The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[WCF] Vegas Golden Knights (P1) vs. Dallas Stars (C2) | Golden Knights win series 4-2

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Conference Finals  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Stars in 4
    • Stars in 5
    • Stars in 6
    • Stars in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/21/2023 at 07:00 PM

39 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

He also publicly hung Burrows out to dry then back pedalled and jumped on his bandwagon. Swarmy. Pick a side floppy Ron. 

He's cringy to me and tries too hard to fit in. With stuff like music, etc. especially....thinks he's cool but he's actually ice age.

I've been listening to the playoff games at the beach recently....just don't want to be stuck inside on beautiful evenings. It's so great...bald eagles, blue herons, sunsets and hockey. Life is good.

Good on Dallas for making a series out of this. Can't stand either team so let them wear each other down.

Without KB3 on the HNIC panel the experience is indeed cringe worthy. Yes, what he tried to do to Alex Burrows was as low as you can go. What many fans forget is how badly the HNIC group wanted the Canucks to fail in 2011. McLean led the tone of all that IMHO. The gross late hit by Aaron Rome was a McLean favorite. 

Your right Deb it is to nice to be rehashing this stuff. Enjoy.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/28/2023 at 3:45 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I never liked Ron from the beginning. It was like he was hired to try to keep Cherry in check, and on track. And got too lazy to do that. I'm more curious why people support him?

His stories are not really amusing. He offers no insight. His attempts at humour are worse than the worst Dad joke you've ever heard. The sooner he retires the better.

The arrogance drips off of him onto every panelist sitting nearby, who frequently  has more cred. The deluge of name droppings are generally all about pumping his popularity with small town Canada…than adding to the dialogue. It’s gratuitous! I don’t mind hearing a wee story with direct relevance, but so often his diatribes are very stretching &  not.

A leopard cannot change his spots. He’s just feeding his personal geriatric cult, like a dude in a local beer hall &/or legion. “I know so & so, I saw this, I saw that,....me, me, me, plus more me, equals we!”

Did he mention he’s a hockey “host” who is supposed to move the conversation & commentary along without monopolizing it?! Nope, because in his mind, he’s a famous Canadian icon. He must be heard! HNIC is his show & he will speak the most words!

I doubt he reads critiques, but, it is high-time he realizes his words or mere presence are not “all that” to everyone. 

I realize there’s some irony in this being a lengthy post, but I’m just shooting the breeze on a fan-board where there’s unlimited time & space. Ron is stealing air-time away from his co-hosts, whose careers are just beginning…let ‘em speak!  

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I never liked Ron from the beginning. It was like he was hired to try to keep Cherry in check, and on track. And got too lazy to do that. I'm more curious why people support him?

His stories are not really amusing. He offers no insight. His attempts at humour are worse than the worst Dad joke you've ever heard. The sooner he retires the better.

I liked him fine for what his role was in the early days.  He was the straight man to Cherry's bombastic delivery so it was kind of like watching Mean Gene Okerlund stand there with the microphone while a manic wrestler like Randy Savage or Dr. D David Schultz went on a tirade about how he was going to tear Hulk Hogan and all his little Hulkamaniacs limb from limb.  Nobody watched the promos for Mean Gene but he was good at his job.

Over the years Ron ended up being around for so long that he became a fixture sort of by default just because everybody was so used to him.

I think a lot of people could have done his job but he had a sort of nerdy everyman quality that was easy to digest.  Less so as his ego seems to have grown with his tenure over the years.  I think someone like John Shorthouse is the version with humility and also more humor.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

I really want the Stars to win.   Feel the longer the series goes on, the better it is for Florida.     Feel as a team, they've been the better one, and deserved to win the last two games.   Also feel they should have won an early game as well.   They are a great mix of vets and youth.    And really pulled together to make sure Benn had at least one more game.   Know he made a mistake, and know that he knows that.   The way the Stars talk about their Captain, is all extremely positive.   And it seems sincere.   From the coach down, they have a ton of respect for Benn.    Personally can give him the benefit of the doubt as well, don't think he was trying to injure Stone, fell on him and didn't change his trajectory ... definitely didn't add the sort of power he could have to the play.   And like a good hockey story, it seems to have got the troops playing better as a unit (after their deflating game 3 loss).    It cost him and his team, 3 games without him as well. 

Dallas is a fun team to watch.   Hill kept the game from being a complete blowout .... as did the Vegas players blocking shot after shot.  

