The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Akito Hirose

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

LIVINGSTONE?!?

MORE LIKE DEAD-TO-ME-INGSTONE!!!!:mad:

Slugingston needs to improve his feet to be an NHL player. We went after the guy who’s skating is one of his best assets. The NHL is super fast. Slow guys, like Slugingston, just don’t find success anymore. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting that he’s followed Hughes, and borrowed some of his plays. That was evident in the video highlights, as he held the line while deking out opponents left and right like Hughes.

Is there any expectation that he makes the NHL next year? Or is he earmarked for ABBY?

• Like 1

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

Interesting that he’s followed Hughes, and borrowed some of his plays. That was evident in the video highlights, as he held the line while deking out opponents left and right like Hughes.

Is there any expectation that he makes the NHL next year? Or is he earmarked for ABBY?

I’m thinking he gets to compete for a spot. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

For his type of player; effectively he or Rathbone will be our 3rd pair D next year? Very few undrafted players can sign in with a 50% chance at a roster spot.  And I guess he bet on himself!  I am happy with that...

2KND pair if we move OEL on???

Based on his interview, he seems pretty happy just to get some NHL exposure so for him, it's a no lose situation

Whether he even gets a game is another matter.

I have never seen a contract like the one he got before.  I'm trying to figure out what it means.  My take is that it protects the Canucks from committing 1 of their 50 contracts to a player if he just doesn't have a chance.  If he does have a chance, the Canucks have first dibbs on negotiating a contract with him.   

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

8 hours ago, Neutral said:

tons of lefties, be a crowded AHL squad on left D, interesting competition at training camp. Wonder if we walk away from the always injured Dermott at the end of the year and let him be a ufa? Unless he takes a pay cut to a salary that can be fully buried in the AHL if he gets beat out at training camp by 1 of: Wolanin, Brisebois, Rathbone, Hirose

This article details the benifits gained from training a player, in this case a defenseman on their " off hand " 

It's a fascinating read. 

https://thesportjournal.org/article/utilizing-the-defensemans-off-hand-a-discussion-of-theory-and-an-empirical-review/

Thanks to @HighOnHockey for originally posting this in the draft thread.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've always played my off hand, both as a dman and as a fwd.  It's way more natural to me and I prefer to have the puck to the middle of the ice, rather than the boards.

I am ambidextrous, I " play" with both hands. 

Seriously it's a great article and you seem to be confirming some of the points it makes.

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

Saw a lot of Akito when he played in the BCHL for the Grape Apes. Smooth cerebral defender with great puck moving skills.

Is Grape Apes a legit name? 

I think that's my favourite team name :lol: