The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MATHEW WOOD IS THE BEST PLAYER TO TAKE

Rate this topic

hockeygod77

IM PREDICTING THIS KID WILL BE AN MVP IN THE NHL ..IM SAYING THIS IS THE TYPE OF GUY YOU WANT...YOU COACH HIM TO BE TOUGHER  AND FASTER ..HE WILL BE AS GOOD AS JAIME BENN AND I THINK EICHEL MATHEWS TYPE..NOT SOFT LIKE NUGENT HOPKINS NYLANDER FEW OTHERS WITH SKILL BUT SOFT...DONE MY HOMEWORK AND I THINK HE WILL BE AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN BUDDY BEDARD...

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, hockeygod77 said:

IM PREDICTING THIS KID WILL BE AN MVP IN THE NHL ..IM SAYING THIS IS THE TYPE OF GUY YOU WANT...YOU COACH HIM TO BE TOUGHER  AND FASTER ..HE WILL BE AS GOOD AS JAIME BENN AND I THINK EICHEL MATHEWS TYPE..NOT SOFT LIKE NUGENT HOPKINS NYLANDER FEW OTHERS WITH SKILL BUT SOFT...DONE MY HOMEWORK AND I THINK HE WILL BE AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN BUDDY BEDARD...

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 4

Canucks are lacking good players with size in their system. Who do they have, as far as future NHL players? Klimovich?  Woo?  Maybe not good enough. 

Fantilli - gone

Carlsson - gone

Reinbacher

Dvorsky

Barlow

Wood

Danielson

Ritchie

Honzek

Maybe they add one of these guys.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Isn't it Good? Matthew Wood.

Bob Mac's list shows #14 so I'm ok with it.

One worry supposedly is his skating.

Will he be playing C next year in College or staying as a RW, but seen him listed as C prior so what will his pro position be a RW or C? If he is a C then we have to consider taking him at #11. Big right shot top 6 potential C would be a great addition to our team. Could be a Jeff Carter or high end maybe a Getzlaf type?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Will he be playing C next year in College or staying as a RW, but seen him listed as C prior so what will his pro position be a RW or C? If he is a C then we have to consider taking him at #11. Big right shot top 6 potential C would be a great addition to our team. Could be a Jeff Carter or high end maybe a Getzlaf type?

I wonder if he can play all three forward positions as I've seen him listed as a LW/C as well?

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Isn't it Good? Matthew Wood.

Bob Mac's list shows #14 so I'm ok with it.

One worry supposedly is his skating.

Horvat's skating was an issue I imagine the Canucks can fix that issue for Matt Wood as well

• Cheers 3

59 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If you listen to his current and former coaches, his skating has vastly improved and they no longer see it as an issue. He’s been on a very steep trajectory and continues to improve. He’s also a big guy who’s been growing the past few years, which can result in some wonkiness and limitations, but those should smooth out as he eventually settles into his size. 

The Athletic has a good article on him. It’s paywall, but here are the sections where his coaches discuss Wood’s skating:

For a time, Wood’s skating was considered to be a question mark. That’s no longer the case.

“His skating just kept getting better,” said Didmon. “So I don’t worry about his skating because it has just been on a steady incline and progression over the last three years.”

Walter says it’s something that “he has worked very hard on” as a bigger kid all the way up. But Walter could also always tell it was going to get to where he needed to get it.

“He was always still growing into his body and going through that part of his life, but the skills were there and the passion was there for sure,” Walter said. “I’m really happy for him. There’s always been people who have doubted him along the way and he keeps proving them wrong.”

Helton argues Wood’s skating is “completely fine.”

“We’ve had this conversation with a lot of teams and people go after his skating and I don’t think it’s fair if you actually watch him go in straight lines a little bit,” Helton said. “I think college hockey’s pretty fast, and our league’s fast, and there wasn’t a game this year where I thought ‘jeez, Matty looks behind or he looks slow’ but there were times where I was like ‘whoa, he blew by that guy.'”

As his draft year at UConn progressed this season, Huskies staff got into the habit of inviting scouts out to their practices to that they could see his skating up close.

“I think sometimes people think he can just look a little aloof in games and I think that’s a habit that he’s gotten better at and is starting to break. And he’s just going to get stronger too,” Helton said. “And I mean, I watched him when he played with Connor (Bedard in minor hockey), so we’ve watched him for a long time, and his skating has improved and then from the start of this year to now, it’s gotten a lot better. And it’s only going to continue to get better. If a team chooses not to draft him because of his skating, I think that’s crazy. I don’t think it’s going to be an issue.”

https://theathletic.com/4457512/2023/04/29/nhl-draft-matthew-wood/?access_token=722796&redirected=1

Thanks for the article.  Wood is the classic case of a big man who is still growing into his body and is not fully mature yet.  Once he gets to that next level and fully matures he will pass most of the players in this draft.  Those who prefer Barlow to Wood aren't quite understanding that Barlow has already peaked, while Wood is only at like 75% of his potential.  Wood got 13 points at the U18's, Barlow only had 4.  Any team taking Barlow over Wood is going to seriously regret it.  It will be like taking Juolevi over Sergachev or McAvoy.  I hope the Canucks don't make that mistake.  If Wood is there at 11 he is the guy.  You run to the podium and get him...

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1