The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Exciting years going forward

Rate this topic

Timråfan

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

People always talk about BPA and that you get the best player you can. If need be that you use that as currency for what you need. Fine, only problem is we never did that. We should have traded guys like Virtanen, Hoglander, Pods, Boeser or whomever, for RD prospects. I'm a firm believer that you should strive to have prospects in all the valuable positions, RD, C, LD, and always have a goalie. If you don't you need to acquire them and/or don't give up your top picks unless you're currently a top 10 team in the league. In addition, a team should have even more than 1 prospect in each position unless once again you're a top team in the NHL. We are sorely lacking in the prospect department with a lot of eye candy but not much in terms of blue chip prospects. It's going to be a tough go for this group. A lot fo things need to go our way.

Godspeed and god luck Allvin and chipfolks!

Season 1 Good Luck GIF by Twin Peaks on Showtime

Nbc Godspeed GIF by Good Girls

JR/PA seem to have a better eye for talent. They have a good start, I am sure they will continue to build the pool up. 

I don't agree with the direction at all but they've done a good job digging out of the talent hole from some of the Benning whiffs in the top 10 picks.

Kuzmenko is essentially the top line player we're should have gotten with the virtanen pick. And Hronek is a do-over for Juolevi.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MattWN. said:

Yes, I'm sure of that..

Every single hockey expect with a prospect pool list has us firmly in the bottom 5.

30/32 - The Hockey Writers https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-farm-system-rankings/ 

28/32 - The Athletic - https://theathletic.com/3923067/2023/01/09/nhl-prospect-rankings-2023/

28/32 - Rinkside - https://eprinkside.com/category/prospect-pool-rankings

You make it sound so simple, just build around Petey Hughes and Demko.

Do you not understand the salary cap? We have ZERO cap space.

There is no room to add anything to that core. We have anchors like Boeser, Garland, Myers and OEL who aren't going anywhere without us paying for somebody to take them. Paying people to take bad contracts is exactly why we have OEL in the first f**king place. 

The team comes first? Wanna be a little more specific about that? We've never had a more tumultuous year with in fighting between the team and management. The handling of Pearsons hand, and Hughes comment. Managements treatment of our head coach.  The handling of Miller-Bo contracts. You're literally just spouting shit out of your ass with no barring on reality.

Do we need any more cap space now? 

On 3/4/2023 at 1:23 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

Glad you are having fun. You take heat here on CDC for your opinions. But you are entitled to them, loyal to them.

I know you love Petey, where he comes from! 

No love for Lekkerimaki? 

Letkheratme has regressed considerably this season with poor output, two concusssions, a season ending broken foot, a fight with his GF! and his dog ran away!   

He looks like another Yo-Levi type wasted 1st pick - so far.  Hope he gets back on his feet because the way our GM's throw away our 1st Round picks, he's looking to be the only 1st rounder in this decade for us.  Boy, did our Rookie GM PA, every pick a doozie!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo

On 3/4/2023 at 7:24 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's nice to see the roster getting younger, although it is looking to me like we're just making similar mistakes to one's we've already made.

We've already traded a 1st rd pick for an already established NHL player, which seems very much like a Benning type move. An NHL player that, like Nate Schmidt before him, doesn't seem like the best fit for this team on paper. I hope I'm wrong about that. 

Then there's the strategy of targeting prospects and young players instead of picks. A strat that, again, we've already seen. Rati, Kratsov and Bloom could very easily just be the next Vey, Goldobin and Etem. There are reasons that their respective teams gave up on them. Although, for the price, Bloom and Kratsov are still good gambles. 

Then there's the fact that it looks like they may have already botched their first 1st rd pick. Lekkerimaki's stock has already taken a nosedive. Obviously the first reaction to this will be "We just drafted him and you're already writing him off?", but c'mon, how often does a high end prospect fall off a cliff and then regain all of their stock? 

Then there's the fact that, yet again, we've failed to remove any significant money off the books. Boeser, Garland, Miller, Myers and OEL are all still here and still making their millions. Saying "we ran out of time" only works for so long and saying "teams weren't willing to meet our price" doesn't hold any water when just having the contracts on the books hurts us. 

Then there's the handling of the Bruce situation and the black eye that gave the organization, and that's to say nothing about the Rachel Doerrie situation. (She seemed like somewhat of a sh#t disturber anyways, but that's another black mark on management for not being able to see that before hiring her in the first place)

On the plus side, it is nice to see things on the AHL side going well. Hopefully that ends up being a good sign for the future development of our prospects. 

