The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] March 19, 2023 - Vancouver Canucks @ Anaheim Quackers - 5PM PST / 8PM EST - The Flying Feathers Cup

Rate this topic

Rocket-68

31 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I predict that we'll pass the Sabres, Red Wings and the Senators in the overall standings before the season is over............................ 

.............................and start next season off with mediocre performance until next Feb when the team suddenly wakes up (AGAIN !)

RINSE & REPEAT.........same story year after year after year..........

Just now, 88Canuck said:

Fair points! I should have been clearer. When I say tantrum, it’s more about 2-3 people actually acting like toddlers and basically throwing a tantrum and posting the same whining post 10-15 in a PGT. 

It’s also the same people ignoring the fact that there has already been other changes, which again is all part of building & improving. 

If that all makes sense. 

It does. Things do change.I'm sure some people are just venting but yes some are annoying i'm sure. It is funny you talking about changes as many people who wanted us to tank were the ones who earlier in the season wanted brisebois and juulsen up to evaluate them at the expense of Myers and OEL. Sometimes viewpoints aren't as far apart as people think.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

Indeedy! Of course it’s nice to have the highest pick possible, but again, it’s only part of the puzzle. Some are ignoring that some of the puzzle pieces have already been put in place. 

The current Canucks "Puzzle" ............Meme Puzzle GIF - Meme Puzzle GIFs 

• Cheers 1

Just now, 88Canuck said:

Indeedy! Of course it’s nice to have the highest pick possible, but again, it’s only part of the puzzle. Some are ignoring that some of the puzzle pieces have already been put in place. 

Indeed. Can't tank now unless you're willing to trade the core guys keeping us from tanking (Petey, Hughes, Demko). Might as well embrace the retool.

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

.............................and start next season off with mediocre performance until next Feb when the team suddenly wakes up (AGAIN !)

Cope, seethe and mald. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

It is a combination of things to get to the end goal and improve! 

The problem is most “tank” people think tanking and getting a high draft pick is the one and only way. It’s not, it’s only one part of the puzzle. 

Then when things aren’t going their way, they constantly throw a tantrum. 

It’s not the one and only way but more often than not it gives you a big piece to the puzzle.

With 15 games remaining Id rather try and get one of those players who will help you for the next 15 years than winning some meaningless games.

You can paint it as a “tantrum” but it’s just frustration from fans who have every right to be frustrated. The end goal that everyone wants to see is this team improving. The whole us vs them mentality is pointless. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

It does. Things do change.I'm sure some people are just venting but yes some are annoying i'm sure. It is funny you talking about changes as many people who wanted us to tank were the ones who earlier in the season wanted brisebois and juulsen up to evaluate them at the expense of Myers and OEL. Sometimes viewpoints aren't as far apart as people think.

Sometimes they aren’t, totally agree! Some are just off in another universe. Lol! 

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Not with JR, Allvin and Tocchet. They just got here and it appears they know what they're doing. Team is playing well and having success. They made a huge trade a few weeks ago, and a few others. Things are changing. I know it's been said before, but next year really will be different. Tocchet is still evaluating the team, and more players will be gone in the off season, the right players brought in. They're winning some games, but they still have a chance at Bedard. 

"I'm a Canucks fan and I want them to lose every game!"  Something not right about this.  

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It’s not the one and only way but more often than not it gives you a big piece to the puzzle.

With 15 games remaining Id rather try and get one of those players who will help you for the next 15 years than winning some meaningless games.

You can paint it as a “tantrum” but it’s just frustration from fans who have every right to be frustrated. The end goal that everyone wants to see is this team improving. The whole us vs them mentality is pointless. 

I think we’ll pick a good player regardless, which will be part of the solution / puzzle. 

Frustration is fair, but some people have crossed the line and are in tantrum territory for sure. I wasn’t meaning to put everyone in the same boat. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

There are many ways to build a true contender. It is incredibly hard to build one without 2 top 10 draft picks. I posted about it a while back and Boston was the only winner in the past 20 years without them. The other factor is, the Canucks have tried a lot of the other options, they rarely embraced the full tank so that's why people are so keen on it. It's not a tantrum it was just frustrating to see the Canucks tanking and then they go back to their usual retool ways. 

I can see both sides of it, I get why people want the wins and they view these little growth spurts as a precursor of more. It's a fine and valid view which will be proven out next season. It's also valid to look at the Canucks over the past 20 years and see that they are overdue for a real overhaul and a reset, including some tank years.

In any case i hate the piling on here at times.

FACT:   Go back 45 years and only two teams have won the Stanley Cup without a top-three draft pick on their roster.

Stop dreaming.........!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/can-win-stanley-cup-without-top-3-draft-pick/

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Demko is playing the best hockey of his career.  He is back to stealing games against top competition.  So, your theory will not hold true for next year.  Once we replace a few of our AHL defencemen with NHL defencemen this team is a playoff team all day long...

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

Sometimes they aren’t, totally agree! Some are just off in another universe. Lol! 

Some of it is boredom too i'm sure. The forum is down to the long suffering diehards, some tragics who should be doing other things (me!) and people who enjoy being troll-like.

