The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is Your Offseason Wishlist/Priorities?

Rate this topic

Diamonds

Okay, hypothetical - Canucks don't win a lottery spot and drop 2 spots back, picking at #14. Boohoo, too bad, so sad, but at least Bedard is in ARI 

JR/PA trade the 1st, OEL and Hoglander to X for _______

Boeser is also traded to X for _________

They keep Tyler Myers for his last season, as he's cheap after his bonus is paid

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Beauvillier

Podkolzin - Miller - Kravtsov

Mikheyev - _____ - Garland

McDonough - Aman - Joshua

Raty

Hughes - _____

_____ - Hronek

Dermott - Myers

Wolanin - Bear

Johansson

Demko/Silovs

Maybe they get Livingstone as well

I fear going through the next 4 years with OEL, as VAN did with LEriksson. They may want to bite the bullet and be done with it so they can progress.

-Trade Miller for Kotkaniemi, Morrow, 2023 1st

-Trade Boeser and Rathbone for Ristolainen (https://phillyhockeynow.com/2023/01/20/philadelphia-flyers-rasmus-ristolainen-improved-notch-morgan-frost-john-tortorella-physical/)

-Draft Dvorsky (Our first) and Strbak (From Carolina trade)

-Trade Myers for anything or nothing once his bonus is up

-Sign Tryamkin and Livingstone

Kuzmenko Pettersson Beauvillier

Mikhayev Kotkaniemi Garland

Podkolzin Raty Kravtsov

Joshua Aman Hoglander

Studnicka

Hughes Hronek

OEL Ristolainen

Tryamkin Livingstone

Bear, Morrow 

Demko

Silovs

Go with the youth movement building around the timeline of Petey and Hughes and adjust where needed (Cap gets freed up from these moves).  Tons of prospects in the pipeline as spots come available and minor tweaking as needed since C is a little bit risky in this proposal.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

People want ^, but will probably get:

TPEHockey on Twitter: "Russian sensation Matvei Michkov will be switching  programs next season from Lokomotiv Yaroslavl to SKA St. Petersburg. He'll  be on their affiliate team, SKA-1946, the powerhouse of the MHL.

This management group loves the Russians! 

Michkov would be an INSANE get if he falls to us

Imagine when Bedard's 4 years in Arizona are up and he refuses to re-sign there b/c he wants to play for Vancouver

Then we have Bedard and Michkov, and we've now recreated the pittsburgh penguins. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Diamonds said:

With this season starting to wind down and our extended training camp finalizing it's evaluations, I was wondering what everyone's offseason wishlist and priorities are.

Here are mine:

1. Clear cap space

To me this means first and foremost trading one of our redundant scoring wingers. Ideally it will be one of Garland or Boeser but Beauvillier also works if they can't find a suitor for one of the former.

2. Signing a 3C/Match-up C

I'm loving the idea of rolling Podkolzin and Kravstov together on our 3rd line next season but they need a better center to play with them. With Raty being possibly only one more year away I would be happy going with a vet on a one year contract to act as a mentor and defensive presence on this line. Someone like Haula if the Devils let him go would be ideal, but Lars Eller could also be a good one year option. Bjugstad might be a good cheap consideration and if management thinks Raty is more that 1 year out then going after someone like David Kampf on a multi-year deal could work great.

3. Continue addressing the defense

Unfortunately our defense is still a major work in progress. I only have it down at #3 because I think it will be the hardest to address. For starters I would love to see Myers traded at 50% retention this summer. It doesn't matter to me what the return is just the cap space. Following that, a lot depends on how Hronek looks once he gets a couple games in. If Hronek and Hughes show early chemistry it will make everything much easier. However, if it looks like they are better off being on different lines it still leaves a major hole next to Hughes. Regardless of whether Hughes and Hronek play together or not, I think the team should really look to bring in another top 4 defenseman. The RHD UFA class is pretty weak this year, but if it looks like we need to split up Hronek and Hughes, I would be interested in bringing in Mayfield as a multi-year stopgap to play with Hughes. On left left side, bringing in a Gavrikov or Graves would also help stabilize the defense. Mostly however, I don't want to see the Canucks overspend on the defense this offseason as I don't think there is a quick fix.

I don't think any of this suddenly makes the Canucks a playoff team next year, but it should make the team more competitive as well as aid the development of our younger players and put the team in a better position to make future deals/moves.

What are your priorities for the Canucks going into the offseason?

1. Draft Lottery win one of Bedard / Fantilli, Pipe Dream.

2. Petey Extension

3. Hronek Extension

4. Trade Myers without taking salary back

5. Trade Boeser without taking salary back

6.. Sign Jake Livingstone give him some NHL games to end the year, lots of practice time with Foote and Gonchar and set him up for a big offseason to prepare for next year's opportunity of being Quinn Hughes D Partner.

7.. Sign a top 4 LHD in Gavriikov or Graves to a reasonable UFA contract to play with Hronek

8. IF there is a Trade for Garland without taking back big money and the team is confident we can improve with moving him say replacing his minutes with Hoglander then go for it although hes been playing very well with Tocchet.

9. IF we do not win the draft lottery, and we couldn't acquire a Young C one with a trade with Boeser/Garland/Rathbone/Hoglander. Barbashev seems to be a 3C UFA option.

10. Re-Sign Bear to a 1 year deal $2.5 Million

11. Access OEL on the team one more year maybe before a forced buyout. Bu hope he rebounds and potential moveable with some retention.

12. Trade Pearson if he is ready to play next year.

Potential Lineup Excluding BEDARD:

AB-PETEY-KUZMENKO

GARLAND/HOGLANDER-MILLER-MIKEHYEV

KRAVTSOV-BARBASHEV-PODKOLZIN

JOSHUA-AMAN-STUDNICKA

HUGHES-LIVINGSTONE

GAVRIKOV/GRAVES-HRONEK

OEL-BEAR

DEMKO

MARTIIN*

*I think he can still potentially be a solid back up for one year in a better structured team and a rebuilt confidence in the AHL to end the year here. If Demmer got hurt SILOVS could come up too.

SILOVS

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

For those saying retain on Myers, do you really think keeping any of the 1 mil owed will make a difference? If a team is willing to get Myers, they’d take him for the full 1 mil in salary he costs next year. No need to retain anything.

The retention on Myers has more to do with the cap hit than the salary. Even only being owed 1M salary after his bonus, no one (except maybe Arizona) wants a 6M cap hit Myers. However, at a 3M cap hit there might be some teams interested in him for a low acquisition cost.

• Upvote 1

What I'd like to happen:

1) Free up cap space. Flip Boeser and Myers, if we're lucky we get a pick or prospect out of them. If we're unlucky, we get a 2nd for Boeser and use it to trade Myers and we end up retaining 1-2M on the whole. But we free up around 10M in cap space.

2) Sign a solid LD to play with Hronek. Graves at 5M would be ideal.

3) Sign Livingstone and promise him top 4 minutes with Hughes and see how he gets on.

4) Sign a depth defenceman, either Dermott, Bear or someone external but I'd be happy keeping one of our guys.

5) Acquire a 3C. This is key, something we've neglected for years. There's UFAs out there like Kerfoot, Puis Suter or Sundqvist - relatively yount and good size. That is if we can't acquire one by trading Boes/Myers.

Lineup to start the season:

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Beauvillier - Miller - Garland

Kravstov - Sundqvist - Podkolzin

Joshua - Aman - Hoglander

Graves - Hronek

Hughes - Livingstone

OEL - Bear

Rathbone/Dermott

That's a well balanced lineup, maybe only 2M in dead cap by retaining (we free up 2.4M this offseason) and we have 4 decent centers and finally a decent top-4 defence. That's a better team on paper than a lot of wild card teams.

What I think will happen:

We sign a third line center like Kerfoot. Nothing else. Can't trade away cap and just keep our lineup status quo + Hronek.

Edited by DownUndaCanuck
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

1. Draft Lottery win one of Bedard / Fantilli, Pipe Dream.

2. Petey Extension

3. Hronek Extension

4. Trade Myers without taking salary back

5. Trade Boeser without taking salary back

6.. Sign Jake Livingstone give him some NHL games to end the year, lots of practice time with Foote and Gonchar and set him up for a big offseason to prepare for next year's opportunity of being Quinn Hughes D Partner.

7.. Sign a top 4 LHD in Gavriikov or Graves to a reasonable UFA contract to play with Hronek

8. IF there is a Trade for Garland without taking back big money and the team is confident we can improve with moving him say replacing his minutes with Hoglander then go for it although hes been playing very well with Tocchet.

9. IF we do not win the draft lottery, and we couldn't acquire a Young C one with a trade with Boeser/Garland/Rathbone/Hoglander. Barbashev seems to be a 3C UFA option.

10. Re-Sign Bear to a 1 year deal $2.5 Million

11. Access OEL on the team one more year maybe before a forced buyout. Bu hope he rebounds and potential moveable with some retention.

