The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

allvin's choices to lower cap?

Rate this topic

smithers joe

On 5/16/2023 at 3:51 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

No cup contending team would have him as their 4-5 guy.  But that's just my opinion.

Some, not all, likely would at 3-3.5m. It's not that Myers is that bad, it's more that he's overpaid for what he provides.

14 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Myers at 3.5 holding down the 4/5 spot would be fantastic. 

I agree. I suspect even some contenders would agree. Gudbranson got $4M as a ufa last summer. Not with a very good team, but still it's an indicator of how valuable RHD are these days to teams lacking them.

Edit:

I'll add this as well. Whether kept or moved Myers will have real value at the next trade deadline. With 50% retained he'd only carry about a 750k cap hit to the playoff team trading for him. Retained cap always adds to the return. He has to submit his 10 team list July 1st so there will be plenty of trade options at the deadline. We could trade him after his bonus is paid for a 4th round pick and the team taking his 1m salary knowing they can get far more than that at the trade deadline re-selling him. Or if cap space is created eslewhere keep him to move at the deadline ourselves.

Edited by Baggins

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Some, not all, likely would at 3-3.5m. It's not that Myers is that bad, it's more that he's overpaid for what he provides.

I'd sooner try & get Arizona to bite on his contract.  They *LOVE* those types of contracts (granted, they prefer players on LITR so insurance actually pays his contract essentially).  Likely not have to give up much, if anything imho.  Heck, we might actually get something tangible.

18 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'd sooner try & get Arizona to bite on his contract.  They *LOVE* those types of contracts (granted, they prefer players on LITR so insurance actually pays his contract essentially).  Likely not have to give up much, if anything imho.  Heck, we might actually get something tangible.

What are the odds Arizona isn't on his 10 team no trade list? His cap hit, and only being one year left, would be attractive to several rebuilding teams.Offer Myers and Rathbone for a 3rd. They'd likely that or more back at the deadline moving Myers as a rental to a playoff team. Basically they get a bubble prospect for free to carry Myers until the deadline.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Baggins said:

What are the odds Arizona isn't on his 10 team no trade list? His cap hit, and only being one year left, would be attractive to several rebuilding teams.Offer Myers and Rathbone for a 3rd. They'd likely that or more back at the deadline moving Myers as a rental to a playoff team. Basically they get a bubble prospect for free to carry Myers until the deadline.

Myers might not have any trade value at the TDL so the value to Arizona is the pick they can get from the Canucks.  Klingberg lost nearly all trade value playing on a bad Anaheim team.  Arizona not a good team so Myers' numbers could well have him lose any kind of trade interest.  Arizona also only has 2 retention spots left - ie might not be worthwhile to use 1 on Myers.  

Rathbone likely not worth much when he's now waiver eligible.  

I think the combination of controls he has, his love of Vancouver and his play make him ours to start the year. The weird timing of his bonus also adds to the challenge of moving him as most rosters are fairly set by then. 
He may be tradeable at the deadline with retention if he has a decent year, but if he has a decent year we should be hanging around the middle of the pack and we will see if our management is bold enough to move players like that when close to their ultimate goal of scraping into a WC spot. 
May be the best thing for him to stay, 6M of cap space is a valuable asset.  I also don’t trust the folks running the club not to spend every cent of available cap on regrettable UFAs as soon as it is available without knowing what EP and Hronek are going to cost. 

We have enough talent as is to ice a good team.

Priority 1 (if we can't get anything for BB and the shrimp as is)is to get this team playing the right way and boost the value of those players. Be patient we will get something for them.

I have a hard time believing Myers is so bad Noone will want him once his bonus is paid.

Beau isn't part of the problem and doesn't need to be traded. He's worth his hit and plays the right way. 

We can only hope oel bounces back to the point where he is decent until such point as buyout makes sense.

The issues with this team have been primarily mis diagnosed.  So many players have appeared underperformung because this team plays the wrong way. A disorganized mess. Get them playing the right way then work on changing out certain players for some Bonifide douchbags and a stay at home roughness dman . 

We are only about 3 players away from icing a contender. 

• Cheers 2

On 5/16/2023 at 2:46 PM, BPA said:

Depends. 

By trading Myers the Canucks can get cap space and thereby getting a player that they want at the start of the season.  The goal is to make the playoffs.  If Canucks are trading Myers at the trade deadline, pretty much means they are out of the playoff picture.

So what would you rather have?  Possibly playoffs or a draft pick?

