The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Father stabbed to death outside Vancouver Starbucks after asking man to not vape near his toddler

PhillipBlunt

I don't know what the f**k is going on with this city, but it's becoming a really foul place to be. 

A confrontation on the patio of a busy downtown Starbucks that ended with the stabbing death of a Burnaby man started when the victim asked the suspect to not vape near his toddler, said the victim’s mother.

Paul Schmidt with his three-year-old daughter, Erica.
Paul Schmidt with his three-year-old daughter, Erica.© Provided by Vancouver Sun

“This is so horribly wrong what happened,” said Kathy Schmidt, two days after her son, Paul Stanley Schmidt was stabbed in broad daylight in front of his fiancée and his three-year-old daughter and many onlookers.

“He was just trying to protect his daughter,” she said. “I’m angry and I’m sad.”

A man has been charged with second-degree murder in the killing and Schmidt said she would like the charge upped to first-degree murder, which requires proof of premeditation, to ensure a longer stay in prison if he’s convicted.

“He had a knife,” she said. “I don’t carry a knife into a coffee shop, do you?”

A memorial has been set up in remembrance of Paul Stanley Schmidt, who was stabbed to death outside the Starbucks coffee shop at West Pender Street and Granville Street.
A memorial has been set up in remembrance of Paul Stanley Schmidt, who was stabbed to death outside the Starbucks coffee shop at West Pender Street and Granville Street.© Provided by Vancouver Sun

Schmidt said her son’s fiancée, Ashley Umali, told her she was inside getting drinks while Paul and daughter Erica in a stroller waited outside the café at Granville and West Pender streets.

“It all started because he was vaping beside the baby. Ashley’s in shock, she watched the whole thing. She’s so devastated.”

“Paul was a great guy and a hard worker,” said Sean Collings, operations manager of Jiffy Move, a moving company in Burnaby where Schmidt had worked for at least five years. “He was a devoted husband and father.”

Collings said the death has hit the 200 to 300 people who work for moving companies in Metro hard because they all know one another. Movers were discussing Schmidt, who was 37, on a social media platform they belong to.

He said Schmidt worked five days a week at the physically demanding job and his was the only income supporting his family.

Paul’s website include many photos of his young family and in his intro to the page, he had written: “I love Ashley and Erica Schmidt.”

A police officer on patrol was flagged down near the café at around 5:40 p.m. on Sunday, said Vancouver Police spokesman Sgt. Steve Addison.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 10

Just now, Bell said:

The world is melting down.  Very sad for the little kid and wife watching that horrible action of a lunatic.  Hopefully the person who did the stabbing spends the rest of his days locked in a cell with a 320 lb killer who really likes men.

Or with a 300 lbs man with a small daughter who he can't see grow up.

I am sure after hearing what the guy did(killed a father in front of his young family) he wouldn't last too long. 

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Horrified when I saw this news last night. I know it's not the way our system works but this dude should never see the light of day again. Ever. 

I am skeptical about a 1st degree murder charge, but I wonder how one qualifies for dangerous offender status.  Hard to argue this was premediated, but not hard to argue someone is dangerous if they're popping off at being asked to not vape in front of a child.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I did jury duty a few years ago. I was puzzled why they went for 2nd degree murder, when it looked by the evidence it was a slam dunk. The understanding was the bar is easier to prove than 1st degree. What puzzled me more why it went to a jury trial, when it could have been done in less time just with a judge. We found him guilty. What surprised me is the judge asked the jury to determine the length of time in Jail. You could put in a range, or you could say you want the judge to decide. I voted let the judge decide.

The jury overall selected 12 years which was near maximum sentence range we were allowed.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I did jury duty a few years ago. I was puzzled why they went for 2nd degree murder, when it looked by the evidence it was a slam dunk. The understanding was the bar is easier to prove than 1st degree. What puzzled me more why it went to a jury trial, when it could have been done in less time just with a judge. We found him guilty. What surprised me is the judge asked the jury to determine the length of time in Jail. You could put in a range, or you could say you want the judge to decide. I voted let the judge decide.

The jury overall selected 12 years which was near maximum sentence range we were allowed.

Does the defendant get the pick whether he wants a jury or a judge trial?

23 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah we need to be a lot tougher on certain, particularly violent crimes.

Why just violent crimes?  What would be the harm in tightening up the consequences of pretty much any crime? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I can't begin to even express how outraged I am when I see these things.

We cannot continue to condone this senseless violence.

Exceptional acts of such cruelty and callousness require exceptional punishment for these lowlifes who perpetrate these heinous, random crimes.

As a public service, I would do exceptionally bad things to that scumbag, murdering POS...and my conscience would be clear.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, shiznak said:

What’s sad is that this guy will probably be out of jail on good behaviour in 10 years.

Exactly. Canada's justice system constantly fails its citizenry by allowing human scum like the detritus that murdered an innocent man to live freely when they should rot in a cell. Frankly, I'd be all for the death sentence, but realize how useless and dangerous the government is and don't think it should be under their jurisdiction. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1