson coming in so no to signing either rhd.Keep Bear at 2.2 would be cheaper.  

Miller might still get traded which I doubt.

We may pick up a couple NCAA and euro players.That will fill gaps. 

Pearson or Poolman will be bought out,other sent threw waivers and we will get cap help. 

Leave the second buyout for OEL next year.

1 hour ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Dhaliwal confirmed on Sekeras and Price that the date for the bonus pay out is Sept 15, 2023 as agreed upon in the contract at the time of the signing. You were right!

Unfortunate that it isn't July as it delays a potential move.

That is what future considerations are for at the draft. 

Say futures (Myers) to Arizona for a 3rd 

They would be paying less then a mill and could trade him tdl for a second.

Sounds like we're out on Livingstone which is a shame but hunting Gavrikov and Barbashev. I doubt we'll be able to sign the hottest UFA defenceman who's currently playing on a young contender who's only going to get better...

Got to start looking at consolation prizes. Graves would be my 2nd choice, then Mayfield, then Soucy, then Severson. In any case, we can clearly just move Hronek around to play on the left or right, whatever works better for the pairings. Graves - Hronek would be a delicious top shutdown pairing. Hughes - Mayfield would be a brilliant all-around pairing. Hronek - Severson would be a bit of an adventure. Gavrikov - Hronek would be the top pairing. I'd be really interested to see how Hughes could play with this new and improved Myers, might make for a really decent pairing if Myers sits back and Hughes roams as a 4th forward while not having to log big minutes against top lines and defences.

Of course it's nice to say all this stuff but we've got to move cap out.

We've got Toronto's 3rd rounder and 3 fourth round picks this year. I'd be happy shelling one or two of them out to move bad cap around. I think it'll cost a 3rd or 4th to move Garland's 5M, and I'd do that in a heart-beat. Surely some team will want him at that price, especially a younger team with cap space. Then there's Boeser and Myers, which is hard to move because right now they're playing well and almost earning their cap hits.

Even if we just trade Garland +  3rd away and sign Graves or Gavrikov to a 5-6M deal (and let Bear walk), we've made a massive improvement to this team.

Sadly to fit a third line center in I think we're going to have to move one of Boeser, Beauvillier or Myers as well. I know Beau is the shiny new toy but he's only really been producing thanks to Petey. Dare I say right now I'd rather keep Boeser and Myers (as they're playing quite well) and move Beau's 4M and allocate it to a third line center like Barbashev/Kerfoot/Suter/Sundqvist, and we should surely be able to get a good pick for Beau (2nd or 3rd?). 2 weeks ago I'd say get rid of Boeser and Myers but they're playing like new players under this new system.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Boeser - Miller - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Sundqvist - PDG

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka

Gavrikov - Hronek

Hughes - Myers

OEL - Burroughs

Rathbone

• Vintage 1

On 3/1/2023 at 9:40 PM, Bob.Loblaw said:

Trade Myers for what?  We obviously need to either retain cap or receive cap in return.  You're also not including Tanner Pearson here.

We are already over the cap for next year.  We need to dump salary, and do it fast.

Bye Boeser and Garland, just as long as it's Kuz to no-one!!

Rockin the show like no ones business! Wtg Kuz!!

On 3/2/2023 at 5:02 AM, Bob.Loblaw said:

You guys are vastly overestimating Myers' trade value here.  There will only be a select few teams that are prepared to tank on day one: Chicago, Arizona, San Jose, and (maybe) Columbus.  Sharks and Jackets are up against the cap.   Every other struggling team (ie. Anaheim, Montreal, Philly, Vancouver!!!) will at least try to improve upon last year's performance.

As JIAHN said, we would have to wait until Sept 15 to make any type of trade.  Do you realize how late in the game that is?  We'd have to wait until preseason to even think about becoming cap compliant, and so would the team we're trying to trade with.  If Arizona wants to reach the floor, they're going to try and figure that out well before opening night.  If for some reason they play along and wait, they have plenty of other options than us, and extort us for everything we have to take on bad contracts.  We would have to fork up a prospect and/or draft pick to get rid of Myers.

In other words, Myers' contract is an anchor right now, and it will still be an anchor in September.  He has an extremely negative trade value, which means Vancouver will have to pay a hefty price just so Myers can play against them.  There is no simple way that the Canucks can get out of cap hell.  There is only the hard way - sacrificing assets.

Suggested it before elsewhere, trade Myers to Buffalo (came from there, they have $19 million in cap space with no major players to re-sign, perhaps there's no bad blood in their history?  He'd also fit well on a massive pairing with Owen Power, and the kid can stabilize him defensively while he rushes up ice, and Samuelsson - Dahlin can eat up the top-pair minutes; I'd throw in Kravtsov or Rathbone as a sweetener) or Detroit (their 2nd pair RD likely took a hit when they traded Hronek to us and Seider's playing 26 minutes a night which likely won't be sustainable since Oesterle and Lindstrom on #2 and #3 RD play 17 and 13 minutes combined; I'd happily retain a couple million and trade him there for a low return just to free up the cap).

• 2 weeks later...

The Marcus Petterson trade would probably turn us into a good team right now. I think we’re probably a year late on that though. Don’t see them trading him without a very interesting piece coming back. He took a step this year.