The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Akito Hirose

I wonder what this means for guys like Dermott and Rathbone with Wolanin and Brisebois resigning.

Obviously the more the merrier but even Abby will be stacked on LD at this rate.

I hope he gets some time with the Canucks and maybe Abby in the playoffs to see where he fits.

We trade Rathbone for a measley pick and just watch him become the next Forsling to a team who gives him a shot.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wonder what this means for guys like Dermott and Rathbone with Wolanin and Brisebois resigning.

Obviously the more the merrier but even Abby will be stacked on LD at this rate.

I hope he gets some time with the Canucks and maybe Abby in the playoffs to see where he fits.

We trade Rathbone for a measley pick and just watch him become the next Forsling to a team who gives him a shot.

Or we trade him for a measly pick, and he bounces back and forth between the AHL and the NHL.....

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

So much PTSD from a quiet Benning who ended up doing not so much, or knee-jerk bad moves. Allvin is patient, and is taking his time building a very solid foundation. I was very critical (probably just impatient), but they have a plan and they're sticking to it, with complete disregard of how it makes the fans feel in the short term, which is refreshing. 

Sometimes rash changes lead to more problems.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I like it. I gotta wonder what this means for Rathbone though. Breezer, Wolanin all knocking on the door. As well. Add in Hirose, I just don't see a fit for Rathbone. Combo him with someone else to move out cap?

It could mean that those other guys may get more than a look to play in the bigs, with Hirose shoring up Abby’s defense. 

8 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Dermott is done. He's had concussion issues this season. I don't expect the Canucks to re-sign him. He's struggled to stay healthy. I won't be surprised to see the Canucks not qualify him and let him walk as a UFA. It was a great bet last year but things haven't worked out. This management team seems like they are able to move on from their mistakes in relatively quick time (look at how they flipped Stillman).

Rathbone probably stays. He's good depth and has value. He'll require waivers next season so if he has a so/so training camp, I could see the Canucks moving him for an asset. That said, they may just try and sneak him through waivers anyways. This team needs more bodies so I don't see a world where Rathbone is given up on... although I do think Rathbone becoming the next Forsling feels more realistic then anything else.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I like it. I gotta wonder what this means for Rathbone though. Breezer, Wolanin all knocking on the door. As well. Add in Hirose, I just don't see a fit for Rathbone. Combo him with someone else to move out cap?

Probably, would be my guess. I think management will qualify / package him - is that possible or are there restrictions within a QA that prohibit this type of move?