The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Hortons at 3433 North Road in Burnaby: Interwest Restaurants trespassing multiple customers after complaints to Fraser Health; inspection reveals poor sanitation

Nucklehead22

30 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

For sure. So many reasons to support local.

When I lived DT Van. I would go to a small coffee / first nations art shop daily. Talking with Daryl the owner operator was always a treat and his products/coffee were tasty. A Tim's came in across the street at the gas station. Daryl eventually went out of business. I would be hard pressed to find anyone that thought Tims was better coffee than his but, it was convenient and for some daft reason people still hold on to the idea that Tim's represents Canadiana, like its part of our culture. It's sad.

Its astounding to me how busy Tims is whenever I pass by… a 15 car drive thru for that crap coffee or food? Not a chance for me.

As much as we dislike em, they are doing something very right with their marketing and able to capitalize on nostalgia  

• Cheers 1

Iirc Tim's is now owned by a Brazilian based company.

I don't like their coffee.

their donuts suck, since they went to shipping frozen product and just baking them in store.

Liked the corn bread that came with the chilli, even then the chilli was just ok.

12 minutes ago, Gurn said:

their donuts suck, since they went to shipping frozen product and just baking them in store.

Liked the corn bread that came with the chilli, even then the chilli was just ok.

Yes sadly the quality went sharply downhill after the Burger King takeover...

3G Capital: A look at the firm behind the Burger King-Tim Hortons deal | CTV News 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

McDonald's for one....

I loled. McDonalds coffee tastes like gasoline compared to Tims.

6 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

For sure. So many reasons to support local.

When I lived DT Van. I would go to a small coffee / first nations art shop daily. Talking with Daryl the owner operator was always a treat and his products/coffee were tasty. A Tim's came in across the street at the gas station. Daryl eventually went out of business. I would be hard pressed to find anyone that thought Tims was better coffee than his but, it was convenient and for some daft reason people still hold on to the idea that Tim's represents Canadiana, like its part of our culture. It's sad.

Seeing small businesses suffer like this is so sad. I do like the little hidden gem coffee shops. Much friendlier atmosphere, I find.

5 hours ago, Gurn said:

Aren't they owned by Restaurant Brands International? That's North American-based I thought, USA and Canada.

Edited by Nucklehead22

18 hours ago, Nucklehead22 said:

The states is in shambles what are you talking about

Reading your other replies to people in this thread, it seems like you are intent on creating stereotypes. How would you like it someone looked at the rural Alberta and then immediately thought Vancouver was in shambles, because that's exactly what you're doing here but just with the states.

Parts of the states are having problems and those problems are going to vary from one part of the country to the other. That does not mean that ALL of the states are having those same problems. Consider that Denver is actually a more left part of the states that's less likely to be in shambles. I literally even provided a link of proof of what they are doing in the post you replied to.

10 hours ago, Nucklehead22 said:

I loled. McDonalds coffee tastes like gasoline compared to Tims.

Ever since I switched to drinking black coffee, it's made me realise how bad Tims coffee is. The funny thing is McDonald's in Canada gets its supply from Mother Parker, which used to supply Tims coffee and, ironically enough, since McDonald's had moved to that supplier, the coffee's been much MUCH better than Tims.

Tims USED to have good coffee.

Although if most people order double doubles, they wouldn't notice anyway because that's hardly coffee anymore given how much cream and sugar's put into that. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Ever since I switched to drinking black coffee, it's made me realise how bad Tims coffee is. The funny thing is McDonald's in Canada gets its supply from Mother Parker, which used to supply Tims coffee and, ironically enough, since McDonald's had moved to that supplier, the coffee's been much MUCH better than Tims.

Although if most people order double doubles, they wouldn't notice anyway because that's hardly coffee anymore given how much cream and sugar's put into that. lol

If Timmy's is bad where does that leave Starbucks? :wacko: I hate the stuff. Timmy's I'll drink in a pinch but I agree that Macdonald's is far superior. Someone said try the local shops which I do. Some are very good. Some leave their pots on all day. 

