The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nikolay Goldobin eyeing NHL return

9 hours ago, VanCan2023 said:

Had sooooo much talent, but nooooo heart or desire. Similar to Virtanan, happy seeing that 10+million already in there bank accounts, knowing full well that is more then enough money to give them a glamours life. 

Oilers gave Jake a tryout at last years camp, if another does the same for Goldy it will be the same result. Unfortunately for the millions of young adults and kid hockey players struggling around the world that could only wish for half there talent and just one of the many chances they had is a kick in the teeth. 

Tryamkin says come back and join the party......

I hear you, but I wouldn't compare Goldy to Jake. Way different scenarios. Pretty sure some team will give Goldy a chance and see if he's matured. 

I remember when the Canucks acquired Goldy, one of his major concerns was how to get his Lamborghini up to Vancouver from San Jose. I laughed at first thinking that was hilarious, but watching Goldy's instagram, his very casual (and looks a lot like lackadaisical play) behaviour on the ice, and his preoccupation with style and flare...he seems more driven by the lifestyle of being a hockey player - not so much the drive to win.

He is a likeable character, but I don't imagine that can suffice. He needs drive and desire, which lacks in his game and its not hard to see that. When he goes into corners, in the defensive zone, and how he tracks in the neutral zone, he knows what he needs to do, but just doesn't do it. Goldy would show a lot of his offseason training on instagram, and a lot of the drills he does doesn't require a lot of effort - just shooting pucks and little dipsy doodle deke drills that look pretty on a video but not usually replicated in game situations. He does a lot of stationary drills and doesn't move his feet much even in the drills that require more skating engagement.

I think he has game breaking skill - said the same sentiment when he was with us, but the lack of drive and desire doesn't allow him to show it on a consistent basis. he has had several NHL and AHL coaches in his ear about improving his work ethic and work habits, but it doesn't appear to have sunken in for him.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

why don't we just bring back all the players who couldn't crack this roster back. 

Juolevi? Why not. 

Virtanen? Let's gooooo

Goldy! YEAH! 

Shocked Vince Mcmahon GIF

Add Jordan Shroeder, Nicklas Jensen, Hunter Shinkaruk, Brendan Gaunce, and Dane Fox. 

Hell why not give Burmistrov another go. Or Pouliot, or the one and only Tom Sestito.

19 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

One of these days, Artem Chubarov will return to the Canucks...

...to pick up his car. 

:bigblush:

Chubarov was actually a solid 4th liner. That leaving his car behind was funny :) 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I remember when the Canucks acquired Goldy, one of his major concerns was how to get his Lamborghini up to Vancouver from San Jose. I laughed at first thinking that was hilarious, but watching Goldy's instagram, his very casual (and looks a lot like lackadaisical play) behaviour on the ice, and his preoccupation with style and flare...he seems more driven by the lifestyle of being a hockey player - not so much the drive to win.

He is a likeable character, but I don't imagine that can suffice. He needs drive and desire, which lacks in his game and its not hard to see that. When he goes into corners, in the defensive zone, and how he tracks in the neutral zone, he knows what he needs to do, but just doesn't do it. Goldy would show a lot of his offseason training on instagram, and a lot of the drills he does doesn't require a lot of effort - just shooting pucks and little dipsy doodle deke drills that look pretty on a video but not usually replicated in game situations. He does a lot of stationary drills and doesn't move his feet much even in the drills that require more skating engagement.

I think he has game breaking skill - said the same sentiment when he was with us, but the lack of drive and desire doesn't allow him to show it on a consistent basis. he has had several NHL and AHL coaches in his ear about improving his work ethic and work habits, but it doesn't appear to have sunken in for him.

I mean at age 27, he's running out of time. this is either his last shot in the league, or he just doesn't cut it. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Slegr said:

So soft, a floater. Put him in the second round of these playoffs on any team, and he’d be invisible or squished to an end board. No thank you.

Don't worry, we're not making it to the 2nd round next year.

Goldy to Van confirmed. 

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2023 at 9:26 PM, McBackup said:

Lol wtf is this video? 

A russian mob promotional video.   Join us for a skate and a boat ride - next up, show you where the drop bags are and how to properly "collect" from folks who are late on their payments. 

• Haha 2

Goldobin is a player that brings very little outside of puck skill and offense. And he isn't elite in those category. He is a good kid, did put in the hard work but just wasn't enough. He is the definition of top-6 or bust.

Goldy is so "meh". He had some skill and upside but even playing with good linemates against weak competition he was a slighly below average offensive player who was a libability defensively and had no intangibles (size, toughness etc). I could see a team like Arizona throwing him on the second line as a cheap $800K option to see if there is any untapped upside otherwise I don't see a place for him in the NHL. 

Could contain: Boy, Male, Person, Teen, Text, Face, Head

Edited by canucklehead44