The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Hortons at 3433 North Road in Burnaby: Interwest Restaurants trespassing multiple customers after complaints to Fraser Health; inspection reveals poor sanitation

Nucklehead22

2017, my dad is in Vancouver General ICU for 2 1/2 months. While staying down there, Mom, Aunt, and I would occasionally go to the Tim Hortons on Broadway just across from our hotel.

Homeless folk were frequently in the store, but I never saw any problems.

When we asked the supervisor 'what's up with that?' he replied " As long as they cause no trouble, it is safer for them here, than in that alley'.

A lack of immediate help, for those that want it, and a lack of help and plans, for those that don't, are the real issue here.

TLDR- Horton's being occupied is a symptom of a problem, not the actual problem.

12 hours ago, Gurn said:

2017, my dad is in Vancouver General ICU for 2 1/2 months. While staying down there, Mom, Aunt, and I would occasionally go to the Tim Hortons on Broadway just across from our hotel.

When we asked the supervisor 'what's up with that?' he replied " As long as they cause no trouble, it is safer for them here, than in that alley'.

A lack of immediate help, for those that want it, and a lack of help and plans, for those that don't, are the real issue here.

TLDR- Horton's being occupied is a symptom of a problem, not the actual problem.

Couldn't agree more

• Cheers 1

On 5/4/2023 at 12:59 PM, The Lock said:

Make sure to refuse putting cream and sugar in the coffee. Double doubles are more like milkshakes after all while having their coffee black really exposes how bad the coffee actually is underneath those double doubles. :P

I had a good 3 year run two decades ago of getting a double double each morning.  As soon as I stopped for a month, I couldn't come back.  Tastes awful now.  

Timmys also used to have awesome sandwiches back in the early 2000s. 

17 hours ago, The Lock said:

While this is true, consider also the fact that if someone who needs mental help has someone who can actually help him mentally show up rather than a cop... that's one less call for the cop. That's less money that has to go to fixing damages caused by that person if that person actually gets help.

So the funding needs to happen at first, but the savings from that funding are likely to outweigh that initial cost. It's just that governments and people are often too afraid of change and focus too much on debating if it would work or not and then not getting anything done about it as a result. Yet, it's already been proven to help in places around the world where's itls been implemented. Denver is a good example of this.

Here's even literally the 1st link I saw on Google to back me up: https://www.futurity.org/mental-health-police-911-2750812-2/#:~:text=New research uncovers the strongest,enforcement in nonviolent 911 emergencies

When literally the states are even ahead of us on this.... that doesn't happen often. lol

That's an interesting pilot study that they ran.  They say that minor crimes fell by 34%, which isn't a surprise at all since police weren't responding to non-violent calls.  

We actually have people on the street in Vancouver who respond to some medical emergencies.  They're essentially paramedics on bicycles and I see them all the time around downtown Eastside.  

I am more interested in cutting down homeless numbers as opposed to learning to live with them.  On the subject of Denver...  

https://commonsenseinstituteco.org/homelessness-in-denver/#:~:text=Over the last 5 years,over 4%2C000 people in 2021.

• Over the last 5 years, Denver’s homeless population has risen by almost 44%—nearly 12 times faster than the city’s total population growth between 2016 and 2021. The total population in Denver actually declined by over 4,000 people in 2021.

On 5/6/2023 at 10:07 AM, The Lock said:

While this is true, consider also the fact that if someone who needs mental help has someone who can actually help him mentally show up rather than a cop... that's one less call for the cop. That's less money that has to go to fixing damages caused by that person if that person actually gets help.

So the funding needs to happen at first, but the savings from that funding are likely to outweigh that initial cost. It's just that governments and people are often too afraid of change and focus too much on debating if it would work or not and then not getting anything done about it as a result. Yet, it's already been proven to help in places around the world where's itls been implemented. Denver is a good example of this.

Here's even literally the 1st link I saw on Google to back me up: https://www.futurity.org/mental-health-police-911-2750812-2/#:~:text=New research uncovers the strongest,enforcement in nonviolent 911 emergencies

When literally the states are even ahead of us on this.... that doesn't happen often. lol

The Denver approach for first contact looks good. It's not like the paramedic couldn't radio a cop if it looked hairy.

