The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Saturday March 18 2023 - Vancouver Canucks @ LA Kings - 7pm PT/10pm ET - LA

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

5 hours ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

I checked my gameday record: 19-19-2

40 games (not counting tonight)

19 Wins

19 Losses

2 Shootout Losses.

So i'm pretty neutral which makes sense as i was mr playoff optimist and now i'm tank enthusiastic.

Maybe i should start making GDTs :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

It's not taking a chance that he is a good player.  It is taking a chance that he stays in an increasingly isolated Russia until his rights expire.

Doesn't help he's 5'8" and 147 lbs. As someone pointed out, if he plays like Theo Fleury that's fine. But I highly doubt it.

3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

It's not taking a chance that he is a good player.  It is taking a chance that he stays in an increasingly isolated Russia until his rights expire.

That’s not happening. If he’s there at our pick we run up to the stage and take him. 

• Cheers 1

Alf there is a possibility that as things evolve Russia could shut down the ability for young Russians to leave to pursue a career in North America. This is a consideration for all teams right now.  Not unlike an earlier time behind the iron curtain why Bure was available so late in the draft.

5 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Michkov is officially around 160 lbs now.

And just turned 18yrs.  It would be very unusual for an 18yr boy to be the same weight at 22yrs. He may add

a couple of inches to his height as well.

• There it is 1

7 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Alf there is a possibility that as things evolve Russia could shut down the ability for young Russians to leave to pursue a career in North America. This is a consideration for all teams right now.  Not unlike an earlier time behind the iron curtain why Bure was available so late in the draft.

Bure was available late because we were the only team who knew he was eligible that year. 
Hopefully the teams selecting ahead of us are scared away from Michkov because of the Russian factor. Then we get the second best player in the draft. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

You are posting out of your bum.

45 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

On the question of whether or not to draft Michkov you have to look at the specifics.

Nux will likely finish 8 to 10th from the bottom.

Therefore they can draft 1st or 2nd or 8th 9th 10th 11th or 12th.

3rd to 7th isn't possible in this scenario.

So being specific.  Of course if you are drafting 1st you take Bedard not Michkov.

If you draft 2nd you likely take Fantilli not Michkov.

But if you draft 8th to 12th ya maybe you take a chance on him if he is available.

If it’s me, we’re drafting 8th and Michkov is on the board we take him 10 times out of 10.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

And just turned 18yrs.  It would be very unusual for an 18yr boy to be the same weight at 22yrs. He may add

a couple of inches to his height as well.

He’s currently listed at 5’10” so I think he’s already grown 2 inches…

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/699375/matvei-michkov

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Drafting Michkov isn’t “taking a chance”. He is a guy, if we’re so lucky to select him we will be seeing a phenom in our lineup when he’s here in three years. He’s a brilliant player. 

You havent even seen him play. 

Could just as likely be another yakupov

• Cheers 1