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I used to drink McD's coffee all the time and then started getting used to Timmies and haven't gone back, but I guess the cream and sugar would certainly mask the taste somewhat so I get what you're saying.

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If Timmy's is bad where does that leave Starbucks? :wacko: I hate the stuff. Timmy's I'll drink in a pinch but I agree that Macdonald's is far superior. Someone said try the local shops which I do. Some are very good. Some leave their pots on all day. 

Expensive. :gocan:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

That was me.

I should apologise for dissing people's taste. The quality of the product is not what the thread was intended for. From what I can see it is a campaign to garner a bad opinion of a homeless women.

Thanks for supporting local whan you can. I think/hope more people should do that as much as possible and turn away from big corps. Stop buying from Amazon, shop local, support Canadian products etc... 

21 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I was going to say I haven't tried Starbucks since I switched to black, but I do recall trying it once during a trip. It was okay-ish if I remember correctly. I just generally don't go there to begin with, probably because it's a 20 minute drive to the nearest one for me so I never felt the need. When I do go there, usually it's for a frappuccino  lol

Perhaps that changes when I move to Calgary although I tend to prefer to give local places 1st dibs on my service provided they don't charge and arm and a leg.

One thing I will say is, ever since I switched to black, I feel like I've developed a further appreciation for good coffee, because it's like a unicorn in the fast food industry. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

What's the key reason people go to a Timmy's? Is it to sit down and drink a morning Cup with friends. Is it just to grab a quick coffee? Why don't people just make their coffee at home?

I make it in a percolator every morning, Alf. It's delicious. Haven't disgraced my guts with Tim Horton's coffee in years. 

21 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. I have a Tim's within walking distance of where I work, but I buy my coffee at an Internet cafe around the corner, run by a local Vietnamese family.

Both the French Roast and West Coast Roast are worth the extra dollar or so.....

Viet subs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *ANYTHING* made by Subway.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

What's the key reason people go to a Timmy's? Is it to sit down and drink a morning Cup with friends. Is it just to grab a quick coffee? Why don't people just make their coffee at home?

Lots of people do just that. Several years ago, when I lived downtown, there was a section of the local Tim's that was always full of the local Vietnamese fishing crews and their families. 10:00 am, every day.

Now that I live on the outskirts and much closer to the Arches, I see a lot of the same guys congregate there on weekend mornings....It's very much a social gathering thing.

Like @The Lock I take my coffee black. (Have for about 40 years now) I can definitely tell the difference between Tims and McDonalds and for me McDonalds is better. That being said, the latest incarnation (the third try, IIRC) of Tim's Dark Roast is far better than their regular stuff.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Lots of people do just that. Several years ago, when I lived downtown, there was a section of the local Tim's that was always full of the local Vietnamese fishing crews and their families. 10:00 am, every day.

Now that I live on the outskirts and much closer to the Arches, I see a lot of the same guys congregate there on weekend mornings....It's very much a social gathering thing.

Like @The Lock I take my coffee black. (Have for about 40 years now) I can definitely tell the difference between Tims and McDonalds and for me McDonalds is better. That being said, the latest incarnation (the third try, IIRC) of Tim's Dark Roast is far better than their regular stuff.

I have to agree regarding the dark roast at Tim's actually. It's still not as good as McD's, but it's better than their regular. Still, I just don't go there enough to remember that it's an option. lol

• Cheers 1

Tim’s coffee is gross. Same for their donuts and sandwiches and whatever else. It’s popular because they’re everywhere, it’s cheap, and they’ve done a masterful job in tying in their brand with Canadian nationalism, so now idiots think drinking Tim Hortons is patriotic. If you like Tims that’s fine, but it is annoying when people treat subpar fast food as a source of Canadian pride.

I don’t mind their tea though.

• There it is 3