The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the Current Canuck Defence Playoff Team Quality? (My Analysis)

Rate this topic

JamesB

How Good is the Canuck D  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As long as Demko is healthy, the Canucks can beat anybody.  The D isn't horrible, especially with Hughes and Hronek, but I think the AHL guys (Juulsen, Wolanin, Brisebois) have all played pretty well, filling in. I feel with this D core, they have been missing a #1 pairing for 10 years.  They really need to find Quinn a #1RD.  Bear is not that guy.

• Cheers 1

The God awful goaltending to start the year skewed everybody's perception of where our defense is actually at. Under Boudreau last year, they were excellent, and top 3 in ES GA... now under Tocchet and a healthy Demko, we're back to being good defensively. Anybody who thinks our defense stinks, especially with the personnel we've had to ice because of injuries (and OEL played injured all year), I honestly don't know what to tell them.

We're not defensive studs by any stretch of the imagination, but it's much better than this fanbase likes to say it is. 

That #2 point is huge! I really don't think people know what we have in Hronek simply because they're not familiar with him.

He's 25 ... his best years are ahead of him ... as are those of Hughes. His addition stabilizes our 1D and 2D ... we now need to not settle and add 3/4 ... we can survive 5/6. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

That #2 point is huge! I really don't think people know what we have in Hronek simply because they're not familiar with him.

He's 25 ... his best years are ahead of him ... as are those of Hughes. His addition stabilizes our 1D and 2D ... we now need to not settle and add 3/4 ... we can survive 5/6. 

This exactly. Any D corps with Hughes and Hronek is going to be excellent. Those two create a fantastic top four. 

• Cheers 1

We have so far maybe at best three D and the rest need upgrades.Our 7th to 9 seem decent. 

We need two solid more D men in our group if we want to get past the first round and second. 

If not then we make the playoffs and that's it.

Our forwards are looking better but still need another good center. 

Thus off-season two D and a center and we are golden.

• Cheers 1

A couple of observations....

Wolanin is signed for 2 more years

I don't think Hronek is going to be as productive with us as he was with Detroit.  Much as OEL's production tailed off when getting just the 15 - 20 secs tag ends of Hughes powerplays, I think Hronek will likewise suffer.  Ofc his defense won't be impacted, but unless Tocchet doubles him with Hughes on the 1st PP, there are going to be a lot of disappointed CDC'ers

Good analysis though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Really great post! As others have said, our goaltending just bottomed out last season. I agree it completely skewed people's perception of our D. 

Also, It'll be really interesting how our prospects slowly improve our D and guys like McWard and Hirose develop and impact our depth. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I can't really put any faith in stats that says Bear is in the upper half of the league. He's brutal. As it stands we are easily one of the worst defenses in the league. Predicting we are contenders for the Pacific is hilariously incorrect. We are no where near the level of Vegas. That statement is laughable. I like Hronek but 7th best dman in the league. I don't think so. It really depends on OEL too. Who knows what we're going to get there. Tonnes of question marks. It's almost impossible to guess what our defence will look like. We got 3 guys Hughes, Hronek, and OEL. The other 5 spots are currently up in the air in terms of what the plan going forward will be. I'd imagine there are many irons in the fire and they'll be looking for upgrades.

Edited by Gawdzukes

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I can't really put any faith in stats that says Bear is in the upper half of the league. He's brutal. As it stands we are easily one of the worst defenses in the league. Predicting we are contenders for the Pacific is hilariously incorrect. We are no where near the level of Vegas. That statement is laughable. I like Hronek but 7th best dman in the league. I don't think so. It really depends on OEL too. Who knows what we're going to get there. Tonnes of question marks. It's almost impossible guess what our defence will look like. We got 3 guys Hughes, Hronek, and OEL. The other 5 spots are currently up in the air in terms of what the plan going forward will be. I'd imagine there are many irons in the fire and they'll be looking for upgrades.

Wrong again. We have one of the best D men in the league with Hughes. We added another elite D man in Hronek.

OEL was trying to play on an injured foot. Our D, with the structure of proper coaching, will be top 10 for sure, and likely higher. 
Hughes, Bear

OEL, Hronek

Bone, Myers

Woo

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wrong again. We have one of the best D men in the league with Hughes. We added another elite D man in Hronek.

OEL was trying to play on an injured foot. Our D, with the structure of proper coaching, will be top 10 for sure, and likely higher. 
Hughes, Bear

OEL, Hronek

Bone, Myers

Woo

Bear. Myers, and Bone :sick:

50% suckage = bottom of the league

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes, Bear

OEL, Hronek

Bone, Myers

Woo

Put Woolanin with Myers

Woo/Burroughs fight it out in camp for #7...

Edited by Chicken.
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I can't really put any faith in stats that says Bear is in the upper half of the league. He's brutal. As it stands we are easily one of the worst defenses in the league. Predicting we are contenders for the Pacific is hilariously incorrect. We are no where near the level of Vegas. That statement is laughable. I like Hronek but 7th best dman in the league. I don't think so. It really depends on OEL too. Who knows what we're going to get there. Tonnes of question marks. It's almost impossible to guess what our defence will look like. We got 3 guys Hughes, Hronek, and OEL. The other 5 spots are currently up in the air in terms of what the plan going forward will be. I'd imagine there are many irons in the fire and they'll be looking for upgrades.

We could be in for some wild swings from management this off-season. I hope so. Easier if cap goes up a bit more. 
Just please not with the 11th OA or some poorly conceived UFA signing. 

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

We could be in for some wild swings from management this off-season. I hope so. Easier if cap goes up a bit more. 

We have competent management again. Benning is gone. We already made our big acquisition with Hronek. He will anchor our second pairing. We will pick at 11 and get a great prospect. 

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Yeah. Indeed, I can't see the management group leaving things they way they are. They've said themselves how poor the group is and their disappointment at not upgrading it. They will be retooling at all costs. Well hopefully not the 11th overall but I agree our 2024 first is as good as gone, just a matter of when. I heard the cap situation won't be known for a month but I'm not sure it will go up. The players union needs to give up a lot of money for that to happen. Hopefully though.

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We have competent management again. Benning is gone. We already made our big acquisition with Hronek. He will anchor our second pairing. We will pick at 11 and get a great prospect. 

One addition is not enough to fix this team. 
Still have the big problem of OEL and Myers taking minutes on “D”.

Wingers still too small and not overly quick. 
Still only 2 natural centres on the NHL club. 
Lots of work to be done yet, don’t let one shiny bauble fool you. We added a great shiny bauble in Kuz last year and still got worse. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Bear. Myers, and Bone :sick:

50% suckage = bottom of the league

If they’re serious about being a playoff team they need at least two top 6 D (probably three) and they need to jettison Myers.

Theres no way a Hughes/Bear pairing is the answer.

Hughes UFA/Trade

OEL Hronek

Gavrikov UFA

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

When the team has struggled over the last two tears they look very disorganized as a whole. There is just an unusual amount players playing bad or not up to potential. 

So the systems need to be sorted out first before proper player evaluation can be determined. 

I personally believe that if that is fixed then we may see a better OEL, Myers, boeser and Garland. That said there is also a personal problem. There is not enough a**holes on this team. Or maybe none. 

We have a pushover team. 

Hard to evaluate a d core when your goaltending socks, team structure is bad on you have a bunch pansies on your team. That's why guys like Burroughs and JT are important to this team. 

Team structure

Grit and a**holes

Then let's move forward from there. 

• Cheers 1