The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report/Rumour] Ethan Bear Contract Talks

Wow folks on here are harsh. Juulsen is not the tire fire people make him seem. Is he scoring? No. But is he defending yes. Will he make inexperienced mistakes? Yes. He has less that a full season in the NHL over parts of 5 seasons. He's fine in the AHL. IMHO he's less of a liability than Myers, Stillman, or OEL this season. I don't mind having more options as a stay at home defenceman with some upside.

If Burroughs didn't fight he'd be in the minors. He brings grit and not much else. And makes more mistakes I would say than Juulsen or Bear.

Livingstone should be a priority for this club. But we should also be patient with him as well.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You think Pettersson and Hughes are interested in another year of missing them? I'm thinking AiLvin doesn't think so, or he wouldn't have traded for Hronek. 

I don't actually think we will miss them; and Petey, Huggy, and Company might make sure we don't.

I just want CDC to step back from the "We need everything right now!" abyss and Chicken Little-ing.

Can't even acquire an RD like Hronek without the moaning and whaling.

Can't even win a couple of hockey games cuz we need to act like Stupid Bastards* for Connor Bedard.

It is still only March 2022 and we just got past the TDL.

Soon we will be able to wheel and deal again, draft again, re-assess, etc.

Austin powers in goldmember GIF - Conseguir el mejor gif en GIFER

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Team will have to make sacrifices in order to clear cap.

This would be a minor one. 

I would look at moving beauvillier this off season. With a 4x1 that's a easy asset (2nd) + capspace.

We would all prefer to move Garland but I just don't think anyone wants him lol. This off season will be spicy one way or another.

I'm sure boeser is a given to be moved. Guy is at a low point and his stats still reflect a quality 2nd liner but he obviously needs to score more to be worth his pay. I want enough cap to sign gavrikov. Find it very interesting he's a gold star client and refused to talk extension with LA. Apparently told them he wants to test UFA ( don't quote me on that ) 

• Cheers 1

LHD.                RHD

Hughes.        Myers 

OEL.               Hronek

Dermott. rfa    Bear.  rfa

Rathbone.     Burroughs ufa

Wolanin.   ufa   Juulsen rfa

Brisebois. rfa     Johansson(When will he join the team?)

Fans also want to buyout or trade OEL.

Fans also want to buyout or trade Myers.

Bear wants a raise.

canucks are also barely under cap for next year with a half roster signed, people think we will get better via trade or UFA, good luck with without major rentention and sweeteners.

Buyout OEL and save the following...

year 1=146k

year 2=2.346

year 3=4.766

year 4=4.766

year 5=2.126

year 6=2.126

Myers should not be bought out, period. If he is the only option as a trade to get cap space then retain .50% and trade him for w.e as long as zero cap space with term comes back....

5 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I would look at moving beauvillier this off season. With a 4x1 that's a easy asset (2nd) + capspace.

We would all prefer to move Garland but I just don't think anyone wants him lol. This off season will be spicy one way or another.

I'm sure boeser is a given to be moved. Guy is at a low point and his stats still reflect a quality 2nd liner but he obviously needs to score more to be worth his pay. I want enough cap to sign gavrikov. Find it very interesting he's a gold star client and refused to talk extension with LA. Apparently told them he wants to test UFA ( don't quote me on that ) 

Boeser with solid retention or a contract coming back is movable. 

Garland tough too. 

Beauv would be the easy option. 

Myers will require a significant sacrifice. Regardless of his 1M salary bottom teams will want a significant amount for a 6M cap hit if they aren’t on his a 10 team NTC. Cap is premium. Might be best to retain 50% then he becomes useful. 

OEL probably best to wait out. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wow folks on here are harsh. Juulsen is not the tire fire people make him seem. Is he scoring? No. But is he defending yes. Will he make inexperienced mistakes? Yes. He has less that a full season in the NHL over parts of 5 seasons. He's fine in the AHL. IMHO he's less of a liability than Myers, Stillman, or OEL this season. I don't mind having more options as a stay at home defenceman with some upside.

If Burroughs didn't fight he'd be in the minors. He brings grit and not much else. And makes more mistakes I would say than Juulsen or Bear.

Livingstone should be a priority for this club. But we should also be patient with him as well.

We need more accountability though. Look at Minnesota. They have a young puck mover in Addison. They sit him frequently for ONE defensive issue in a game. Can't just allow these guys to keep fumbling plays over and over while not doing nearly as bad as the previous guy so we all give him the "HES GOOD" treatment when that's really not the case.

All I can suggest to everyone is pick a good east team you like and start watching them as much as you can. You will see the major differences between a bubble at best defense vs a top teir defense in 1 shift haha!

I couldn't agree more with livingstone. We need to he gathering up as much free NCAA / euro prospects looking for opportunity as possible. We won't have many high picks ( probably just our 1st ) for the remaining length of this "window" with EP and Hughes. More free talent the better!

29 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Let him walk, Only reason we ever got excited is because he's a D-man..7-8th at that.

He is a solid #4. Not a guy we should go crazy signing long term but worth bringing back. 

OEL is the wild card. Hughes I am comfortable with #1, Hronek #2 and Bear #4. Can OEL be a solid #3?

Only sold on Schenn as a #7 tops and Dermott’s injuries have soured me on him - I thought he was the ideal bottom pairing guy before. Still might be worth bringing back since he can play both sides. 

Severson would be a better option than Bear if we can move Myers. Wolanin is great - he might beat out Dermott if we re-sign him. I also was thinking a Myers for Nemeth swap might make sense for both teams - he plays both sides as well but doesn’t beat out Wolanin IMO. Rathbone should also be in the mix.

Hughes Severson

OEL Hronek

Wolanin/Dermott/Rathbone Bear

Schenn

AHL

Johansson 

Brisebois 
Juulsen

Burroughs 

8D92891F-C4B3-4AB1-AC4F-FDA54E1DF35F.jpeg

5EB43E63-5BF8-4966-965F-F5BC07C94CB9.jpeg

5C2ACB5F-5FB5-477B-A95B-AE507224976C.jpeg

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

LHD.                RHD

Hughes.        Myers 

OEL.               Hronek

Dermott. rfa    Bear.  rfa

Rathbone.     Burroughs ufa

Wolanin.   ufa   Juulsen rfa

Brisebois. rfa     Johansson(When will he join the team?)

Fans also want to buyout or trade OEL.

Fans also want to buyout or trade Myers.

Bear wants a raise.

canucks are also barely under cap for next year with a half roster signed, people think we will get better via trade or UFA, good luck with without major rentention and sweeteners.

Buyout OEL and save the following...

year 1=146k

year 2=2.346

year 3=4.766

year 4=4.766

year 5=2.126

year 6=2.126

Myers should not be bought out, period. If he is the only option as a trade to get cap space then retain .50% and trade him for w.e as long as zero cap space with term comes back....

Myers cost us at least 10 losses a year. We absolutely cannot have playoffs in mind next year while also having him in the top 4.

If we had 10 more wins than losses right now we would be in the playoff battle

• Upvote 1

Just now, canucklehead44 said:

He is a solid #4. Not a guy we should go crazy signing long term but worth bringing back. 

OEL is the wild card. Hughes I am comfortable with #1, Hronek #2 and Bear #4. Can OEL be a solid #3?

Only sold on Schenn as a #7 tops and Dermott’s injuries have soured me on him - I thought he was the ideal bottom pairing guy before. Still might be worth bringing back since he can play both sides. 

Severson would be a better option than Bear if we can move Myers. Wolanin is great - he might beat out Dermott if we re-sign him. I also was thinking a Myers for Nemeth swap might make sense for both teams - he plays both sides as well but doesn’t beat out Wolanin IMO

Hughes Severson

OEL Hronek

Wolanin/Dermott Bear

Schenn

AHL

Johansson 

Brisebois 
Juulsen

Burroughs 

8D92891F-C4B3-4AB1-AC4F-FDA54E1DF35F.jpeg

5EB43E63-5BF8-4966-965F-F5BC07C94CB9.jpeg

5C2ACB5F-5FB5-477B-A95B-AE507224976C.jpeg

Please never suggest east coast Myers again. We want nothing to do with yet another massive retirement deal severson is seeking:P

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Boeser with solid retention or a contract coming back is movable. 