One more game like that and Dallas has to be the favourites in Game 7.   And truly hope they can do it.    Vegas shouldn't have got such a pass, while other established franchises are toiling just to make the playoffs.   Didn't mind their Cinderella run their first year, given what happened in Vegas and how the Knights became a rallying point.    And how it showed every GM and fan in the league, the best value is in the middle class blue chip guys.   But now they've got a veteran team already, that's a contender, and has been 3 years in a row now.   They proved to me beyond any doubt, that they are built for the playoffs.    And with no state taxes...it's like having an extra 8.3 million dollar player for free compared to most Canadian teams. 

Want them to lose.   And in five years, have go through a painful,  decade long rebuild phase which is now the norm once a top team gets to the rebuild phase.  CAR missed 9 in a row!    Buffalo .  Us.   EDM wow they waited forever to have perennial playoff team again.   Vegas can go pound sand.   

I get it, I like Dallas too. That one draft with Robertson, Heiskanen, and Otter changed their entire franchise. I wish we could have a draft like that. Pavs is seemingly ageless, I can't remember the last time a player who wasn't a superstar aged the way he was. If you look at his career numbers he's been incredibly consistent, forwards almost never age as well as he has. Benn and Seguin have been better this season, I could be bitter about the Sedin comments but it's whatever, more than likely the twins moved on from it pretty quickly, don't see why I should hold a grudge.

Nice to see them rally and bail out their captain. If they lose it'll be in six, that's nothing to be ashamed of, I hope they win though. I'd be content to see Dallas or Florida win, although I am rooting for Florida. I share you feelings on Vegas, that franchise is spoiled and I hate their owner's stupid face. They can suffer for a while like most franchises, I'll be disappointed if they win a cup. They've been to as many conference finals in six seasons as we have ever. Seattle's much more likeable. 

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Oh - i'm hoping they can bang up Vegas on the way to the golf course.   The only guy I really love on that team is Stone.   One of the most underrated players the past 7 years or so in the NHL.   At least Vegas got that right, naming him Captain and he's earned closer to the respect he deserves by the hockey writers or guys that vote for the Selke.   If he played in TO instead,  i'm sure he'd have given Bergeron a bigger run for his money then he's got, and probably lost a couple pieces of hardware on the way as well.  Don't think anyone in the league has a better stick.    The way he can pick passes out of lanes and pucks out of the air is pretty amazing.    

As for Dallas...wow do they have a lot of young weapons.   It's fun to watch them play.    They've also got some pretty wily vets.   Pavelski is the best older player i've watched since Selanne had his final hurrah in the Olympics, and Sakic scored over 100 at 37, before that Yzerman on one knee in 2002, and Borque in 2001...and Lidstrom his last two final appearances...Osgood too actually, and the other goalie of course Thomas at the same age in 2011.     Sure Ovi and Crosby will also do it, but doubt their clubs will be good enough for them to get another cup.   To do that, they'd have to ask for a trade.   I'm rooting for Pavelski.    Benn also had his best season in years ... rooting for him too even though a lot of folks have cancelled him.  

Stone is chill, I don't mind Eichel either. That's the only balm to Vegas winning, it'd be funny if Eichel won a cup and McDavid never did despite the gulf between them when it comes to personal awards. Like I said though, Dallas is likeable. Otter's gotta be as good as Demko. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

Shortly after the Cherry fiasco SN came to Prince Rupert. They pulled out all the stops. There was a huge outdoor stage built. But at the last minute the between period show had to put in a sound proof trailer because the locals were booing McLean  to much. :lol:

Old Ron's tightie whities must have really bunched up when ol'Don polled as #1 Canadian. The CBC hated his guts but Don just smiled. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I get it, I like Dallas too. That one draft with Robertson, Heiskanen, and Otter changed their entire franchise. I wish we could have a draft like that. Pavs is seemingly ageless, I can't remember the last time a player who wasn't a superstar aged the way he was. If you look at his career numbers he's been incredibly consistent, forwards almost never age as well as he has. Benn and Seguin have been better this season, I could be bitter about the Sedin comments but it's whatever, more than likely the twins moved on from it pretty quickly, don't see why I should hold a grudge.

