The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Ethan Bear Contract Talks

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Save all our cap space for legit top 4’s and give guys like Brisebois, Wolanin, and Juulsen a shot. 

Cant be paying 2+ mil for a bottom pair defender. And if we are that money should go to Schenn not Bear.

Schenn 33 will only get slower then he is.. 

I like Brisebois 25, Wolanin 27, Juulsen 25 but I don't think there # 6 NHL D men? 

Bear 25 RD has shown he is a NHL #4 or #5 guy-- Well worth 1.8 -- 2.2 million range X 1 yr show me more..

Schenn 33 will want at least 1million or more will he even sign? Will get slower...

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Schenn 33 will only get slower then he is.. 

I like Brisebois 25, Wolanin 27, Juulsen 25 but I don't think there # 6 NHL D men? 

Bear 25 RD has shown he is a NHL #4 or #5 guy-- Well worth 1.8 -- 2.2 million range X 1 yr show me more..

Schenn 33 will want at least 1million or more will he even sign? Will get slower...

Agreed 1 year deal max for Bear

Focus on getting another top four D-man and keep running the group of D-men who are hungry to keep an NHL job: Juulsen, etc.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Bear to Winnepeg for Logan Stanley? both are RFA with Stanley fitting the age bracket Allvin has mentioned.

As a Manitoban, and Jets as my #2, I say no to Stanley. He's big. That's it. I'd rather run it back with Bear and Schenn/Juulsen than see Stanley in a Canucks uniform. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, billabong said:

I like bear but don’t love him

If bear wants to squeeze us for more money after essentially saving his career….take a hike bud

now what complicates it is poolman holding 2.5m on the cap hostage as a RHD 3rd pair guy 

I don't think Poolman is gonna play again.  LTIR for the rest of his contract. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I mean, considering their defense hasn't been solid forever that's not really a ringing endorsement. Same goes for his being anywhere near our top 4, we haven't had a really solid D core since the early 2010's. Maybe his stint in Carolina was an outlier, maybe it wasn't, at the end of the day he wasn't cracking the D core of one of the best defensive teams in the league. 

If our aim is to really build our defense we want better players than Bear in our top 4 imo. He's a 5 who can slot higher tops imo, or he should be. And at that point he's a bottom pairing RD, there are more cost effective options for bottom pairing RD, Schenn would be one of them. 

Myers has actually looked better of late, we've seen fewer of those chaos giraffe moments. If he's not traded I could very well see us just riding out that last season, at least til the deadline. Or maybe in it's entirety.  

I'm not opposed to retaining Bear but I don't think he's as important as some folks seem to. I wouldn't be giving him anything beyond a short term deal. 

Where are you getting a better top 4 option in the immediacy for 2-3 million? The better top 4 option is coming from replacing Myers not replacing Bear. 

#4/5 defenseman to me means in the right situation (not just a 'bad team') or when at their best could be a solid #4. Look at some of the guys Tampa has had in the #4 role for example, or STL with guys like Edmundson/Gunnarsson. Myers, Hamonic, Poolman - these are all #4 or #5 defenseman aswell (imo) that we've tried, and I think Bear is the best fit of any of them, likely coming on a more favorable contract. 

Even if you want 2 RHD ahead of him on your depth chart, why get rid of someone capable? Why not have depth & make that it a strength for once? Injuries will happen, I'd rather Bear as the next guy up than Juulsen or Schenn. 

3 years max, but I would make it a priority to retain him so long at it in the 2-3M range max. 

24 minutes ago, billabong said:

I like bear but don’t love him

If bear wants to squeeze us for more money after essentially saving his career….take a hike bud

now what complicates it is poolman holding 2.5m on the cap hostage as a RHD 3rd pair guy 

I am genuinely curious. Is Poolman like, done-done as a player? Cause Arizona took Weber's contract which is longer and all it cost was a 5th rounder. I'd do a 4th just to remove Poolboy. Although, ideally I'd rather it be closer to that 5th rounder price it cost to remove Weber's contract.

11 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Where are you getting a better top 4 option in the immediacy for 2-3 million? The better top 4 option is coming from replacing Myers not replacing Bear. 