Garland tough too. 

Beauv would be the easy option. 

Myers will require a significant sacrifice. Regardless of his 1M salary bottom teams will want a significant amount for a 6M cap hit if they aren’t on his a 10 team NTC. Cap is premium. Might be best to retain 50% then he becomes useful. 

OEL probably best to wait out. 

Myers is such a interesting case once that bonus is paid. Being against the cap will have all the vultures circling looking for picks on top. But at the same time a bottom feeder might see that as a flip able asset + big dollar to yet to the cap floor ( Chicago has soo much capspace next year ) 

I can't help but laugh when typing that out thinking someone will gain assets for Myers... But remember it's only us that can't do that! Nearly everyone else has proven they can convince others to take on a bad player and get paid to do so :lol:

11 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Myers is such a interesting case once that bonus is paid. Being against the cap will have all the vultures circling looking for picks on top. But at the same time a bottom feeder might see that as a flip able asset + big dollar to yet to the cap floor ( Chicago has soo much capspace next year ) 

I can't help but laugh when typing that out thinking someone will gain assets for Myers... But remember it's only us that can't do that! Nearly everyone else has proven they can convince others to take on a bad player and get paid to do so :lol:

Cap will take precedence over his salary. Teams will want a solid return for a 6M cap it. Monahan got a first when the Flames were against the cap last offseason. 

Teams won’t do us any favours and his 10-team no trade list will heavily favour any bottom team if they aren’t already on it. 

Best bet is probably retaining 50% and there will probably be more willing takers. 

33 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I don’t see Arizona getting close to the cap. Nemeth is a $2.5M cap hit and $3.5M salary. Myers is only a $1M salary so we save $3.5M in cap and Arizona saves $2.5M in cash.

Myers also returns a mid-late round draft pick at the deadline @50% retained most likely whereas Nemeth is a waiver guy. 

Other players who we could maybe move Myers for:

Driedger - $3.5M cap hit

Zack Kassian $3.2M cap hit 

Mike Reilly - $3M cap hit 

Nikita Zaitsev - $4.5M cap hit

Marco Scandella - $3.275M cap hit 

Cal Peterson - $5M cap hit 

Alec Martinez - $5.25M cap hit 

Radek Faska - $3.25M cap hit 

Agree with most people here. 

I like Bear a lot and think they should resign him. If the options are 1 or 3 year deals go with 1 for under 2million. Our D is in a transition period I think with Meyers only having 1 year left, so no need to overcommit right now. 

• Cheers 1

Is he not fond of Vancouver?   
Either way, he is a 6-7 guy and is overpaid.  
Folks here think he is doing good, but our defence is close to worst in the league.  
His ‘good’ is still garbage compared to actual good defenders.  

If he won’t sign for 1.75-2 mill, so long Sally.  

We need to start collecting actual quality defenders if we want to improve.  
Not settling for these kinda players 

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

Bear is a #4 on a dog pooh team.  
On a team with a quality d-core, he is a 6-7.  
We need to stop settling for this garbage if we want to actually compete.  
We suck if he is in our top 4

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Bear is the current teams version of Stetcher.    Sure he's got a home on an NHL team somewhere.   But we shouldn't be handing him to the keys to the kingdom either.   

Bear has a little bit more utility than Stech, but I do see them as equals. 

Really wish we all had an inkling towards what Myers and OEL ultimate fates are... Until then we'll be sucking the hind teet, wishing we knew.

I'd like Ethan Bear 3 years / 8.01m for 2.67aav 

Who says no?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Western Red said:

Bear has a little bit more utility than Stech, but I do see them as equals. 

Really wish we all had an inkling towards what Myers and OEL ultimate fates are... Until then we'll be sucking the hind teet, wishing we knew.

I'd like Ethan Bear 3 years / 8.01m for 2.67aav 

Who says no?

Me. We shouldn't be paying him more than $2, and I'd be wary of the unnecessary term.

• There it is 1