The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Ethan Bear Contract Talks

I hope we keep him, but pay him as a 5th D.  Cheap for top 4 and well paid for both 2 pair.  If we have 2 RD better than him I think we are really solid on the right side, but him moving up due to injuries or sharing the bottom 2 spots on RD would be fine.  

I would be happy signing Bear for 1 year at his qualifying offer if 2.2M. If we don't bring in another RH defenseman, then give him the full year beside Hughes or OEL to show if he can be a top 4 guy. If he can then awesome, he'll have earned a pay raise. If he can't then it's only 1 year and we can flip him at the deadline with retention. 

12 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I would be happy signing Bear for 1 year at his qualifying offer if 2.2M. If we don't bring in another RH defenseman, then give him the full year beside Hughes or OEL to show if he can be a top 4 guy. If he can then awesome, he'll have earned a pay raise. If he can't then it's only 1 year and we can flip him at the deadline with retention. 

You don't think we can fill Bear's spot with Juulsen, Burroughs, Schenn (maybe), Johansson, etc at league minimum? 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I wonder how much $$$ he is looking for - Bear probably sees himself as a top 4 D and RH’s are in demand.  He does have some versatility/ seems to play well in any pairing.  Retrievals are good.  His PK ability is I think the big question.  No doubt Foote/Tocchett’s evaluation of him will determine a lot.  Im guessing they hold off until the off season especially if he can get back and play.  Probably doubtful tho.

18 minutes per game. 14 points 43 games.  Best partner for Hughes since Tanev.

Do we re-sign him? Absolutely. Do his ice time and point performance scream massive raise? Not really.

1 year @2.8 or 3 years @ 2.5 million per

Don’t forget this guy didn’t even make the Hurricane and they essentially gave him to us for free (the 5th rounder was for the cap retention). He will want to stay in Van

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

You don't think we can fill Bear's spot with Juulsen, Burroughs, Schenn (maybe), Johansson, etc at league minimum? 

If he ends up being only a bottom pair guy, sure. But so far Bear is ahead of them and looks to have more potential. Johansson is obviously a wildcard but I'm not getting my hopes up too high before he plays a game in North America.

Bear has proven to be a #5 that can play top 4 spot duty, the question is whether he can up his game to be a consistent #4. Burroughs has shown to be a competent 6/7 guy but not more than that. Juulsen might still have more upside to him, but he's also at best a 6/7 guy right now. Schenn is a great leader and has chemistry with Hughes, but he's only a 5/6 guy which forces other defensemen to double-shift with Hughes and he is going to start slowing down with age.

34 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Save all our cap space for legit top 4’s and give guys like Brisebois, Wolanin, and Juulsen a shot. 

Cant be paying 2+ mil for a bottom pair defender. And if we are that money should go to Schenn not Bear.

Juulsen has been awful. Brisebois can help out as as a 7th guy though even he had a brutal giveaway last night. I would definitely be happy to give Wolanin a shot as he seems like a  pretty sound player a guy you just don't notice good or bad but can eat some minutes. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, High and Inside said:

Juulsen has been awful. Brisebois can help out as as a 7th guy though even he had a brutal giveaway last night. I would definitely be happy to give Wolanin a shot as he seems like a  pretty sound player a guy you just don't notice good or bad but can eat some minutes. 

Wasn’t Juulsen playing with Hughes?

That obviously won’t be his role. 

Play him less minutes on the bottom pair with a solid stay at home vet and see what he can do.

1x1.3 - He's not a top pair guy with Hughes. Hronek owns the 2nd pair. Is bear a 3rd pair with those two above him? Meh he's a good insurance policy for when we need a more mobile defender but I'm sure he wants more opportunities than that. 

I'm not solid on anything more than a show me deal in a structured environment with a full off season and training camp. Good kid and love his character though.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s not saying much since Hughes has had some pretty average D partners since Tanev.

The goal remains to find a top pair shutdown partner with some size and snarl. Bear isn’t that. The bar needs to be set higher.

I don’t necessarily agree. I think a two way guy might actually be the best fit.

Quinn is heavy offence - he needs a guy who can keep up, handle the puck, and be able to help him drive the play. That said, a pure offensive guy isn’t great either since it will expose them defensively and also take away opportunities. Statistically Bear had been very good Quinn and while a Tanev or Marino (DFD that is mobile) would be best, there aren’t too many of them.

Severson might be good. Trade for Parayko? I think Bear does a good job without us having to take another contract that will suck 

• Cheers 2