But still, most of the stuff we're seeing now just looks like a continuation of what we were doing under Benning. I want to be hopeful, but we've seen this movie before. 

"Then there's the strategy of targeting prospects and young players instead of picks. A strat that, again, we've already seen."

"But still, most of the stuff we're seeing now just looks like a continuation of what we were doing under Benning. I want to be hopeful, but we've seen this movie before."

I think the proof will be in the pudding.

We are so used to failure from Bennings and Frank doing the same thing over and over for almost a decade and expecting a different result each time, that we think a retool is INSANE. But one key factor in it working is the personnel in charge.  I don't think there is anyone who could do a worse job than Benning at a retool.  And maybe that was part of the problem, Aquilinis hired someone better known for develop through the draft to do a veteran heavy retool. So even if JR, Alvin and the chipmunks are just average, I'd put their chances way ahead of Benning and Weisbrod.

Have they made mistakes? Sure. But they quickly admit and correct them (Stillman). Their pro scouting is light years ahead of JB and company.  Which is key for a successful retool. They have slowly chipped away, and added pieces that are most beneficial to becoming a team that can play with the best.  The only black eye that landed from the Bruce Boudreau firing was on the media.  Making it out to be more than it was. Tocchet had to give two weeks notice in his job at TNT. Would it really have made a difference to let BB go then and coach with an assistant coach for two weeks? BB was happy to coach as long as he could. He made millions doing what he loved best in playing and coaching. He's a big boy in a cut throat business. And I don't think there has been any coach in the history of the NHL that has had a more emotional, supportive, celebratory sendoff than Bruce in his final game. So no, I don't feel sorry for him at all. If anyone it was the owner's fault for hiring him before a GM in the first place. It was always a messy situation.

I think its fair to say that with Demko seeming to be at his former self again, and Petey playing at his hungriest, no key injuries left, we will once again finish closer to the mushy middle than we are now, a good chance even out of the top ten. Too bad but that's reality.  The sooner fans let go of Bedard  the better for their sanity.   If we end up in the 10th spot, beat the odds, and miraculously land Bedard....Fantastic!!! But I'm operating now with the assumption Canuck Luck will go on as usual. 

There is nothing we can do about it now. Its a RETOOL folks. And whether you agree with it or not, its happening. If the Miller, Boeser, Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, signings didn't convince you, the acquisition of Hronek for another first and second should seal it.  So IMO, as a fan, I have got to want it to work.  And so far, with the new additions, and the new systems being taught, I have high hopes that a JR retool can work.  For no other reason than it has to now. 

So celebrate the improvements as they come. I look at it this way, if they are so good, if the chemistry comes together so well, that they screw up their chance at Bedard, it also bodes very well for next season.  Conversely, if they stink for the rest of the season, just can't manage to improve on any aspect, are still allowing multiple goals against etc...then I will be a little depressed about just how much better we can actually improve over the Summer. But the bonus there will be a higher pick.  Gotta look at the silver linings. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

i don't disagree we have some decent looking prospect. however until proven otherwise we can't convert any players not goalie from AHL to NHL. we haven't had a single AHL graduate since god knows when that made an impact on this team or any other team for whatever it's worth players that made impact on this team is straight out of the NCAA SHL or KHL

On 3/4/2023 at 9:33 AM, billabong said:

I might be made a fool but this “retool” feels a little different…? 

like when benning “retooled” in 2014 he had a very different team to retool in terms of age, prospect pool, etc…and that was just super dumb and 7 years later we have very little to show for it

retooling around what we have “could” work IF they continue add prospects/picks where they can, no 30 year old big UFA signings and no dead money on the cap 

I’m particularly interested to see what happens with undrafted free agents this year.

Last year, the Canucks landed the biggest fish of all, with Kuzmenko, and also made some additional UDFA signings that were generally quite positive.

If that trend continues, we sign another big fish, like Livingstone, and a few others top targets from the college, Europe, and CHL overager pools, it could very quickly improve the picture around this roster and its system depth.

• Upvote 2

We dont look so bad next yr...

Kuzemenko-Petterson-Beauvullier 

Mikheyev-Miller-Kravtsov

Hoglander-Aman-Podkolzin

DeGusepie-Studnicka-Joshua

Hughes-Bear

Ekman-Larsson-Hroneck

Brisebois-Myers

Burroughs

Imagine if we get a top 3 pick.

Def need to get bigger on defense.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

We dont look so bad next yr...