That would be step one. If the person that is suffering an OD thinks that it's a bit of a wake up call, and wants to voluntarily enter treatment, that would be step two.

It's certainly not a "radical" approach as much as it's a "much smarter, so I suppose that confuses people" kind of approach.

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2023 at 12:23 PM, ronthecivil said:

The Denver approach for first contact looks good. It's not like the paramedic couldn't radio a cop if it looked hairy.

That would be step one. If the person that is suffering an OD thinks that it's a bit of a wake up call, and wants to voluntarily enter treatment, that would be step two.

It's certainly not a "radical" approach as much as it's a "much smarter, so I suppose that confuses people" kind of approach.

Sometimes even an OD isn't a "Wake up" call though

• Nucklehead22 changed the title to Homelessness Congregating Inside Tim Hortons at 3433 North Road in Burnaby
  • 2 weeks later...

Updated:

In a follow-up to our recent coverage, concerns are escalating about the welfare (as well as the intentions) of Cindy Hicks - the homeless woman who has, according to patrons, taken up residence at a Tim Hortons in Burnaby. Now, customers of the restaurant, located at 3433 North Road, seem to be locked in a silent struggle, hesitant to approach management for fear of repercussions - this after the consequences of voicing such concerns became all too real for one unfortunate customer after they were issued what they call an "unwarranted" trespass notice for reaching out to management about the issue - something that has left many others feeling threatened and silenced.

One sympathetic customer recently purchased a bouquet of flowers for Cindy. The intention, they say, was "to bring a moment of joy and beauty into her difficult circumstances." However, the flowers were left behind at the restaurant and have been sitting there untouched for the last 4 days. The customer, who wished to remain anonymous, said that this has now caused them to reevaluate their perception of Hicks, telling us, "I thought I was doing something kind, something to brighten her day. But when I realized she just left the flowers there, it was a bit of a wake-up call for me. Something as simple as flowers, and she doesn't even have the decency to keep them or take them with her? It's astonishing."

The photo, taken at the scene, shows the flowers still sitting near the window with a Tim Hortons cup being used as a vase.

Intriguingly, we've received more reports from other customers who have gone out of their way to buy food for Hicks, only to watch in disbelief as she discarded their goodwill gestures directly into the trash bin; with one dismayed customer, who also asked to remain unidentified, voiced their disappointment, "If she has no need for it, that's acceptable, but perhaps it would be more respectful to decline the offering or return it? Disposing of it so carelessly feels extraordinarily dismissive."

However, the concern now extends beyond forgotten bouquets or tossed out food, with many customers expressing bafflement at why Tim Hortons management continues to allow this situation to persist. 

Despite the mixed feelings among patrons, one thing is becoming increasingly clear: This is no longer simply about a homeless woman seeking refuge in a coffee shop. The situation is turning into a steady corrosion of the trust patrons have placed in their local Tim Hortons, as well as a loosening of their wallets in their encounters with Hicks.

"She [Hicks] is using her charm to create a facade, playing on people's sympathies. It feels like we're being fooled into supporting her, not out of genuine need, but rather a clever manipulation of our kindness," says one patron. While another, a middle-aged woman who frequents the café every morning for her daily cup of joe, also voiced her concerns, says, "I'm at a loss as to why they [Tim Hortons] are allowing this to continue. They're not aiding her by permitting her to occupy a seat here, essentially benefiting from the generosity of well-meaning individuals."

https://bbybulletin.ca/f/homeless-womans-unending-saga-at-tim-hortons-sparks-new-concerns

Could contain: Plant, Potted Plant, Tree, Cookware, Pot, Path, Person, Road, Tarmac, Planter

On 5/7/2023 at 4:16 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

That's an interesting pilot study that they ran.  They say that minor crimes fell by 34%, which isn't a surprise at all since police weren't responding to non-violent calls.  

We actually have people on the street in Vancouver who respond to some medical emergencies.  They're essentially paramedics on bicycles and I see them all the time around downtown Eastside.  

I am more interested in cutting down homeless numbers as opposed to learning to live with them.  On the subject of Denver...  

https://commonsenseinstituteco.org/homelessness-in-denver/#:~:text=Over the last 5 years,over 4%2C000 people in 2021.