I remember when this place was too busy to worry about that in Canucks talk, all that stuff was in White Noise which was a fascinating cesspoll of it and some fun.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Nah, let them seethe. It's fun to poke them. 

28 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I predict that we'll pass the Sabres, Red Wings and the Senators in the overall standings before the season is over. Plenty more fun to be had!!

Go Canuks, Go!!!:towel:

Imo, coming into GDT (live) and cheering for a tank job is a form of trolling.  On the other hand, creating posts

that are geared to antagonize others is trolling as well. These behaviours are making the GDT threads unpleasant.

Tankers should express themselves in the tanking thread.  You're not going to convince anyone by constantly

repeating yourselves and mocking the people cheering for the team.  All you are doing is making the

game less enjoyable for others.

Non tankers should cheer for the team during the games and leave it at that.

17 minutes ago, Toews said:

Some of us have just decided that there is no point putting any emotional investment into an outcome that isn't going to come to pass. There is a very real possibility that pick is going to get moved in the offseason/draft anyway, so all this angst over one or two spots in the draft just isn't productive when the return is not going to be materially any different. The Canucks have chosen their direction, it may not be what a lot of us as fans wanted but it is something that we need to accept. A month ago heck even a week ago I was all on board with the tank but I have come to terms that what I wanted simply isn't going to happen. What you want isn't what you get in life, you can either choose to accept it with grace or piss and moan about it. I am likely not going to see this team win a Cup just like I am not going to be marrying a super model. C'est la vie.

All fair points.

But you’re telling Canucks fans not to piss and moan? That’s what we do! :lol:

I see a lot of people who were cheering on the tank a few weeks ago now pretending like they never wanted to tank. You can’t take some sort of high ground, when you were down in the mud not that long ago.

• Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

FACT:   Go back 45 years and only two teams have won the Stanley Cup without a top-three draft pick on their roster.

Stop dreaming.........!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/can-win-stanley-cup-without-top-3-draft-pick/

Ha it's even worse as it's really still 2 (the flames and the bruins) because Lindros was the first pick and his trade set up the Nords/Avs.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not with JR, Allvin and Tocchet. They just got here and it appears they know what they're doing. Team is playing well and having success. They made a huge trade a few weeks ago, and a few others. Things are changing. I know it's been said before, but next year really will be different. Tocchet is still evaluating the team, and more players will be gone in the off season, the right players brought in. They're winning some games, but they still have a chance at Bedard. 

"I'm a Canucks fan and I want them to lose every game!"  Something not right about this.  

Imagine a 3-time Stanley Cup champion actually knowing what he is doing.  It's so strange to have Stanley Cup champions managing and coaching this team that some people are actually really confused about it, thinking it's still Jim Benning and Travis Green running this team...

7 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

The current Canucks "Puzzle" ............Meme Puzzle GIF - Meme Puzzle GIFs 

This is the problem, people ignoring the facts & the changes that have already been made. A few people have done a good job of explaining it & breaking it down, so I’m not going to beat a dead horse. 

Some people can keep saying it’s the same, but it’s not and again, people have explained why. 

When people are given facts and ignore them, then that’s ignorance! 

5 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Stop dreaming.........!

The Edmonton Oilers of the 1980's never had a top 3 pick in the draft.  They won 5 cups...

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko is playing the best hockey of his career.  He is back to stealing games against top competition.  So, your theory will not hold true for next year.  Once we replace a few of our AHL defencemen with NHL defencemen this team is a playoff team all day long...

I won't disagree with you - BUT - our goal is to win the cup (REMEMBER???)   Not squeek in the playoffs and this team is miles away from that.   Granted, one step at time, but there are two many "passengers" on the Canucks train and why I and thousands of other Canuck fans are fed-up with the annual "tinkering around the edges" we go thru year after year after year without any sustained results and why many want a Rebuild because the springtime "Tinkerings" we've seen for over a decade have and are failing us.

I see no difference this year and we'll likely be having this same conversation this exact time next year!   (Hope I'm wrong!)

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Some of it is boredom too i'm sure. The forum is down to the long suffering diehards, some tragics who should be doing other things (me!) and people who enjoy being troll-like.

I remember when this place was too busy to worry about that in Canucks talk, all that stuff was in White Noise which was a fascinating cesspoll of it and some fun.

For sure! As a long time fan and sometimes lurker (Lol!), I see there’s definitely a change on here. Some of the not so fun aspects of it see more prevalent, which isn’t always fun.

4 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

I think we’ll pick a good player regardless, which will be part of the solution / puzzle. 

Frustration is fair, but some people have crossed the line and are in tantrum territory for sure. I wasn’t meaning to put everyone in the same boat. 

Yea some people take it too far, but I see alot of it as just venting. If you can’t vent here where are you gonna vent?

I personally think one of the missing pieces for us is another elite center. Maybe it ends up being another right shot D. It’s gonna be tough to see us miss out on all those top centers at the top of the draft though.

If we end up 9th or 10th and grab a top D I’ll be happy. But it still won’t change my belief that we need another center. That player will be hard to find outside the draft.

• Cheers 1