The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

allvin's choices to lower cap?

Rate this topic

smithers joe

if i'm allvin and i've read the reaction of the fans, i'm stumped. i'ld have to let kuzmenko, bear and fa's walk and still trim 2 mil more off my cap. i read people don't want buyouts; retaining on trades; not sweetening with more than with 3rd or 4th picks and only want players they deem expendable to be traded.

sounds like fantasy island. the plane!

• Cheers 1

He needs to buyout OEL. It makes too much sense not too.

Other options:

Trade a winger. It seems like that's going to happen. Garland's name is out there but I won't be shocked if they flip Anthony Beauvillier since he's on an expiring deal and they likely won't re-sign him. Boeser may also be flipped. I don't think moving Garland makes sense because Garland has experience with Rick Tocchet and thrived under him both here and in Arizona.

Move Tyler Myers. Yeah, his cap hit is high but his salary is low. A team may bite without needing a sweetener unlike some of the wingers not named Beauvillier.

To save on cap, I don't think the Canucks sign a name back up goalie. There's a very good chance they just re-sign Collin D'Elia and roll with Demko/D'Elia as the tandem next season with Silovs as the call up option/starter in Abby. With that said, I think it's more realistic that Martin returns as the backup because of the signing of Mikita Talapila from the Allsvenseken. I think they'll want to run a tandem of Silovs/Talapia in Abby next season.

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

Canucks are in cap hell and other teams know it.  Best we can hope for is trading some players for “future considerations” and maybe retaining.

Something like…

Beau + Myers to CHI for future considerations.  Both have 1 yr left on their contract.  So CHI can probably flip them for draft picks at the TDL.

I don’t think there are many suitors that want Garland at that price.   Canucks retain a bit and trade for a low draft pick.  Possibly a buyout candidate.  2yrs at below $1M cap hit followed by 4yrs at below $2M cap hit.

I think Boeser would garner some interest but would definitely need to retain maybe $2M.  Buyout would be 4yrs at just above $2M.

I’m expecting Pearson and Poolman to be on LTIR giving the seriousness of their medical problems.

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

choices;

1. buyouts

2. trades for futures

3. attach sweetners to trades

4. retain part of contracts

5. others?

what would suit you best?

what about trade players for players with some cap, on shorter deals coming back.  Trading Miller and actually getting some good pieces back is the smartest way to clear cap while adding depth to the the org.

They should not add dad cap in any way or add picks or prospects to move to out contracts.........there's no contract bad enough to go to that extreme

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Canucks are in cap hell and other teams know it.  Best we can hope for is trading some players for “future considerations” and maybe retaining.

Something like…

Beau + Myers to CHI for future considerations.  Both have 1 yr left on their contract.  So CHI can probably flip them for draft picks at the TDL.

I don’t think there are many suitors that want Garland at that price.   Canucks retain a bit and trade for a low draft pick.  Possibly a buyout candidate.  2yrs at below $1M cap hit followed by 4yrs at below $2M cap hit.

I think Boeser would garner some interest but would definitely need to retain maybe $2M.  Buyout would be 4yrs at just above $2M.

I’m expecting Pearson and Poolman to be on LTIR giving the seriousness of their medical problems.

Trading Myers now would be a stupid move........by the tdl they will actually get something for him.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

He needs to buyout OEL. It makes too much sense not too.

Other options:

Trade a winger. It seems like that's going to happen. Garland's name is out there but I won't be shocked if they flip Anthony Beauvillier since he's on an expiring deal and they likely won't re-sign him. Boeser may also be flipped. I don't think moving Garland makes sense because Garland has experience with Rick Tocchet and thrived under him both here and in Arizona.

Move Tyler Myers. Yeah, his cap hit is high but his salary is low. A team may bite without needing a sweetener unlike some of the wingers not named Beauvillier.

To save on cap, I don't think the Canucks sign a name back up goalie. There's a very good chance they just re-sign Collin D'Elia and roll with Demko/D'Elia as the tandem next season with Silovs as the call up option/starter in Abby. With that said, I think it's more realistic that Martin returns as the backup because of the signing of Mikita Talapila from the Allsvenseken. I think they'll want to run a tandem of Silovs/Talapia in Abby next season.

in what universe does 8 years of significant dead cap make "too much sense"?  Two of those years are $5m+........I honestly can't think of a worse idea.

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

do not trade draft picks, do not retain money, do not buy out.

So tired of watching the future get butchered, to ice a mediocre current team.

Well said.   You'd figure that JR & Co. would have studied the JB decade of devastation and learned their lesson by now but they are making many of the same mistakes made by the last regime including re-signing BB6 and JTM when they were worth more gone than here and then threw away two high draft picks on a Dman when we have an almost empty cupboard on the farm after JB threw  draft picks and prospects away like candy and could have used those 2 picks to replenish are severly depleted asset pool - especially since we are years away from competing - if ever - with this stale core that has FAILED us for years.     

So, best to avaoid any futher damage and bite the bullet and if it was ujp to me and 88% of the thousands of Canuck Fans who actually voted - I'd tear this team almost down to the core and get on with what we all know really know needs to be done - for the good of the franchise in the long term.    Stop P1$$ing around !

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

agree - it was mentioned at deadline - dredger tweet? that if Canucks retain 1.6 or so on Boeser "there was a trade to make." of course it didn't happen because the return was not sweet enough for nucks to retain, or, per their projections they could not afford to retain anything.