• Over the last 5 years, Denver’s homeless population has risen by almost 44%—nearly 12 times faster than the city’s total population growth between 2016 and 2021. The total population in Denver actually declined by over 4,000 people in 2021.

This will never happen bruh

Man, I wish we knew who was the beat writer for the Burnaby Bulletin Blog.  I mean, if only there was some way to find out who.  Maybe we'd know more about this if we just had a hint.

It's a mystery for sure

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

What going on in this thread?

If you dont like how a place operates their business, dont shop there.

Personally I dont mind a place giving some relief to someone down on their luck.

Also, sidenote...Tim's products are F'ing disgusting. Go find a nice locally owned business. Support a mom and pop shop and treat yourself to nicer coffee etc.

• Cheers 1

I'm wondering just where a homeless person is supposed to leave the flowers they were given?

Perhaps on the mantle place at home.... ohh wait a minute.

Will note that the OP has posted nothing anywhere else, except in the two threads they started on this topic.

almost like they are using these threads for some sort of commercial/promotional, money making process.

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

I'm wondering just where a homeless person is supposed to leave the flowers they were given?

Perhaps on the mantle place at home.... ohh wait a minute.

Will note that the OP has posted nothing anywhere else, except in the two threads they started on this topic.

almost like they are using these threads for some sort of commercial/promotional, money making process.

In a kind of twisted way, you have to admire his determination....

How many threads of his have been shut down? :lol:

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Also, sidenote...Tim's products are F'ing disgusting. Go find a nice locally owned business. Support a mom and pop shop and treat yourself to nicer coffee etc.

Tim's has a lot of customers and makes a lot of profits so I'd say the majority of folks here would disagree with you on that. Plus you didn't actually give any of us suggestions on so-called "nicer coffee"

Edited by Nucklehead22
  • Wat 1

On 5/6/2023 at 11:32 AM, Gurn said:

It's a lack of resources and places for people to go and get help. Some really want it, but homeless shelters etc don't have near enough room and the homeless population in BC certainly goes far in excess of what shelters can even offer

Government needs to do more and improve funding

Edited by Nucklehead22

On 5/6/2023 at 10:07 AM, The Lock said:

The states is in shambles what are you talking about

58 minutes ago, Nucklehead22 said:

Tim's has a lot of customers and makes a lot of profits so I'd say the majority of folks here would disagree with you on that. Plus you didn't actually give any of us suggestions on so-called "nicer coffee"

By that logic Mcdonald's is the best place to eat. Also, dont talk for the majority of folks on here, I like to think a lot of CDC has taste.

I did give you suggestions, two of them.

1) dont support a business that operates in a fashion that you dont like.

2) Find a mom and pop coffee shop. I dont need to be specific, try any. In my experience 95% of them have better products than Timmies. Even on the off chance that they don't, you can find comfort and pride in the fact that you have supported local.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nucklehead22 said:

McDonald's for one....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

By that logic Mcdonald's is the best place to eat. Also, dont talk for the majority of folks on here, I like to think a lot of CDC has taste.

I did give you suggestions, two of them.

1) dont support a business that operates in a fashion that you dont like.

2) Find a mom and pop coffee shop. I dont need to be specific, try any. In my experience 95% of them have better products than Timmies. Even on the off chance that they don't, you can find comfort and pride in the fact that you have supported local.

Yep. I have a Tim's within walking distance of where I work, but I buy my coffee at an Internet cafe around the corner, run by a local Vietnamese family.

Both the French Roast and West Coast Roast are worth the extra dollar or so.....

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. I have a Tim's within walking distance of where I work, but I buy my coffee at an Internet cafe around the corner, run by a local Vietnamese family.

Both the French Roast and West Coast Roast are worth the extra dollar or so.....

For sure. So many reasons to support local.

When I lived DT Van. I would go to a small coffee / first nations art shop daily. Talking with Daryl the owner operator was always a treat and his products/coffee were tasty. A Tim's came in across the street at the gas station. Daryl eventually went out of business. I would be hard pressed to find anyone that thought Tims was better coffee than his but, it was convenient and for some daft reason people still hold on to the idea that Tim's represents Canadiana, like its part of our culture. It's sad.

• Sad 1