The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aquilini was livid that Canucks picked Juolevi over Tkachuk

Rate this topic

-DLC-

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm sure he was happy when they drafted Petey and Hughes the following two years.  At the end of the day, we probably aren't getting Petey if Tkachuk is in the lineup in the 2016-2017 season...

Yeah but the only difference is that your user name will be Matthew Tkachuck.:P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

And there would have been no guarantee Tkachuk didn't pull the same thing he did in Calgary and demand a trade..... but man do I wish we drafted him lol.

Can you guarantee EP or Hughes won't do the same? In the end this is a risk every time you draft a player.

Plus there's always a chance Tkachuck stays in Vancouver longer term than Calgary.

Edited by iinatcc

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm sure he was happy when they drafted Petey and Hughes the following two years.  At the end of the day, we probably aren't getting Petey if Tkachuk is in the lineup in the 2016-2017 season...

wasn't you who said in the Devils - Hurricanes thread that you can't win with minions (Jack Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Mercer) in the playoffs? Pettersson's regular season numbers are always gonna be nice and all, but who knows if he'll be able to replicate his bubble performance. While Tkatchuk has just proven that he's built for playoff hockey.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I highly doubt his 48 points would have made a difference in our draft position. We would still be a lottery team, the following year. Not to mention his 105 PIMs, would probably have cost us more games loss than wins. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Rubik said:

wasn't you who said in the Devils - Hurricanes thread that you can't win with minions (Jack Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Mercer) in the playoffs? Pettersson's regular season numbers are always gonna be nice and all, but who knows if he'll be able to replicate his bubble performance. While Tkatchuk has just proven that he's built for playoff hockey.

Petey is not a minion.  He’s 6’2” and plays bigger than his weight class.  Plus he’s a top defensive forward and kills penalties. He’s a perfect 1C for the playoffs, even better than Barkov.  Tkachuk is great too but if it’s close I would always take the centre over the winger…

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

17 minutes ago, Rubik said:

Hence also the reason management is pushing for Canucks to enter the play offs. 
I'm sure Petey will hold his own, but Canucks needs to get into the playoffs, to see what this teams real credentials are. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey is not a minion.  He’s 6’2” and plays bigger than his weight class.  Plus he’s a top defensive forward and kills penalties. He’s a perfect 1C for the playoffs, even better than Barkov.  Tkachuk is great too but if it’s close I would always take the centre over the winger…

Sure, he's a bit taller than Hughes or Hischier, but their body weight are the exact same. I'd say that's way more important when it comes to throwing/receiving hits, battling it out in the corners etc. But sentences like "X player plays bigger than his weight class" is just so weird to me. Sure, it might not be as easy to knock him off the puck, but that intimidation factor/ability to wreak havoc will always be lacking in his forecheck.

And I'm rooting for Petey, I'm just saying that at this point Tkatchuk would probably be a safer bet as playoff performer.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I highly doubt his 48 points would have made a difference in our draft position. We would still be a lottery team, the following year. Not to mention his 105 PIMs, would probably have cost us more games loss than wins. 

Yes, you could be right.  We could have Petey, Tkachuk and Hughes on the team right now.  But most likely, Tkachuk forces a trade with Vancouver as well, as he wanted to play in the US.  So, the question becomes what package would we have gotten for Tkachuk?  Would we have traded him to Florida for Huberdeau and Weegar?

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, you could be right.  We could have Petey, Tkachuk and Hughes on the team right now.  But most likely, Tkachuk forces a trade with Vancouver as well, as he wanted to play in the US.  So, the question becomes what package would we have gotten for Tkachuk?  Would we have traded him to Florida for Huberdeau and Weegar?

Aren’t the Hughes’ and Tkachuk’s family very close to each other? I’m pretty sure Tkachuk would have stayed if Hughes was on the team. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Aren’t the Hughes’ and Tkachuk’s family very close to each other? I’m pretty sure Tkachuk would have stayed if Hughes was on the team. 

That is actually a good question. 
I had the feeling from day one, that they didn't draft Tkachuk, because he likely told them at the interview, that he saw his future elsewhere, possibly US but definitely not as a Canuck. However, maybe just maybe with QH being here, he may have changed his mind in that respect. 
Guess we'll never know, but I wish Tkachuk was a Canuck. Take away any forward bar Petey, and you have a decent platoff team. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I had the feeling from day one, that they didn't draft Tkachuk, because he likely told them at the interview, that he saw his future elsewhere, possibly US but definitely not as a Canuck. However, maybe just maybe with QH being here, he may have changed his mind in that respect. 
Guess we'll never know, but I wish Tkachuk was a Canuck. Take away any forward bar Petey, and you have a decent platoff team. 

I hope Bedard tells the 10 teams picking before us in the draft in his interviews with them that he cannot see his future with them, only with us.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I was listening to Sportsnet and while many players do have a "no Canadian city" mindset some do make Vancouver as an exception. Perhaps Tkachuk would have liked living in Vancouver and decided to stay. 

Or he leaves.

But, as I said, that's always a risk when drafting a player. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I hope Bedard tells the 10 teams picking before us in the draft in his interviews with them that he cannot see his future with them, only with us.

Yes that would be cool... doubt it would change anything.

Mind you, Bedard would bring back half the assets to build a brand new team, if he was to be traded. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I was listening to Sportsnet and while many players do have a "no Canadian city" mindset some do make Vancouver as an exception. Perhaps Tkachuk would have liked living in Vancouver and decided to stay. 

Or he leaves.

But, as I said, that's always a risk when drafting a player. 

Absolutely...

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

How long did we keep Benning after that when it was clear he was on the wrong path. Then we hired a better team to walk down the same misguided path. 
Problem with this group starts at the top. 

Apparently from the article it seemed Benning was convince the Aqualinis that the team was just "one big move away" from competing. It actually scares me that, if this is true, Benning, who has had no skills in negotiating, was able to con the Aqualinis for so long.

However it also did mention that unlike the previous management team, Aqualini is letting Rutherford run the show since he has too much respect for Rutherford to do otherwise. 

14 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Apparently from the article it seemed Benning was convince the Aqualinis that the team was just "one big move away" from competing. It actually scares me that, if this is true, Benning, who has had no skills in negotiating, was able to con the Aqualinis for so long.

However it also did mention that unlike the previous management team, Aqualini is letting Rutherford run the show since he has too much respect for Rutherford to do otherwise. 

Aquilini hired Gillis early on after buying the club. Gillis used an existing core to make a great team. The Aquilini fired Gillis when Gillis said it was over with that core and they needed to rebuild. Aquilini then hired the Linden Benning led group. Benning retooled around the old core and the club got 100+ points. Aquilini got hooked by that one year. And it cost the club seven more. 
Benning :picard: