The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is Your Offseason Wishlist/Priorities?

Rate this topic

Diamonds

20 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

For those saying retain on Myers, do you really think keeping any of the 1 mil owed will make a difference? If a team is willing to get Myers, they’d take him for the full 1 mil in salary he costs next year. No need to retain anything.

His cap hit is still the same 6mil. If you're a contending team, you need retention to make that move. I'd rather retain 50% this year for a good haul, then take a late round pick from Arizona to make the cap floor. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, MattWN. said:

His cap hit is still the same 6mil. If you're a contending team, you need retention to make that move. I'd rather retain 50% this year for a good haul, then take a late round pick from Arizona to make the cap floor. 

Yup. And if we can’t trade him this summer then for sure he’s at least third round pick value at the 2024 TDL. He’s been much better with the new coaching staff, that’s for sure. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup. And if we can’t trade him this summer then for sure he’s at least third round pick value at the 2024 TDL. He’s been much better with the new coaching staff, that’s for sure. 

Honestly, maybe I'm insane.. but I think at the deadline with 50% retained, and maybe a 3rd party team retaining.. I think Myers nets you a 1st +, or close to. Myers at 2.5-3 mil is a massive steal for a team looking to make a run. He would be an amazing middle pairing guy on a good team.

6 hours ago, MattWN. said:

Yup. Major brain slip on my part. I agree. I was thinking salary not cap.

my top three

1 Stay healthy. Get Hrodek and Mik back healthy and ready to play. Demko above all stay healthy. Pearson is done he will stay on LTIR most likely until end of next season.

2 As much as Myers has been bad especially since the playoff bubble run he has the tools. If Foote can get more out of him I dont mind him staying. Just need a better contract when this one if up. He isnt  a top 2 but could play top 4. Just be physical and at a price we can swallow.

3 moving one of the forwards with a bigger contract, just to free up the cap space. I would pick Garland if we can get him moved and even Boeser as well if possible. Beauvillier is a third option if we cant move the other two but i like what he has brought to the team. Scoring hasnt really been a concern. we need a good 3 C selke candidate.

• Sad 1

I agree with a lot of what the OP says.

First off, we have to move some salary. Boeser 100% has been go. He's not a fit for this team any more and he needs a fresh start. Retain up to 2 million if you have to and move him for the highest pick or best prospect you can get. I'd also consider moving Garland, although I like his game more than Boeser's. He's just a bit too pricey for what he brings, and with some of the signings I'd like to make, we'd probably need to move more salary to make it happen. 

Myers should be moved too. He only has one year left, so retain 50% of his cap hit and move him for whatever you can get. 

Sign a short term 3C option. Bjugstad or Eller would be solid options that would hopefully both be willing to sign short term, low cost deals. Ride with one of them for a year or two while Aman and Raty (or this year's first?) develop into the role. 

Sign Livingstone. I really hope we're able to get this done. It could be huge for us going forward, especially if he's able to develop into a proper partner for Hughes. He'd be a perfect fit for our team and he's from BC (just ignore the fact that he was a dirty Flames fan growing up). 

Sign Bear to a one year contract. Bear has performed admirably since coming to Vancouver and would act as insurance if Livingstone flops. Someone that, ideally, is your 3rd pairing guy, but can slot into the top 4 if he needs to. If not Bear, then try and resign Schenn.

Sign Gavrikov. Seems like a solid fit for our team and could pair nicely with Hronec, Livingstone or Bear. We have a good relationship with his agent, so I can see this happening. 

I'm not 100% sure what to do with the 2nd line LW slot (assuming Pearson isn't coming back). What I do know is that I wouldn't want to bring in any more salary. Perhaps we just allow Kratsov and Hoglander to duke it out for the spot. 

Find a banger to put on the 4th line to give the roster a little more snarl. 

Kuzmenko- Pettersson- Beauvillier

Hoglander/Kratsov- Miller- Mikheyev

Kratsov/Hoglander- Bjugstad/Eller- Podkolzin

?- Aman- Joshua

Hughes- Hronek/Livingstone

Gavrikov- Livingstone/Hronek

OEL (ugh)- Bear

Extras- Burroughs- Juulson

Demko

Martin :wacko:

Something like that?

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Shed cap

Plan A

- Myers is an easy move with a low actual salary after his bonus is paid. He has actually been quite good lately but needs to be moved. It's OK to retain some salary for the coming year to help move him.

- Boeser to be moved. I like the guy but he is too soft. Canucks should take all offers that don't involve retaining salary. Package in Rathbone if needed

Plan B

- Move out Garland if the price is right but if Myers and Boeser can be moved then Garland can stay.

Plan C

- If none of the above work, plan C  is to buy out OEL, I'm on the fence if this should also be included in Plan A.

Defense

Plan A

- Sign Livingstone

- Sign a defensive LHD who can play 2nd pairing to bump OEL to  the 3rd

- Retain Bear for low cap hit

Plan B

- Afordable 2nd pair LHD or RHD that can play 20ish or so defensive minutes or so per night.

- Other NCAA defenseman signing(s)

Plan C

- Run with he current combination of Juulsen, Wolanin and Brisebois, this isn't improving on the status quo but these guys have been servicable. This would mean replacing their depth on the farm team with a few defense AHL signings.

Forwards

- Find a crotchety bottom pairing center who is great on defensive draws

- Add toughness, I'd consider moving Hogz for a lower scoring but harder hitting player. 

Goalie

- Sign a real NHL backup for 1-2 years to allow Silovs another year on the farm

Edit - Almost forgot - Draft Bedard!!!!

Edited by GB5
  • Cheers 1

On 3/10/2023 at 1:54 PM, BCNeil said:

Blue seats 

Please start to take care of Rogers Arena. New seats, better ice, and if your making a jersey change then announce it or announce the colours and the orca are here to stay. I love the black jersey but with the current jersey company only having a year left maybe they will wait unto then to announce something. I wonder what the sales are on the skate jersey compared to the orca. Either way pick a jersey and stick with it. No more back and forth.

• 2 months later...

Not saying I really want the player but why not Sean Monahan for cheap as the 3rd line center? Decent size, great at faceoffs, point production is there for a 3C. The knock on him was always he couldn’t play in the top 6 anymore and was overpayed. But if you can get him for around 2 mill a year to be your 3C I think he could be good value.

• Upvote 1

Once again, especially now that the Worlds are done, the Canucks absolute focus should be on improving the defense. Demko and Silovs will prove to be a tandem. 

Adding physicality and stay at home capability is very important in providing support to the tenders. I like it when my wife gives me some support in the tenders 

• Haha 1