The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

allvin's choices to lower cap?

Rate this topic

smithers joe

50 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Honestly, you probably would have a hard time replacing Myers. Unless you're trading Myers for another top 4 dman? Otherwise we're going to be forced into locking a guy up with more term via free agency, or bleeding even more assets just to fill the void he left. 

If Myers was a top 4 dman (might've been once but not anymore) I think there wouldn't be as much desire to move him to be honest. 

I don't think we need to do all that much.  

If Demko is healthy, that fixes our biggest issue.  Getting Hronek and Mikheyev back from injury will be huge.  We are adding a 1G, top 4 D and top 6 F to the lineup without adding any cost.

We have $5 mil in LTIR.  I think Garland, Boeser, Myers are all tradable without any significant retention, but with limited returns.

We can make this work without buyouts or trading picks.  The holes in our lineup are on the bottom half, they can be addressed without a huge cost.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Quantum said:

He needs to buyout OEL. It makes too much sense not too.

Other options:

Trade a winger. It seems like that's going to happen. Garland's name is out there but I won't be shocked if they flip Anthony Beauvillier since he's on an expiring deal and they likely won't re-sign him. Boeser may also be flipped. I don't think moving Garland makes sense because Garland has experience with Rick Tocchet and thrived under him both here and in Arizona.

Move Tyler Myers. Yeah, his cap hit is high but his salary is low. A team may bite without needing a sweetener unlike some of the wingers not named Beauvillier.

To save on cap, I don't think the Canucks sign a name back up goalie. There's a very good chance they just re-sign Collin D'Elia and roll with Demko/D'Elia as the tandem next season with Silovs as the call up option/starter in Abby. With that said, I think it's more realistic that Martin returns as the backup because of the signing of Mikita Talapila from the Allsvenseken. I think they'll want to run a tandem of Silovs/Talapia in Abby next season.

OEL buyout hit is too long and too high.  He will stick around next year and (hopefully) be healthy this time around and bounce back.  

His buyout can be revisited in a couple years.

Myers cap hit needs to go...  a cap floor team will be interested after his bonus is paid,  it's just getting him to waive.

At least one (two if Pearson comes off LTIR) wingers with cap hits over $3M need to be moved and replaced with Hogs, Kravstov, Karlsson, etc priced guys. 

Won't be Kuzmenko and likely not Boeser, so one of Garland/Beauv/Mikheyev,

Poolman ?  if not on LTIR I'm guessing is either waived or bought-out

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Depends. 

By trading Myers the Canucks can get cap space and thereby getting a player that they want at the start of the season.  The goal is to make the playoffs.  If Canucks are trading Myers at the trade deadline, pretty much means they are out of the playoff picture.

So what would you rather have?  Possibly playoffs or a draft pick?

No, it means they have an expiring contract and they want a return on that contract, rather than letting him walk.

In a structured system, Myers looks much better and a team wanting to make a real push would probably covet him at the deadline.  I'd imagine the price wouldn't be too steep.

If they can move him in the summer, without a sweetener, without retention more power to them

Edited by stawns

33 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

If Myers was a top 4 dman (might've been once but not anymore) I think there wouldn't be as much desire to move him to be honest. 

Myers is a top 4 dman on the majority of NHL clubs.

The issue is, unless he played with Hughes last year, he was playing with near AHL level talent.

Don't get me wrong, he's not a 6 million dollar guy, but you're just regurgitating the CDC bs when you say he isn't a top 4.

If you're a cup contending team, he's still a 4-5 guy. 

The issue is our entire Dcore has been atrocious his entire tenure, and the team has played with no structure.

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Myers is a top 4 dman on the majority of NHL clubs.

The issue is, unless he played with Hughes last year, he was playing with near AHL level talent.

Don't get me wrong, he's not a 6 million dollar guy, but you're just regurgitating the CDC bs when you say he isn't a top 4.

If you're a cup contending team, he's still a 4-5 guy. 

The issue is our entire Dcore has been atrocious his entire tenure, and the team has played with no structure.

No cup contending team would have him as their 4-5 guy.  But that's just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, smithers joe said:

does mean garland has been traded and his salary space will be enough to pay for hoglander, barbashev, motte and bear and the 1.5 mil that we are  over the cap for next year?

I don’t know Joe? Not convinced that Bear is a playoff quality top 4 d-man. A lot of analytics people think so. With Hronek coming in I prefer bigger d-men. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

I think Myers gets moved after his bonus without a sweetener. Even if it is just waiving him. Pretty sure a team like Arizona would happily take an NHL defender with $6M cap for only $1M salary.

Beyond that? Not sure. But might not need more, if Pearson and Poolman are headed for LTIR.

41 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Let’s hope so. An $86.5M cap would make things a lot easier for the Canucks (compared to the previously projected $83.5M). That would mean $3 million less cap needed to clear for Vancouver, and 31 possible trading partners with $3 million more to spend than expected.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Let’s hope so. An $86.5M cap would make things a lot easier for the Canucks (compared to the previously projected $83.5M). That would mean $3 million less cap needed to clear for Vancouver, and 31 possible trading partners with $3 million more to spend than expected.

This makes sense. The cap has been increasing soooo slowly. 1M per year. Teams have been looking for a increase like 3-4M. A lot of teams would vote for that size increase. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I don’t know Joe? Not convinced that Bear is a playoff quality top 4 d-man. A lot of analytics people think so. With Hronek coming in I prefer bigger d-men. 

He’s at the bottom of the top 4 , or the top of the bottom 4 :mellow:

• Haha 2

Option 5 - Do Nothing lol

Unless we can trade one of the surplus wingers or done D without a sweetner then  just punt it on down the road. That is with the understanding that you can stay cap compliant with Poolman / Pearson on LTIR.

Were not competing for a cup this year anyway - we can maybe sneak in and if were doing well at the TDL then make a move with  a 2024 asset. 

If OEL can bounce back to even 2021 form + Hronic We got enough AHL D to fill in gaps and give it a run. 

Dont waste cap on a 3C - We have Ratu + a number of other capable AHL candidates  ( again as the late season heroics showed ) 

The reasoning is that In this draft we can absolutely draft 2-3 candidates for 2-3 C and RHD for the window in which we really should be able to compete - so lets not waste all those assets on UFA or aging asset that will just be on the down swing in that window and we will have to dump again for an asset - the cycle never ends if we keep this up !! 

Further to this ever year this 'core' has been backed with assets after a promising upswing to end the season for the last what 4 years ?  - and let everyone down. Lets see if now, for once, they can continue this form - as if they can't we may as well just sell off and go into another rebuild. 

On 5/16/2023 at 8:01 AM, Jester13 said:

Garland has the most value out of guys we'd be willing to move to clear cap. Trade him for any pick possible. Then offload Myers asap. Then wait out the rest of our inefficient contracts, which at that point won't be many.

Oh, and pray to Yahweh that Poolman and Pearson are never coming back.

This.

"Bjorkstrand" Garland, move Myers after his bonus (or worst case, at the TDL). Retain $1-2m on him if necessary. Use our scant space via those moves, LTIR etc, to make smart, efficient signings/trades to upgrade specific roster spots/roles.