#4/5 defenseman to me means in the right situation (not just a 'bad team') or when at their best could be a solid #4. Look at some of the guys Tampa has had in the #4 role for example, or STL with guys like Edmundson/Gunnarsson. Myers, Hamonic, Poolman - these are all #4 or #5 defenseman aswell (imo) that we've tried, and I think Bear is the best fit of any of them, likely coming on a more favorable contract. 

Even if you want 2 RHD ahead of him on your depth chart, why get rid of someone capable? Why not have depth & make that it a strength for once? Injuries will happen, I'd rather Bear as the next guy up than Juulsen or Schenn. 

3 years max, but I would make it a priority to retain him so long at it in the 2-3M range max. 

I've said I'm not opposed to keeping him, I just think there are other options who provide different things. If they can ship out Myers and fill that spot with someone else, great. If they can't and Bear remains there as a stopgap going into next season? Yeah, that'd be disappointing. I'm not saying 5-6D don't have their place, I just don't think he's irreplaceable and I wouldn't be handing bottom pairing D a whole lot of term in general. Bottom pairing guys aren't difficult to find. Lot of teams have guys who can move up in a pinch, Bear isn't unique in that respect.

Like I said in my first post in this thread, a one year deal would be fine but if we can upgrade on him I'd be looking to do so. Players will be replaced as we overhaul and upgrade our D, it's just how she goes. Teams are always looking to make their roster better, you do that in part by not getting too attached to particular players. 

It also depends on what our internal options look like. Bottom pairing guys are the most replaceable, bottom pairing spots are typically also where players breaking into the league do their time. What if we sign Livingstone and he doesn't look like a top 4 guy off the hop? What if they think Woo can make the jump sooner than later, if only as a more cost effective third pairing option. Can Juulsen potentially do it cheaper? Does Burroughs have more to give? What about Dermott? He can play both sides. Do they want a look at Johansson? Does someone like they become available via trade?

Lot of options for replacing Bear, I wouldn't give him too much or too much term. 

I'd rather keep Burroughs than Bear for his physicality, and even then he would 4RD, not 4th highest defenceman.

I would offer Bear league minimum (does he have a QO requirement?) for one year as depth.

I like Bear but... I wouldn't offer more $ or term or clauses.

We have a number of RFAs and UFAs which we should consider losing; we can always pick up league minimum fillers later.

I'd stock up Abby defencemen for injury fill-in and playoffs, but we may not even make the playoffs next year.

We have to let some players go; maybe for less than they seem to be worth.

Fill in from the top and push current placeholders down the roster.

Can't be worried about cannon fodder.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

You aren't taking the cap into consideration here.  You can't be paying 5/6 Dmen $3 million.  Schenn at $1.15 million is perfectly fine on the 3rd pairing.  Or another UFA signing.  If they sign Livingstone who is 6'4" and 205 pounds then they don't need Bear either.

At the end of the day, we have our guy now in Hronek who will play on the 2nd pairing.  Still looking for a guy to play with Hughes.  Not sold on Bear being the guy long term with Hughes, too small of a top pairing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You aren't taking the cap into consideration here.  You can't be paying 5/6 Dmen $3 million.  Schenn at $1.15 million is perfectly fine on the 3rd pairing.  Or another UFA signing.  If they sign Livingstone who is 6'4" and 205 pounds then they don't need Bear either.

At the end of the day, we have our guy now in Hronek who will play on the 2nd pairing.  Still looking for a guy to play with Hughes.  Not sold on Bear being the guy long term with Hughes, too small of a top pairing.

Bear is not the answer for Hughes. It smacks of another stopgap approach rather than bearing down and actually finding a way to get a legitimate, long term partner for Quinn. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Bear is not the answer for Hughes. It smacks of another stopgap approach rather than bearing down and actually finding a way to get a legitimate, long term partner for Quinn. 

I don't think he's the answer to Hughes, but he's not worthless either, he definitely hasn't hurt the team especially since Tocchet has come in I'm fine with a 1 year deal even at the 2.2 range depending on who and what we can move out Myers/Boeser/Pearson etc. 

• Haha 1