I'd rather keep our first for 100% sure. He'll be gone next year anyway. Maybe if someone bites on one of our thirds but I'd probably rather just keep them. We're already possibly playoffs. As @stawns said if we just wait we might even get something for him at the TDL.

• There it is 1

still a bit early but i could see a scenario where we are able to trade demko just before he is due a new contract and slot in silovs if everything keeps progressing as it has with silovs. i dont recall him having any particular injury prone issues. we would become a smart cap management team and demko could fetch us a nice package. the timeline would also see some of our crap cap disappearing so ... good times and some freeedom to get the players tochett wants

5 hours ago, granpappy said:

still a bit early but i could see a scenario where we are able to trade demko just before he is due a new contract and slot in silovs if everything keeps progressing as it has with silovs. i dont recall him having any particular injury prone issues. we would become a smart cap management team and demko could fetch us a nice package. the timeline would also see some of our crap cap disappearing so ... good times and some freeedom to get the players tochett wants

That's my guess too

Thr Myers' bnous won't be paid until September. 

But by the time between the June Entry draft to Free Agency to September, most teams would already planned on how to spend the cap or already used up most of the cap.  

There wont be too many teams having 6M cap space all of a sudden on Sept.

Young rebuilding teams like Arizona wont pick up a 30-yr old Dmen unless you attach prospects/picks to the deal.

10 minutes ago, The King of Kings said:

Thr Myers' bnous won't be paid until September. 

But by the time between the June Entry draft to Free Agency to September, most teams would already planned on how to spend the cap or already used up most of the cap.  

There wont be too many teams having 6M cap space all of a sudden on Sept.

Young rebuilding teams like Arizona wont pick up a 30-yr old Dmen unless you attach prospects/picks to the deal.

I’m sure there will be a handshake deal for Myers made well ahead of his bonus. Then after it’s paid the deal will be done. Then again we may not want to trade Myers. We might keep him for our bottom pairing.

Hughes, Hronek

OEL, Schenn

Rathbone, Myers

Woo

Best way to create cap space is to cash in on players when their value is highest relative to what they actually bring. 

Could they have traded Brock instead of extending him? Late1st? Early 2nd? 

How about Kuzmenko could we have gotten a Jeanot sized return for him at the deadline?

Theres 12 mill cap space right there. And we picked up a haul of assets in the process. Flip some of those assets to dump bad contracts creating more cap space. Now you have a slate on which to build the team you want.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Best way to create cap space is to cash in on players when their value is highest relative to what they actually bring. 

How about Kuzmenko could we have gotten a Jeanot sized return for him at the deadline?

Theres 12 mill cap space right there. And we picked up a haul of assets in the process. Flip some of those assets to dump bad contracts creating more cap space. Now you have a slate on which to build the team you want.  

What if Kuzmenko is the team you want…

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

What if Kuzmenko is the team you want…

Did it seem like he was Tocchets favorite guy? Wonder why? Did he produce away from Pete? Did he back check or check at all ever? 

He's our shiny toy until he isn't. No doubt he's skilled. Could we have returned more than his real value. How much better than Brock and Beauvellier is he really?

17 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Brock was a coming RFA, and (thanks to Benning :picard:) he had a 7.5 mil QO number. There was no trading him at that point. Extending Brock at a reduced cap hit (almost 1 mil per) was the best move. Kuz Missile is a 39 goal scorer. He’s a guy we extended for 5.5 per. An excellent number for a guy scoring at that rate who also is a playmaker. 
The supporting cast continues to be retooled. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Brock was a coming RFA, and (thanks to Benning :picard:) he had a 7.5 mil QO number. There was no trading him at that point. Extending Brock at a reduced cap hit (almost 1 mil per) was the best move. Kuz Missile is a 39 goal scorer. He’s a guy we extended for 5.5 per. An excellent number for a guy scoring at that rate who also is a playmaker. 
The supporting cast continues to be retooled. 

The point is sell high. 

Just now, hammertime said:

The point is sell high. 

Brock had no value with a 7.5 QO. Kuz is a 39 goal scorer. Why trade him awsy when we could sign him at a great team friendly cap? 
Clearly Benning :picard: left us with some nasty contracts. OEL, Myers, and others of lesser dollar amounts. These are all supporting cast players. The supporting cast is being retooled. Out with the crappy contracts and players and in with new guys who are contributing to winning. Hronek in and Myers out. Mik in and Garland out. That’s what I see happening over the next year. And there will be more turnover as our younger guys push for spots. Woo, Hogs, Pods and others will be pushing for spots. 

• Like 1