Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Ethan Bear Contract Talks

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes, Mayfield

Gravrikov, Hronek 

Tryamkin, Bear

Looks pretty damn good. 

Fixed that for you ;)

Burroughs, Dermott (if he is healthy enough to return, otherwise Brisebois/Wolanin in this spot) as extras

Rathbone, Brisebois, Wolanin, Juulsen, Woo as call up options

I could also see us maybe letting Bear walk if he's asking too much and bringing in Filip Johansson in his spot.

7 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Fixed that for you ;)

Burroughs, Dermott (if he is healthy enough to return, otherwise Brisebois/Wolanin in this spot) as extras

Rathbone, Brisebois, Wolanin, Juulsen, Woo as call up options

I could also see us maybe letting Bear walk if he's asking too much and bringing in Filip Johansson in his spot.

I think you are right, qualify him and trade him at the draft or package him retaining money with BB.Maybe get a 3C trading them both.

• Cheers 1

I think we all agree Bear isn’t worth breaking the bank over, especially long term, but it kind of sounds like I’m higher on him than most.

A young-ish RHD who can play the “modern” game, skate, bring some offence but also hold his own physically that we control for under 3 mil is a pretty nice piece.  

I’d be shocked if we let him just walk without qualifying him. Maybe after a year other guys step up and look like better fits but as it stands he’s one of the better RH 4-5s we’ve had in awhile - and while I think anyone could probably play with Hughes it counts for *something* to say we know he can do it. 

Most importantly I think he’s a good fit with OEL with his skating. 

Hughes-Schenn (Livingstone!?)

Graves-Hronek

OEL-Bear 

instead of a 3rd pairing that plays 14 minutes a night you go cheap on Hughes and OEL’s partners.  Save the Burrows, Juulsen, Brisebois, Wolanen types for 7-10 spots.  They’ll get time.  

Still probably not the most cost effective D corps but miles ahead of what we started with this year.

• Cheers 2

On 3/14/2023 at 7:41 PM, aGENT said:

No, I thought of the ones I mentioned, at the time. And yes, Foote was a throw in. I'd probably agree he's slightly inferior to Bear...granted, like half of CDC was willing to pay a fair bit for him, and think he could be Hughes long term partner partner :lol: But the discussion wasn't players IDENTICAL to Bear. It was simply bottom pair D.

Smith's "NHL resume" isn't all that great. And of course the value is higher. Marino's a legit top 4 D and one of the best defense-leaning "fancy stat" D in the league. To get him for a middling, not-a-prospect-anymore and a 3rd is CHEAP.

You could probably also include on waivers this season...Philippe Myers, Zaitsev, Mike Reilly and  Mete. And traded...Klingberg, Kulikov, Gostisbehere Bear himself, and Schenn.

And that doesn't include the solid depth D's that signed for value deals in July (which no, I'm not going to go through for you, sorry) or any of our own prospects who may push for those spots on cheap ELC/bridge deals.

So again, bottom pair D are frequently, readily, available for cheap from any number of avenues. There is zero need for us to overspend for the position.

Bear's a perfectly fine bottom pair D, and at the right price we should all be happy to have him back. IMO, that right price is under $2m.

You saying it doesn't make it true. Is there a quote somewhere from someone involved with the trade confirming he had no material weight in the deal? Bear is more than a slightly more accomplished NHL player than Foote at this point. I was referring to Smith's resume in comparison to Rathbone's; it was not a small difference. Yes, the Marino deal was good value, but it was one deal. You talk as if these deals go down frequently. That list of players is irrelevant; some of them are rentals; some left-side defensemen; some 30 + years old. Not a comparable group. Mete? Zaitsev? These are your exemplars? Bear is a solid #5 and I would be shocked if he signed for less than 2 million -- especially if it is more than a one year deal. My comment is less about how fantastic Bear is and more about the scarcity of available and suitable alternatives. Trevor Van Riemsdyk just got 3.0 X 3. Do you think Washington sign that deal if there all these readily available, young right-side defensemen changing hands at low-cost? Part of Bear's appeal is his age. 

• There it is 1

13 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

You saying it doesn't make it true. Is there a quote somewhere from someone involved with the trade confirming he had no material weight in the deal? Bear is more than a slightly more accomplished NHL player than Foote at this point. I was referring to Smith's resume in comparison to Rathbone's; it was not a small difference. Yes, the Marino deal was good value, but it was one deal. You talk as if these deals go down frequently. That list of players is irrelevant; some of them are rentals; some left-side defensemen; some 30 + years old. Not a comparable group. Mete? Zaitsev? These are your exemplars? Bear is a solid #5 and I would be shocked if he signed for less than 2 million -- especially if it is more than a one year deal. My comment is less about how fantastic Bear is and more about the scarcity of available and suitable alternatives. Trevor Van Riemsdyk just got 3.0 X 3. Do you think Washington sign that deal if there all these readily available, young right-side defensemen changing hands at low-cost? Part of Bear's appeal is his age. 

