The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jonathan Lekkerimäki

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

You're just assuming they're not going to care. All you have to do is think why they would care to realise how little merit what you're saying has.

Will the team he's on want to win games? Yes, what team doesn't?

Will his development throughout the season help them win games? Yes.

Does developing prospects well give the team more goodwill towards the NHL? Also yes.

So to say they won't "give two sh!ts" about his development doesn't really make much sense. Of course they're going to care. If a team doesn't care like that... they have bigger problems than just development.

So you think they're going to spend time and resources on a 19 year old who is only going to be there for one year?  Why would they?  Most likely he'll spend the bulk of the year in the press box.  The SHL isn't a development league like the A is.

• Haha 1

Just now, stawns said:

So you think they're going to spend time and resources on a 19 year old who is only going to be there for one year?  Why would they?  Most likely he'll spend the bulk of the year in the press box.  The SHL isn't a development league like the A is.

Yes, I do. I don't see why they wouldn't spend time and resources for the reasons I mentioned.

Now I'm not saying him coming over here wouldn't be beneficial at all. I think it's just more a question of whether or not it would be more beneficial, which obviously is the debate here. Honestly, I don't think anyone's going to know that answer.

Just now, The Lock said:

Yes, I do. I don't see why they wouldn't spend time and resources for the reasons I mentioned.

Now I'm not saying him coming over here wouldn't be beneficial at all. I think it's just more a question of whether or not it would be more beneficial, which obviously is the debate here. Honestly, I don't think anyone's going to know that answer.

Because teenagers get very little playing time and have very little impact in the SHL.  They're not going to invest in his development when he won't be around for them to see the results of that investment 

• Haha 1

Just now, stawns said:

Because teenagers get very little playing time and have very little impact in the SHL.  They're not going to invest in his development when he won't be around for them to see the results of that investment 

Again, these are just assumptions. Can you provide examples of this happening?

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Elias Pettersson

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I agree. Nineteen year-olds in the SHL don't get a lot of ice time and statistically, the 19 year-old cohort is pretty much a wasteland. I looked at every SHL roster for outstanding 19 year-olds.

The best put up 10 points. The top five were: 

Sjoholm from Jonkoping - 2G8A, Stromgren from Brynas - 3G5A, Stjernborg from Vaxjo - 1G7A; Robertsson from Skelleftea - 5G2A, and Sjodin from Angleholm 1G6A.

I can't see a scenario where Lekkermaki gets quality opportunities in a league that doesn't give opportunities to its younger players. 

This is pure shattalk… Just look at what Petey got pointwise when he played as a youngster.

The younger Petey played pretty much also.

It’s about how good the 19 years old are.

Lekkerimäki played almost every time Djurgården wanted to get a goal against Modo.

That quality doesn’t just disappear when he gets into SHL. Especially since he develops a lot. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, stawns said:

SHL teams don't give two sh!ts about his development because he's only going to be there for a year.  I'd rather have him learning the system, adjusting to the ice size, building chemistry with other prospects and getting the full development experience in Abby asap

It certainly hurt Petey spending a year in the SHL. How about D-Petey? There's no reason to rush him after the tough season he had.

5 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I agree. Nineteen year-olds in the SHL don't get a lot of ice time and statistically, the 19 year-old cohort is pretty much a wasteland. I looked at every SHL roster for outstanding 19 year-olds.

The best put up 10 points. The top five were: 

c from Jonkoping - 2G8A, Stromgren from Brynas - 3G5A, Stjernborg from Vaxjo - 1G7A; Robertsson from Skelleftea - 5G2A, and Sjodin from Angleholm 1G6A.

I can't see a scenario where Lekkermaki gets quality opportunities in a league that doesn't give opportunities to its younger players. 

Sjoholm - undrafted at 18 - available in this draft 

Stromgren - drafted 2nd round, 55th overall 2021

Stjernborg - drafted 4th round, 108th overall 2021

Robertsson - drafted 3rd round 71st overall 2021

Sjodin, also 20 - undrafted at 18, drafted 7th round 211th overall 2022

Lekkermaki - drafted 1st round 15th overall 2022.

One of these is not like the others...

Pettersson got ice time at 18 and broke records in the SHL. It seems to me ice time depends a great deal on performance. It didn't seem to hurt Hoglander staying an extra year in the SHL. D-Petey plans to play another year in Sweden as well despite having a good SHL season. Reports were as the season went on his ice time increased.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Baggins said:

I like the patience route myself. He's had a good playoffs but his season wasn't good. SHL is better than AHL imo. Let him shoot for a good SHL season before dragging him off to a foreign country and start the clock ticking. There's no reason to rush him.

Agree.... he is just finding his feet again all be it at a lower level... a step up in Sweden, in a known environment, is probably better for him, while regaining his confidence. 
Had he not had this write off year and murdered it in Sweden, AHL would be the next step, but for now baby steps. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, stawns said:

SHL teams don't give two sh!ts about his development because he's only going to be there for a year.  I'd rather have him learning the system, adjusting to the ice size, building chemistry with other prospects and getting the full development experience in Abby asap

Plus, coach Colliton and his staff have done an amazing job developing players this past year. 

• There it is 1

10 hours ago, stawns said:

this is an asinine argument. no team goes against their own interests to spite a prospect who's moving on. did petey get stapled to the bench in his last year before coming over? I seem to remember it differently...

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, The Lock said:

Again, these are just assumptions. Can you provide examples of this happening?

A great example is Podkolzin when he was in the KHL. 

Edit: Personally, I'm okay with him playing a year in the SHL. As others have pointed out, it certainly hasn't hurt guys like Petey. But having him develop directly under Colliton, along with the Sedins, is what I'd prefer. Lekkerimaki and Raty could be something special.

Edited by BarnBurner
  • There it is 1

23 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

A great example is Podkolzin when he was in the KHL. 

Edit: Personally, I'm okay with him playing a year in the SHL. As others have pointed out, it certainly hasn't hurt guys like Petey. But having him develop directly under Colliton, along with the Sedins, is what I'd prefer. Lekkerimaki and Raty could be something special.

The poster using Petey as the example didn't really point out that Petey was the exception, not the rule.

• Cheers 1