The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Management complains ahl has no prospects in system(discussion)

The management complains there are no prospects in system but we have all these players playing for different clubs overseas when they should be playing for ahl team instead and see how they play on the North American ice before saying anything. 

Mcdoughn playing for ncaa

Lekkerimaki playing for shl

Pettersson playing for Swedish team koskenvuo playing in Finland and Harvard forsell playing in Sweden 

johansson playing in Sweden 

plus much more. 

I would like to see them playing at least for ahl to see what they can do and if they fail you can always send them back. 

Let me know what you think.

• Vintage 1

Vancouver can't just sent Pettersson to the AHL - he wasn't a 1st round pick and is subject to the updated NHL/SHL transfer agreement.  His rights are with his Swedish team till 24 unless he makes the NHL before then or they waive their rights.  

The NHL/SHL adjusted the transfer agreement back in Spring 2022 where players picked outside of the 1st round have to be returned to their Swedish teams till age 24 instead of 21.  Their SHL team can waive that right, but the SHL has long complained that their league has been watered down because players are being sent to the AHL instead of being returned to Sweden so they've now increased the age threshold.  

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, Paul-walker said:

but we have all these players playing for different clubs overseas when they should be playing for ahl team instead and see how they play on the North American ice before saying anything. 

Why?

If a player can develop on a reasonable timeline and under reasonable coaches, what difference does it make to the organization where this happens?  

Now if there's questions as to how exactly a player is being developed,  then I understand the concern.  But I don't think there's anyone in the system who's in a bad position developmentally speaking right now is there?

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

This. Klimovich has had huge development already in Abbotsford at a young age. Hoglander has rebounded in a big way in Abby. Podkolzin re-found his game in Abbotsford. Silovs is developing well in Abbotsford. Even others like Bains and Nielsen have become impact players.

Plus Wolanin's been found money, to the extent that he's probably a 2nd pair PP QB (and something must've worked with Brisebois/ Juulsen/ Burroughs that they can play NHL time and not look out of place).

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

This is the first I heard of management being upset at a lack of prospects playing in Abbotsford. 

Did someone in management actually say that or is the author of the thread just assuming?

Exactly, it's the media who is outraged at the thin prospect pool.  To management, it's the hand they've been dealt and they're dealing with it.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Why?

If a player can develop on a reasonable timeline and under reasonable coaches, what difference does it make to the organization where this happens?  

Now if there's questions as to how exactly a player is being developed,  then I understand the concern.  But I don't think there's anyone in the system who's in a bad position developmentally speaking right now is there?

So true.  We're dealing with 18-20 year old kids who may or may not speak English.  It's pretty hard being thrown in the deep end of the hockey pool, living in a foreign country with no friends or family and not being confident with the language.  Young people have enough to deal with anyhow.  This is why teams are happy to have their draft picks play for a year or 2 (maybe more) in their home country.  Most European countries have a pretty good level of hockey for these kids to develop in anyhow.

The Canucks have guys like Salo in Finland and others to help prepare players for what lays ahead in the AHL and NHL

Development is as important as good drafting

Edited by Crabcakes

4 hours ago, Paul-walker said:

The management complains there are no prospects in system but we have all these players playing for different clubs overseas when they should be playing for ahl team instead and see how they play on the North American ice before saying anything. 

Pettersson playing for Swedish team koskenvuo playing in Finland and Harvard forsell playing in Sweden 

plus much more. 

I would like to see them playing at least for ahl to see what they can do and if they fail you can always send them back. 

Do you have a link to our management saying as you suggest? If not, then it’s just your opinion on our prospects laying over seas instead of here. 
I think we have a lot of good young guys. This management has found a lot of good prospects and some came here while others stayed in their home leagues to develop. Not just one path to the NHL. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

This is the first I heard of management being upset at a lack of prospects playing in Abbotsford. 

Did someone in management actually say that or is the author of the thread just assuming?

I agree never heard anything about complaining? If anything 15 months ago the said they will build a staff to develop there prospect and they have hired so many ex players and scouts to develop .. Look at at the prospect that have stepped into Canucks lineup from Abby and have done very good?

To mention a few, Wolanin LD , Juulsen RD , Brisebois LD,  Di Giuseppe W,  Aman C, Silovs G

5 hours ago, Paul-walker said:

plus much more. 

Never heard such a think? If anything 15 months ago new management said there going  to hire a staff to develop there prospects.They have hired so many ex players and new scouts and Abby is looking much better.. 

4 hours ago, mll said:

Vancouver can't just sent Pettersson to the AHL - he wasn't a 1st round pick and is subject to the updated NHL/SHL transfer agreement.  His rights are with his Swedish team till 24 unless he makes the NHL before then or they waive their rights.  

The NHL/SHL adjusted the transfer agreement back in Spring 2022 where players picked outside of the 1st round have to be returned to their Swedish teams till age 24 instead of 21.  Their SHL team can waive that right, but the SHL has long complained that their league has been watered down because players are being sent to the AHL instead of being returned to Sweden so they've now increased the age threshold.  

Damn Hogs just got grandfathered in - poor guy

6 hours ago, Paul-walker said:

plus much more. 

there is a new rule that SHL players cant come over to play in the AHL till there like 24 or something... also, I would never ask a kid to step out of college, to play in the AHL. That's just trashy.

Edited by Cup_Joneser

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Actually it's so crazy it might work!!!!!

Why don't other teams do that?????

6 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

compared to other teams our ahl is bottom of league for years and produces very little nhl talent 

11 hours ago, Paul-walker said:

plus much more. 

Yeah, sure, they complain so much, that they have our 2 legends (Sedin brothers) working closely with our prospects in Abbotsford. What a way to make up a story just to support your own attempt on starting a meaningless thread…