Agreed, and just like how Schenn was a top-pair guy next to Hughes in a pinch due to how shallow our RHD depth is, Bear in a pinch should be able to grow into and play a top-4 D role, at least in a pinch given how young he is (and the fact that he's in a non-contending team).  Of course with Hronek in the fold now hopefully the top pair RD position is stabilized and then I think the rest can be decided by committee (between Bear/ Schenn if he comes back/ Juulsen/ Burroughs/ Myers, whoever wins spots).  It's not the best option to have to rely on Bear on the 2nd pair, but again we could do worse (he was playing with Hughes at times this season).

Edited by Phil_314

I really hope Ethan Bear is a Vancouver Canuck next year, and hopefully for three years coming, if his agent says it will be a one or a three, lets do THREE!! Honestly, he put up a point every four games, not super fantastic but not his job either, in his small showing of 5 on 5 hockey as a Canuck he is a plus player with so few points, which points directly to how effective he is at defending.  At this point, arguably an upgrade over OEL at a smattering of the price.

• Like 1

He’s a safe option for the RD to buy us some time. He’s pretty good at transitioning the puck, making a quick fake to lose a forechecker, followed by an accurate outlet pass.

After PA described our identity as a fast team that gets the puck to our forwards, I can see how he fits.

32 minutes ago, billabong said:

1yr/1.5m

take it or leave it 

hughes-xxxxx

xxxxx-hronek

OEL-bear

brisebois-Burroughs/poolman 

I like this idea. It's pretty much what I wanted us to do with Stecher. Bear is a perfectly fine 3rd pair guy. 1.5mil isn't breaking the bank. It just works. Also kicks the can down the road on Woo potentially developing into roster piece. If he can manage it at all.

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I like this idea. It's pretty much what I wanted us to do with Stecher. Bear is a perfectly fine 3rd pair guy. 1.5mil isn't breaking the bank. It just works. Also kicks the can down the road on Woo potentially developing into roster piece. If he can manage it at all.

It it idealizing the Canucks blueline a bit that they’ll add two top 4 D in the summer but that would be a pretty good D core if they can pull it off 

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Since Bear is an RFA with arbitration rights, VAN would be required to make a qualifying offer of at least $2.2m in order to maintain Bear as a RFA. Doing that risks an arbitration case that may end up paying Bear much more than $2.2m.

In order to sign him for $1.5m we would have to allow his RFA rights to lapse and offer him $1.5m as a UFA.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Since Bear is an RFA with arbitration rights, VAN would be required to make a qualifying offer of at least $2.2m in order to maintain Bear as a RFA. Doing that risks an arbitration case that may end up paying Bear much more than $2.2m.

In order to sign him for $1.5m we would have to allow his RFA rights to lapse and offer him $1.5m as a UFA.

Bear will be qualified. He’s way better than Myers. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 12:54 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Have to be traded. At this point, where St. Louis is at, he might not cost that much. Doesn't use his size as much as he should but he's a pretty solid all around defenseman who might be looking for a change of scenery.

He's in the Miller age range, mind you.

Honestly I think Parayko would be an excellent fit.  The only way it works is swapping him for Miller though (they add), we don’t have the cap space and don’t want to be carrying two older players at a big price tag.

Hughes-Parayko

Gavrikov-Hronek

OEL- XX

If we could drop Miller and Myers cap hits that frees up a lot of space to redo the defence.

Of course this plan works a whole lot better if you can slot Bedard/Fantilli/Carlson as 2C in the near future on a cheap ELC deal. 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Honestly I think Parayko would be an excellent fit.  The only way it works is swapping him for Miller though (they add), we don’t have the cap space and don’t want to be carrying two older players at a big price tag.

Hughes-Parayko

Gavrikov-Hronek

OEL- XX

If we could drop Miller and Myers cap hits that frees up a lot of space to redo the defence.

Of course this plan works a whole lot better if you can slot Bedard/Fantilli/Carlson as 2C in the near future on a cheap ELC deal. 

That XX could be Schenn. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Not sure he’s shown enough to buy UFA years - but I can’t see them not qualifying him. At the least you can flip him at the deadline in that case.  Makes no sense to just let him walk.

• Cheers 2