12. Trade Pearson if he is ready to play next year.

Potential Lineup Excluding BEDARD:

AB-PETEY-KUZMENKO

GARLAND/HOGLANDER-MILLER-MIKEHYEV

KRAVTSOV-BARBASHEV-PODKOLZIN

JOSHUA-AMAN-STUDNICKA

HUGHES-LIVINGSTONE

GAVRIKOV/GRAVES-HRONEK

OEL-BEAR

DEMKO

MARTIIN*

*I think he can still potentially be a solid back up for one year in a better structured team and a rebuilt confidence in the AHL to end the year here. If Demmer got hurt SILOVS could come up too.

SILOVS

#7 I beat that drum last year for those 2 seem'd none of CDC thought they had any value. 

8 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

For those saying retain on Myers, do you really think keeping any of the 1 mil owed will make a difference? If a team is willing to get Myers, they’d take him for the full 1 mil in salary he costs next year. No need to retain anything.

Edmonton had Nashville retain 4% on the Ekholm deal - ie 250K to drop his cap hit from 6.25M to 6M (3 years left).  Without that minor retention they wouldn't have been able to add Bjugstad.

Myers has a 10-team no trade - how many teams not on that list are able to absorb a 6M cap hit.  For contending teams it's not the salary the concern but the cap hit as it affects roster construction.  Bottom-feeders who would like to add him to reach the floor probably on his 10 team no-trade.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

#7 I beat that drum last year for those 2 seem'd none of CDC thought they had any value. 

To trade for them? Good eye for you. Only reason I would have been opposed was because with OEL and Hughes I wouldn’t wanna put serious money into a third pairing LHD before addressing the RHD. But that wa before OELs horrific year. 

10 hours ago, BCNate said:

Job 1- Open up cap space prior to the draft

-Trade Myers, will require retention (2Mil) and not return much

-Trade Garland, might have to retain 1 mil to acquire a 2nd

-Trade Pearson, probably have to retain half for future considerations

-Trade Poolmans LTIR contract.  I assume he is done, and someone will want the relief.

This opens up 12 million.

Job 2- Draft BPA

Job 3- Be active in the NCAA/Euro/Non qualified UFAs

Job 4- Sign our Players

-Re Sign- Wolanin, Juulsen, Burroughs, Di Guiseppe to two way deals, or they walk

-Re Sign Kravtsov, Bear to 1 way deals

-Dermott and Delia walk

UFA

-Sign Soucy to play with OEL

-Sign Graves to play with Hronek

-Sign an experienced back up that is on the tail end of their career to a shorter cheap deal ex. Quick, Andersen

-Sign the best defensive PK 3C we can get with our remaining $.

easy.

It's not easy.

How do you find takers for the likes of Pearson and Myers.  Why NHL teams want them?

Also, It's not about how little the returns are for those players, it's about what the Canucks want to add to get rid of those players.  Note that they traded two 2nd rd picks already this season.

19 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Retaining on Myers means retaining on the cap hit.  His actual salary is incidental.  

There are a few teams, as people have said, who need to get to the cap floor and Myers salary would be ideal for them if he would allow the trade (Anaheim, Chicago etc)  Otherwise, retention of cap would be necessary.

18 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Fix the D = playoffs in 2024

Yes agree fix the D..

After Myers bonus is paid of 5 million July 1st only 1 million is owing.. Easy to move him to a team that needs cap space and it only cost the new team actual 1 million Dollars and they receive 6 million on there salary.. I say Ducks will want the salary maybe receive 3rd rounder,,,

If Canucks can sign Livingstone 23 - 6'3 RD he should fit beside Hughes.

Try and sign Graves 6'5   225 lbs 27 LD

Already traded for Horonek RD top 30 NHL D man, awesome player will add lots to this team.. Everyone knows RD are hard to find and he is a top 30 NHL D man.

1. Hronek  Top  30 NHL D man  - Graves  LD  6'5

2. Hughes  Top 10 NHL D mn  - Livingstone 6'3 RD

3. OEL --- Bear  RD.  ---extra D men Filip Johansson 23  RD -- Juulsen  25 RD - -- Burroughs  27  LD -- Wolanin 27 LD  - Brisebois  25 -LD

Trade Boeser or Garland - maybe both players?? ----- Retain 1 million on Boeser contract to make it work easier X 2 yrs---- should receive 2nd or 3rd rounder or young prospect in return.

Dermott ?? Dont resign

Poolman - concussion - LTIR

Pearson 30 ? LTIR 

Rathbone -- Needs a new home no future here-- I like this D man never had a real good look? Package has talent

1. Beauvillier - Petey - Kuzmenko

2. Mikheyev -- Miller --Hoglander

3. Podkolzin -- ___    -- Kravsov

4.Joshua --- Aman  ________

Healthy Demko and no serious injuries this team should be in Playoff race next season-- Defence and structure will be much better..