Kuzemenko-Petterson-Beauvullier 

Mikheyev-Miller-Kravtsov

Hoglander-Aman-Podkolzin

DeGusepie-Studnicka-Joshua

Hughes-Bear

Ekman-Larsson-Hroneck

Brisebois-Myers

Burroughs

Imagine if we get a top 3 pick.

Def need to get bigger on defense.

And we got a lot of back up players also so if our stars don’t get injured we go very far.

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

And we got a lot of back up players also so if our stars don’t get injured we go very far.

We need Hogz, Podz and Krav to keep developing.. if they can, we can can surprise ppl next year.  Add in Raty, we could have something good the year after.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

On 3/4/2023 at 4:10 AM, Timråfan said:

I’ve been on this forum since Petey was drafted and have seen the pro players Benning brought in.

Besides Miller I struggle to get excited.

Now, with PA at the helm since january last year, I got a lot of players to get excited about.

This is just over a year since PA took over. Think about that for a while…

The players I feel excited about and like to see how good they can be as a Canuck is:

Åman

Räty

Mikhejev

Hronek

Beauvillier

Bloom

Kravtsov

Kuzmenko

Bear

When did a Canucks GM bring in so many young gifted players that are ready to play(don’t get stuck on Bloom here :bigblush:)?

Then Abbotsford got much better regarding development wich means our prospects can cook for a while and actually get better.

Wonderful times ahead.

So we have a lot of players from 26 and younger.

A far cry from getting excited about Vrbata, Ryan Miller, Sutter, Gudbranson, Hutton etc ... kind of so beware the foundational players lol. 

It's a good start for sure.   Hopefully they can do some stuff at the draft to add picks and shed salary.   Brock, AB ... maybe even Kuzmenko.   Expect one of them gone.   We've got a pretty mean top nine.   Just need to work on that defense.   

• Cheers 2

On 3/4/2023 at 4:13 PM, GB5 said:

I'm excited about some of these players but not all of them.

To me Aman is a border line NHL'er who is too soft to be a legitimate bottom 6 center and needs to learn to stick up for his linemates and win a few faceoffs. Alvin likes his Swedes but the Canucks can improve a lot here. Lammiko actually had better stats than Aman as far as FO%, blocks, hits, points, takeaways.........

Raty has a lot to prove still to show he can be in the big show, some are calling him a blue chip prospect but that is an underserved label. I hope he gets there but wait and see.

Beau, Kravtsov and Kuz are definately exciting.

Bloom is intriguing 

IM is a guy I am hopeful for once he recovers but wait and see, same wih Hronek.

Bear has been servicable but is not overly exciting.

There may also be a question of $ and cap involved in certain bottom 6 players being favoured above others, I guess...

But yes Lammikko was fine. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/5/2023 at 3:42 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m particularly interested to see what happens with undrafted free agents this year.

Last year, the Canucks landed the biggest fish of all, with Kuzmenko, and also made some additional UDFA signings that were generally quite positive.

If that trend continues, we sign another big fish, like Livingstone, and a few others top targets from the college, Europe, and CHL overager pools, it could very quickly improve the picture around this roster and its system depth.

It is natural for fans to focus on Allvin and Rutherford as they direct the Canucks into the future. What we don’t see a lot of to date are the impact of all the new hires Rutherford made when he came in. He really gutted the org and hired some pretty solid staff. Are Rutherford and Allvin process driven? Will they listen to their people or act impetuously like others have done? As much as we like or dislike moves to date or the moves that are coming IMHO the result could be a test of their “process” that has built in the last year. 

Fans are putting a lot of faith in our new player Hronek but I haven’t seen him play yet. Much anticipated because a lot of the Canuck future rides on his success. Is he skating or practicing? Any news?

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It is natural for fans to focus on Allvin and Rutherford as they direct the Canucks into the future. What we don’t see a lot of to date are the impact of all the new hires Rutherford made when he came in. He really gutted the org and hired some pretty solid staff. Are Rutherford and Allvin process driven? Will they listen to their people or act impetuously like others have done? As much as we like or dislike moves to date or the moves that are coming IMHO the result could be a test of their “process” that has built in the last year. 

Fans are putting a lot of faith in our new player Hronek but I haven’t seen him play yet. Much anticipated because a lot of the Canuck future rides on his success. Is he skating or practicing? Any news?

Tocchet said Hronek is working out with the club (lifting weights I think) and is still week to week. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/10/2023 at 2:44 PM, Boudrias said:

PA definately listen to his staff as been seen with Hronek.

He actually works like a true GM, wonderful…