I believe if you want to give Brock away for a 3rd pick or later, several teams would be interested ---- Chicago, Anaheim, maybe the jets... Brock + Bedard on PP1, bump rocks numbers, then flip him or sign him

I wonder if the same person that was respoinsible for the BB6 resigning will have the courage to admit failure?

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

do not trade draft picks, do not retain money, do not buy out.

So tired of watching the future get butchered, to ice a mediocre current team.

100% the most frustrating thing about following this team the last decade is the constant bleeding away draft picks for quick fixes. Sick and tired of people telling me that not all draft picks will pan out. I know this but teams mainly build through the draft and not every pick is going to hit.

That said, how much depth/talent have we traded away with the picks the last 8-9 years? At some point the bill comes due and our team won’t ever be deep enough to build around Petey/Hughes and Demko. We see it Gurn and we are sick of it!

• Cheers 3

Seems safe to expect Pearson and Poolman start on LTIR, so standing pat to start the season is a viable option.

If (when) one other player on a significant contract goes on LTIR, we’ll have more relief, options, and won’t be forced into desperation trades. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Trading Myers now would be a stupid move........by the tdl they will actually get something for him.

Depends. 

By trading Myers the Canucks can get cap space and thereby getting a player that they want at the start of the season.  The goal is to make the playoffs.  If Canucks are trading Myers at the trade deadline, pretty much means they are out of the playoff picture.

So what would you rather have?  Possibly playoffs or a draft pick?

Edited by BPA

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

Depends. 

By trading Myers the Canucks can get cap space and thereby getting a player that they want at the start of the season.  The goal is to make the playoffs.  If Canucks are trading Myers at the trade deadline, pretty much means they are out of the playoff picture.

Honestly, you probably would have a hard time replacing Myers. Unless you're trading Myers for another top 4 dman? Otherwise we're going to be forced into locking a guy up with more term via free agency, or bleeding even more assets just to fill the void he left. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Honestly, you probably would have a hard time replacing Myers. Unless you're trading Myers for another top 4 dman? Otherwise we're going to be forced into locking a guy up with more term via free agency, or bleeding even more assets just to fill the void he left. 

True.

It’s damned if you do and damned if you don’t. BUT considering most posters here nickname him as “Chaos Giraffe”, keeping him doesn’t make much sense if wanting to make the playoffs.

6 hours ago, smithers joe said:

choices;

1. buyouts

2. trades for futures

3. attach sweetners to trades

4. retain part of contracts

5. others?

what would suit you best?

Ship out Beauviller + Garland with 1m retained on each and get some draft picks in return. Beauvillier at 3 million will look good to a lot of teams, Garland at 3.9 looks good as well. 

After replacing them in the lineup with two ELC guys (Podkolzin and Hoglander) we're looking at 4.2m in cap space that opens up.

Use the cap space to get a 3C that can kill penalties (BARBASHEV)

Bring back MOTTE. Such a good penalty killer, a great 4th liner, and weirdly awesome in shootouts. #1 PK duo is now Barbashev-Motte. 

Mikheyev-Petey-Kuzmenko

Boeser-Miller-Hoglander

Podkolzin-Barbashev-Joshua

Studnicka-Aman-Motte

Hughes-Bear

OEL-Hronek

Wolanin-Myers

Then next year, when Myers salary falls off, we see how OEL did. If he bounced back well enough to play on the 2nd pair, great. If not, buy him out at that point, and go after a defenseman more in the vein of Gavrikov. And use Myers savings to beef up the bottom-6 even more. 

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

True.

It’s damned if you do and damned if you don’t. BUT considering most posters here nickname him as “Chaos Giraffe”, keeping him doesn’t make much sense if wanting to make the playoffs.

True, but most posters here struggle with logic and common sense.  

42 minutes ago, BPA said:

Depends. 

if they trade myers after his bonus is paid, they save 1 mil, which might be enough to sign bear.

19 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Ship out Beauviller + Garland with 1m retained on each and get some draft picks in return. Beauvillier at 3 million will look good to a lot of teams, Garland at 3.9 looks good as well. 

After replacing them in the lineup with two ELC guys (Podkolzin and Hoglander) we're looking at 4.2m in cap space that opens up.

Use the cap space to get a 3C that can kill penalties (BARBASHEV)

Bring back MOTTE. Such a good penalty killer, a great 4th liner, and weirdly awesome in shootouts. #1 PK duo is now Barbashev-Motte. 

Mikheyev-Petey-Kuzmenko

Boeser-Miller-Hoglander

Podkolzin-Barbashev-Joshua

Studnicka-Aman-Motte

Hughes-Bear

OEL-Hronek

Wolanin-Myers

Then next year, when Myers salary falls off, we see how OEL did. If he bounced back well enough to play on the 2nd pair, great. If not, buy him out at that point, and go after a defenseman more in the vein of Gavrikov. And use Myers savings to beef up the bottom-6 even more. 

does mean garland has been traded and his salary space will be enough to pay for hoglander, barbashev, motte and bear and the 1.5 mil that we are  over the cap for next year?

3 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

does mean garland has been traded and his salary space will be enough to pay for hoglander, barbashev, motte and bear and the 1.5 mil that we are  over the cap for next year?

sorry, i didn't see that you traded beauvillia too. that makes more sense.