Nice to see them rally and bail out their captain. If they lose it'll be in six, that's nothing to be ashamed of, I hope they win though. I'd be content to see Dallas or Florida win, although I am rooting for Florida. I share you feelings on Vegas, that franchise is spoiled and I hate their owner's stupid face. They can suffer for a while like most franchises, I'll be disappointed if they win a cup. They've been to as many conference finals in six seasons as we have ever. Seattle's much more likeable. 

Stone is chill, I don't mind Eichel either. That's the only balm to Vegas winning, it'd be funny if Eichel won a cup and McDavid never did despite the gulf between them when it comes to personal awards. Like I said though, Dallas is likeable. Otter's gotta be as good as Demko. 

I have always liked Stone and will admit Eichel has grown on me. He plays a pretty solid game. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I have always liked Stone and will admit Eichel has grown on me. He plays a pretty solid game. 

He does, he's played some really solid hockey this run for Vegas. It helps that the trade worked out for both Vegas and Buffalo, it makes his departure less of a sore spot in general and I think he's viewed more positively around the league now that the Buffalo saga is over.

30 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don’t feel the same way I think he’s an untitled punk and I see a similar reception to  Horvats return. Hope the Canucks blow the isles out.

• There it is 1

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I have absolutely no idea.  Even his family should be ashamed with how much of a disgrace to the species he is.  I can't think of a single reason anyone should be pretending to respect this worthless pile of breathing fecal matter; he has absolutely nothing to offer.  Rotten Ronnie is lucky he didn't get thrown in prison where he belongs after choosing to criminally slander Burrows on taxpayer-subsidized TV.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, chon derry said:

I don’t feel the same way I think he’s an untitled punk and I see a similar reception to  Horvats return. Hope the Canucks blow the isles out.

I hope Horvat’s return doesn’t produce the boos, that BUF produces for Eichel. I do, however, favour trolling him with signs stating all of the things that we are happy to tell him “for free”.

He’s a good NHL player & was a fine Captain Canuck & I’ll tell him that for free. 

Saying something nice in return, will actually help him to regret his ill-timed comments, more. 

Besides,..former Canucks often return to our community, as players, advisors, coaches, investors, administrators, entrepreneurs or as visitors participating in Canucks’ alumni events. They deserve these  opportunities & us keeping all these doors open for them,…until, as in Mark Messier’s case (wink), they don’t!

So, who am I rooting’ for…DAL or VGK?

I predicted FLA or CAR would win this year’s SCup, but Vegas has the character veterans to remain a resilient threat. We have had some friction & history with the DAL organization, on & off the ice. So, I think they can live, learn & wait  awhile longer, before receiving this kind of reward. Jaimie Benn, Tyler Seguin & the majority of Texans, yah, I’m talkin’ to you! 

Edited by viking mama
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, viking mama said:

I hope Horvat’s return doesn’t produce the boos, that BUF produces for Eichel. I do, however, favour trolling him with signs stating all of the things that we are happy to tell him “for free”.

He’s a good NHL player & was a fine Captain Canuck & I’ll tell him that for free. 

Saying something nice in return, will actually help him to regret his ill-timed comments, more. 

Besides,..former Canucks often return to our community, as players, advisors, coaches, investors, administrators, entrepreneurs or as visitors participating in Canucks’ alumni events. They deserve these  opportunities & us keeping all these doors open for them,…until, as in Mark Messier’s case (wink), they don’t!

So, who am I rooting’ for…DAL or VGK?

I predicted FLA or CAR would win this year’s SCup, but Vegas has the character veterans to remain a resilient threat. We have had some friction & history with the DAL organization, on & off the ice. So, I think they can live, learn & wait  awhile longer, before receiving this kind of reward. Jaimie Benn, Tyler Seguin & the majority of Texans, yah, I’m talkin’ to you! 

You're a kind spirit when it comes to old Bo.  I probably couldn't be bothered to boo him but I don't think he was a great captain.  His teams were repeatedly out of the playoffs by game 30 of the season and never able to pull out of tailspins in time for it to make a difference.  Those teams didn't show up on time for the regular season and they weren't good at handling adversity.  I don't think I would really want Bo bringing that back to the team as a coach or executive...though if he wants to show up and teach face offs I'd be down for that.  The problems with the team certainly weren't all on Horvat, and he was good in that bubble playoffs, but take away that bubble year and the Horvat era is...probably my least favorite period of Canucks hockey except for the Messier years.  Even with the bubble run, I would take everything but the Messier years over Horvat's run as a whole.  Nine seasons and next to nothing worth celebrating.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1