The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Hortons at 3433 North Road in Burnaby: Interwest Restaurants trespassing multiple customers after complaints to Fraser Health; inspection reveals poor sanitation

Nucklehead22

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 2:50 PM, Playoff Beered said:

I look forward to the article from the Burnaby Bulletin explaining all the intricate reasons people refuse help:rolleyes: 

People do refuse help though, and what can you even do about it? Can't force em into it and that would be cruel.

On 4/12/2023 at 11:00 AM, Warhippy said:

You can not help people who refuse to accept help or change.

Unfortunately the calls to reopen places like Riverview are growing louder and this leads us down a road towards the return of forced institutionalization.

For those of you who don't know what that means, it is a simple thing in which people deemed unfit to exist in the real world due to mental health and addiction issues or mental health issues caused by addiction who refuse to go to or accept treatment would be forced in to institutions for around the clock care as they are a danger to themselves and society.

Why this is an issue, regardless of how altruistic the motives are is that it inevitably devolves in to abuse and neglect as these people will also fight and refuse treatment in these centres.  Staff will grow overworked and callous and eventually the abuse will start, moderate at first then systemic towards the end.

Without that intervention, this problem will only grow due to the factors contributing to addiction and mental health.  But warehousing people against their will for their own safety is not a solution; it is only hiding the problem.  

We need a reset from the top down to fix the issues causing this.

That's actually a very concise and accurate description of what will/does happen. 

My close friend is a psych nurse and has been assaulted at work way too many times. 

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That's actually a very concise and accurate description of what will/does happen. 

My close friend is a psych nurse and has been assaulted at work way too many times. 

There need to be more safety precautions in place for our health care providers.

@Odd. 

"Apparently she’s a fraud and a major nut case. Her family members have called her a pathological liar? Can’t remember."

@NewbieCanuckFan

"A compromise would've been for the person(s) to go to another establishment(s) on some days & at Timmies on other days."

Probably why Timmie's isn't doing much to make the homeless woman leave because if she starts acting out then it puts the staff's safety at risk.

Edited by Nucklehead22

I checked the google reviews on this timmies last month and there were about 5 addressing the issue of all the homeless people they allow there and they removed all but one :lol: trying to hide what goes on inside of a restaurant is a bad bad look

Edited by Nucklehead22

This is an only in Vancouver kind of situation where people want homeless folks hanging around in their restaurants.  
Maybe I’m heartless, but where I come from, we don’t want homeless people living in our dining establishments. 
Why the hell is it Timmy’s job to house this woman?  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

This is an only in Vancouver kind of situation where people want homeless folks hanging around in their restaurants.  
Maybe I’m heartless, but where I come from, we don’t want homeless people living in our dining establishments. 

Look at the Macdonald's on the south end of Georgia. Last time we were down that way there were 3 people in there who had obvious mental and drug problems. Regular problem from what I could see. 

5 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Nah, this seems to be a 'only the Tim Hortons at 3433 North Road' situation, because no other Tim Hortons I've been to has ever allowed homeless people to congregate inside, let alone from opening until close like they seem to allow them to do there. Any other location I've always seen staff ask homeless people to leave. Heck, I was even asked to leave a Timmie's once because I spent too long there doing school work (3 hours) and customers needed my seat, and I happily obliged. So something bizarre is going on at this location and why they think this is acceptable is mind boggling. I looked up the franchise ownership of the location and its Interwest Restaurants owner/operator Amanda Kerr. Can't find anything on 'em though.

A lot of the times if a homeless person isn't bothering someone then staff maybe sees no point in asking them to leave, but they're still a liability because at any given time they can cause issues. They're also not paying customers, and take up seats that paying customers could be using.

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Look at the Macdonald's on the south end of Georgia. Last time we were down that way there were 3 people in there who had obvious mental and drug problems. Regular problem from what I could see. 

Main and Terminal McDonald's is real bad too.

• Nucklehead22 changed the title to Homelessness Congregating Inside Coffee Shops
On 4/30/2023 at 10:44 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

For sure it's what WILL happen.

I just like to dream about what SHOULD of COULD happen. Because what were doing right now ain't working for anyone.

Every time I come back to this forum, I'm surprised that this topic is still open....and even more surprised when there are new comments....

If Tim Hortons wants to get rid of people, they should give them a free cup of their regular coffee.....:sick:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Every time I come back to this forum, I'm surprised that this topic is still open....and even more surprised when there are new comments....

If Tim Hortons wants to get rid of people, they should give them a free cup of their regular coffee.....:sick:

Not to mention the OP starting multiple new threads on the same topic, all using the same dodgy source.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Make sure to refuse putting cream and sugar in the coffee. Double doubles are more like milkshakes after all while having their coffee black really exposes how bad the coffee actually is underneath those double doubles. :P

On 5/3/2023 at 10:49 AM, ronthecivil said:

For sure it's what WILL happen.

I just like to dream about what SHOULD of COULD happen. Because what were doing right now ain't working for anyone.

People don't seem to understand that all of what SHOULD or COULD happen requires copious amounts of FUNDING from local governments. Funding them seem to want to pour into other initiatives.

On 5/5/2023 at 9:05 AM, Nucklehead22 said:

People don't seem to understand that all of what SHOULD or COULD happen requires copious amounts of FUNDING from local governments. Funding them seem to want to pour into other initiatives.

While this is true, consider also the fact that if someone who needs mental help has someone who can actually help him mentally show up rather than a cop... that's one less call for the cop. That's less money that has to go to fixing damages caused by that person if that person actually gets help.

So the funding needs to happen at first, but the savings from that funding are likely to outweigh that initial cost. It's just that governments and people are often too afraid of change and focus too much on debating if it would work or not and then not getting anything done about it as a result. Yet, it's already been proven to help in places around the world where's itls been implemented. Denver is a good example of this.

Here's even literally the 1st link I saw on Google to back me up: https://www.futurity.org/mental-health-police-911-2750812-2/#:~:text=New research uncovers the strongest,enforcement in nonviolent 911 emergencies

When literally the states are even ahead of us on this.... that doesn't happen often. lol

Edited by The Lock