The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] How badly has goaltending affected the Canucks this season?

Rate this topic

BigTramFan

4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

So many logical fallacies in this statement. 
Of all our players played better, we would probably be better.  Yes this is true. 

Demko is our most important player. We don’t have good enough supporting role depth to win with below average goaltending. Management has retooled enough where average goaltending is all we need to win. When they have completed retooling our D, then we will win with below average goaltending. And when Demko plays like Double Bubble Boy we will be a great team again. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Demko is our most important player. We don’t have good enough supporting role depth to win with below average goaltending. Management has retooled enough where average goaltending is all we need to win. When they have completed retooling our D, then we will win with below average goaltending. And when Demko plays like Double Bubble Boy we will be a great team again. 

Yep, only as good as one player.

Used to be a one line team thing but for this group of loser's and they still are, a one player team.

Tocchet the saviour with a structure, ya, right, sit the young guys out and increase the ice time to the best player by 20%, go to 3 lines, yep great structure and still a losing team.

This team has not been able to win meaningful games the last 4 or 5 years, not even the covid year where they only won 3 of their last 11 NHL regular season games and were not in a playoff spot when the league expanded the playin's to all but 8 teams.

Goalies in the entire league have reduced numbers except for a couple so Demko may not have been bubble Demko but he not likely to ever be again. These hip injuries just get worse and he can't keep taking Oxy's or the replacements for ever.

On 3/17/2023 at 1:37 PM, BCNate said:

78%Pk and .910 save% and we are a playoff team.  Those are just league average #'s, but save us a goal every game.

.904 ... save percentage's actually have gone up .01 since Demko came back.  

can't look at it that way and say well if goaltending was better.. we'd be a playoff team.. this team was bleeding high danger chance left and right.. put in a vezina goalie and they'll probably still struggle.. it's not they were giving up aa chance.. they were literally giving up AAAAAAAAA chance.. how many breakaways 2-1 3-1 were we giving up in the beginning of the season? how many PP goals were we giving up every game?

The poor defense is the much bigger issue and will likely be the same problem next year. I don't put much stock into this end of year coaching bump and can't see the team doing well if they have many games like the one against LA.

Edited by Mando27

I’ve said it all year. Average goaltending and we’re at least in the playoff hunt.

This team needs to have a good start next year, though, before I get too excited. They’ve proven to be mentally fragile the past few seasons, especially to start the year.

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I’ve said it all year. Average goaltending and we’re at least in the playoff hunt.

This team needs to have a good start next year, though, before I get too excited. They’ve proven to be mentally fragile the past few seasons, especially to start the year.

This is where I think a coach like Tochett might help them and having Foote and so on. The mental aspect. For the life of me I can't get why they don't start the year the way they ended it previously. I mean playing with passion and not just going through the motions until a big move/coaching change is made. Then they get their act together. Bizarre.

• Cheers 1

JR wanted to make the coaching change over the summer. As reported by Seravelli (posted in earlier threads) our owner refused. Our goaltending is a lot better with a healthy Demko (he’s brilliant) and with a total team commitment to defensively sound play. No more cheating the game to get points. 

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JR wanted to make the coaching change over the summer. As reported by Seravelli (posted in earlier threads) our owner refused. Our goaltending is a lot better with a healthy Demko (he’s brilliant) and with a total team commitment to defensively sound play. No more cheating the game to get points. 

I like the comment made by JT, "it's  fun coming to the rink again" 

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Silver lining to not having Demko for most of the year is that it shone a spotlight on just how terrible our defense actually is. There's no hiding from it now and management is finally being forced to take action. 

Well when he started the season he was awful as well so you can't overlook his part in it too.

6 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

This is where I think a coach like Tochett might help them and having Foote and so on. The mental aspect. For the life of me I can't get why they don't start the year the way they ended it previously. I mean playing with passion and not just going through the motions until a big move/coaching change is made. Then they get their act together. Bizarre.

They would just freeze up and start playing not to lose. Very bizarre how mentally fragile they were. 

I want to see two more moves, shipping out Myers and Boeser. Bring in one tough SOB and a young RHD and let's see how we do next year. 

• 2 weeks later...

It was absolutely horrible! Demko going down sunk our season and morale. I was a huge fan of what I saw from Martin and was rooting for him ... but we had too many holes that we were covering up and relying on with our offence.

That was Bruce hockey and worked when he unleashed from Green's approach but it's clear what we've needed all along was "structure" ... not just a meme buzzword but real structure. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2023 at 3:25 AM, Bob.Loblaw said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think some people are forgetting that Spencer Martin was outplaying Thatcher Demko at the start of the season.  A start which had us go winless in our first seven games.  It was a nightmare to watch us lose day in, day out - sometimes in dramatic fashion, too.  When Demko went down, it was sensible to keep Martin in net.  He was a feel-good story after playing lights out last year and outshining Halak.  I think it was fair to believe he could keep that up for a while, and unfortunate that he couldn't.  Even now I don't think those horrible stats from this season reflect his level of play.

The tank job started to begin when other players started to go down.  And the REAL tank job was when management held onto Boudreau for no apparent reason.

Not true...