The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] NY Rangers looking to shake things up

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  We aren't getting both of them.  Lafreniere may be on the block as he's an RFA and wants $3 million+ and also he would be on their 3rd line behind Panarin and Kreider.

11 OA for Lafreniere, Goodrow and their 2024 2nd.  I'm not sold on Othman and not sure where he would fit if we got Laff.  I'd use Hoglander as a sweetener to move out Garland...

and how much over the cap does that put us? imo they have to clear 10mil to be cap compliant next season and maybe sign a 3c and a stay at home d man.

how many trades will it take to clear 10 mil? can it be done without buyouts?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

You are 100% not getting Lafrenier and Schneider.  Stop.  Like just stop.

Schneider would not will not be on the block.  he is exactly what they need and don't have at an affordable price.

Laf, sure.  You could get Laf.  But then what?  He is going to cost our 11th OA because "former 1st OA" 

So hope for 11th OA and Hoglander/Johansson/Rathbone for Lafrenier and Othman and call it a win.  Maybe flip Laf to Montreal for the florida 1st and a 2nd

NYR refused to include Schneider in a deal for Miller a year ago and now somehow people think we can get him for Hoglander. I don't understand it.

I do agree that Lafrenieright be had for our 11th though if they've started growing sour on him. He is at least an NHLer who might still become a true top 6 guy with a change of scenery, but it is still a gamble when this is supposed to be a deep draft an a winger is not our biggest position of need.

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

You are 100% not getting Lafrenier and Schneider.  Stop.  Like just stop.

Schneider would not will not be on the block.  he is exactly what they need and don't have at an affordable price.

Laf, sure.  You could get Laf.  But then what?  He is going to cost our 11th OA because "former 1st OA" 

So hope for 11th OA and Hoglander/Johansson/Rathbone for Lafrenier and Othman and call it a win.  Maybe flip Laf to Montreal for the florida 1st and a 2nd

Laf will not cost a high 1st.

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Would you do it?

If I knew without a question that I could flip Laf to Montreal I absolutely would.

I like Othman, he is scrappy as hell and a big game player.  If we could obtain him and say the florida first and a + by also getting and flipping Laf I'd consider that a huge win

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If I knew without a question that I could flip Laf to Montreal I absolutely would.

I like Othman, he is scrappy as hell and a big game player.  If we could obtain him and say the florida first and a + by also getting and flipping Laf I'd consider that a huge win

Im not going to lie, I think him playing alongside Pettersson could do wonders for him. A lot of his goals come from sweet passes. Bottom 6 minutes, no PP time, no 6-5 time, no empty nets, and plays with Goodrow and Chytil on the third line.

I’d certainly take a gamble on him. Only 21 years old. Unfortunately, Kreider and Panarin on the left side for the next 3-6 years, he’s not going to get anywhere near the playing time.

I don’t think Montreal would be interested in his services either. They are set on the wings with Slafkovsky, Caufield on the left side and are rumoured to be in the sweepstakes for Dubois.

Quite honesty, I’d do the 11th for Lafreniere and Othman. If we were picking higher, I wouldn’t do it. But at 11, this would be one of those only times I’d agree with trading a high pick. 

I’d much rather have Lafreniere + Othman than Cristall, Wood, Perrault, and other projected 2/3C’s available with that pick. 

I’d wait until I see if Reinbacher/ASP are taken. If they are, do this trade 100%. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

and how much over the cap does that put us? imo they have to clear 10mil to be cap compliant next season and maybe sign a 3c and a stay at home d man.

how many trades will it take to clear 10 mil? can it be done without buyouts?

We are cap compliant without doing anything, Pearson is our only issue.  If we make that trade then we have to move Garland and maybe Beauvillier as well.

What the Canucks need is D... and the Rangers are not going to trade any of theirs.

We won't get Lafreniere unless for some reason NY gets infested with zombie worms and Sather loses his mind and offers him for a bucket of pucks.

The Canucks need to get their own CAP problems solved, preferably by unloading one of our spare forwards and acquiring an inexpensive but reliable 3/4 D man.

15 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

What the Canucks need is D... and the Rangers are not going to trade any of theirs.

We won't get Lafreniere unless for some reason NY gets infested with zombie worms and Sather loses his mind and offers him for a bucket of pucks.

The Canucks need to get their own CAP problems solved, preferably by unloading one of our spare forwards and acquiring an inexpensive but reliable 3/4 D man.

We’re going to have to attach our 3rd round picks to Beau, Garland, Boeser, and Myers.

At this point, if the value isn’t there, Canucks are going to be forced to buyout OEL. I just can’t see any way around it. Hronek needs to be extended next year as does Pettersson. Like one way or another, they will be forced to buyout OEL.

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

We’re going to have to attach our 3rd round picks to Beau, Garland, Boeser, and Myers.

At this point, if the value isn’t there, Canucks are going to be forced to buyout OEL. I just can’t see any way around it. Hronek needs to be extended next year as does Pettersson. Like one way or another, they will be forced to buyout OEL.

Hronek and Petey deals will start October 2024. Myers is for sure off the books. And an OEL buyout costs our owner 11 million less summer 2024 instead of this summer. I’d prefer he buys out OEL this summer, but our owner won’t cut that big of a cheque. 
We will keep Boeser. Garland is as good as gone. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

4 Rangers Who Won’t Be Back in 2023-24 – Post-Playoff Update (msn.com)

Tarasenko and Kane not likely coming back.  Kakko, Lafreniere and Goodrow could be on the trading block.  Are the NY Rangers a good trading partner for the Vancouver Canucks?

Lafreniere and Schneider are the two pieces we should be interested in.  Goodrow would be a great add to the bottom 6 and could be our 3C.  Lafreniere is an RFA and probably wants $3 million+.  Goodrow is at $3.6 million for 4 more years.  The Rangers need cap space to re-sign D'Andre Miller and a few more guys on top.

Should we be looking at the Rangers as a trade partner?  If we take on Goodrow's contract to fill a bottom 6 role could we get Lafreniere or even Schneider at a better deal?  Obviously, we need to free up cap space ourselves, so we will see where that goes.  What do you guys think?  Personally, I think the Rangers will be going all in.  Most of their core are 30+...

Braden Schneider? You mean literally the worst defenseman in the league according to analytics? Why would you want him? Lafreniere has been underwhelming so far; the risk isn't worth the price they'll be asking.

• Cheers 1