The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks Blackhawks at the draft

the only way to get out of the bottom of the league and Stay out is to Keep your top end Draft picks !!! you trade them away only if it puts you over top top Not into the middle !!! One year OK for the right price But year after year has to stop or be prepared for all the same conversations next year and the year after that and after that and........

Now trading away rounds 5-7 I have absolutely No problem with should be doing it Every year if it can improve anything 

2 hours ago, Nurnge said:

the only way to get out of the bottom of the league and Stay out is to Keep your top end Draft picks !!! you trade them away only if it puts you over top top Not into the middle !!! One year OK for the right price But year after year has to stop or be prepared for all the same conversations next year and the year after that and after that and........

Now trading away rounds 5-7 I have absolutely No problem with should be doing it Every year if it can improve anything 

Having multiple 3rd round and 4th round picks I wouldn’t mind trading up with a 3rd and a 4th to get to the end of the 2nd round! But no I completely agree with 1rst round picks we aren’t even contenders and we keep trading ours away.

3 hours ago, teepain said:

canucks

11th

myers

garland/beauviller

3rd round

chicago

19th

2nd 

2nd

Pretty big difference between the two.  Beauvillier is an expiring contract.  Garland has 2 more years after next season.

A deal that helps us for 1 year is a waste imo.  

• Vintage 1

The only way i'd be ok with trading the 11th overall, is if we are getting an established D, who's got upside in the 22-23 year old range.   And this D better have some actual size and play with it as well, that's maybe under utilized, but on our team would be a solid top four right away.   Otherwise keep the pick.    But not an OEL type deal!!! 

Another way to do this, is trade Kuzmenko.   And keep our pick. 

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The only way i'd be ok with trading the 11th overall, is if we are getting an established D, who's got upside in the 22-23 year old range.   And this D better have some actual size and play with it as well, that's maybe under utilized, but on our team would be a solid top four right away.   Otherwise keep the pick.    But not an OEL type deal!!! 

Now now!  You know better than that.  This is CDC!  We don’t trade anyone with value no matter what!  We just assume that other teams want to give us assets in order to take on contracts that we don’t like.  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

I think the only way this works is if Chicago takes TWO of our high cap hit deals (Garland and Myers?)

We trade 1sts, and we get a couple of 2nds

Then in UFA we go get Gavrikov + Barbashev. Bring back Schenn. 

Kuz-Petey-Beauvillier

Boeser-Miller-Hoglander

Mikheyev-Barbashev-Joshua (thats a hell of a shutdown 3rd line)

Aman centering two people

Hughes-Schenn

Gavrikov-Hronek (shutdown pair)

OEL-Bear (they were decent together, should be great if slightly sheltered)

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Andrew Peeke, Brandon Carlo, Noah Hanifin, Aaron Ekblad, Ivan Provorov.  There is not much out there that would be available.  That's why we went after Hronek so hard.  It's almost impossible to get a young under 26 top 4 Dman right now...

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Andrew Peeke, Brandon Carlo, Noah Hanifin, Aaron Ekblad, Ivan Provorov.  There is not much out there that would be available.  That's why we went after Hronek so hard.  It's almost impossible to get a young under 26 top 4 Dman right now...

We were lucky Yzerman got enamoured by that Islanders’ pick looking like it was going to move to 2024 where it was unprotected. There’s zero chance he moves Hronek otherwise. If Yzermsn put Hronek up now tesm’s like Buffalo would be putting in their first, their second, and at least one top prospect. We couldn’t even get a sniff.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

I sure hope the Canucks don't give up the 11th pick.....unless of course OEL is packaged up.  Near impossible but a guy can dream.

Everyone (media included) calling for Myers to be a cap dump......are you nuts?!!!  I think Myers can be traded without losing quality (11th pick).  It will just cost the owner money but someone will surely pick up Myers as a one-year experiment costing them $1M + cap hit.  If not, Myers only has one year left.  If we learned anything from the OEL trade, it was that dumping bad cap players with only 1 year left is a terrible deal if you are giving up quality in the process (or taking on more risk in the process).

We have to stop helping out other teams at our own demise.  

On 5/28/2023 at 1:45 PM, Alflives said:

Not really. We needed a coach (with his assistants) to implement a proper scheme and to make all players follow it. Those games Tocchet coached last season were super important to getting all the players to buy on to playing with a definite structure while playing the right way. With our elite core keeping scoring chances as a saw off will result in a lot of wins for us. 

Agree......and it's not just Tocchet but the opportunity to grab Foote and Gonchar which I think may be one of the biggest improvements overall.

18 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I sure hope the Canucks don't give up the 11th pick.....unless of course OEL is packaged up.  Near impossible but a guy can dream.

Everyone (media included) calling for Myers to be a cap dump......are you nuts?!!!  I think Myers can be traded without losing quality (11th pick).  It will just cost the owner money but someone will surely pick up Myers as a one-year experiment costing them $1M + cap hit.  If not, Myers only has one year left.  If we learned anything from the OEL trade, it was that dumping bad cap players with only 1 year left is a terrible deal if you are giving up quality in the process (or taking on more risk in the process).

We have to stop helping out other teams at our own demise.  

no contending team is going to take on myers at 6mil.. no rebuilding team is going to take myers without a sweetener as they dont need him to reach cap floor.. there's literally no teams below cap floor except chicago and anaheim and 100% he's on myers ntc.. and no we shouldn't trade myers with a sweetener just eat it.

51 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

no contending team is going to take on myers at 6mil..

This is right. It is very unlikely Myers moves anywhere before his bonus is paid on Sep. 17. And any hopes about OEL moving are complete fantasy. He would not waive and no team would take on that contract (unless maybe Benning takes over as GM somewhere).

If there was a trade of #11 from Vancouver for #19 from Chicago along with a fairly high second round pick (#35 or #44), That is pretty close to fair value, although the Canucks maybe could move a contract that is not too bad, maybe Beauvillier or Garland. Chicago might even see those guys are useful for the rebound that they plan to start the following year.  

• Vintage 1

I like the idea of trying to do Boeser/Garland + #11 for #19 plus a 2nd, and maybe even a later pick. I think that could work well for both sides.

Boeser is probably the best fit. He is by all accounts a great teammate, and his skills should compliment Bedard. I suspect he’ll do well enough to plug a hole for Chicago for 1.5 years, and they’ll likely get a pick for him at the 2025 deadline.

For Vancouver, there is the obvious cap clearing benefit. But also, they may end up with as valuable of a prospect anyways. The BPA at #11 is most likely going to be a winger. Personally, I think C’s and D’s are worth so much more than wingers (a quality 3C or #4 D-man is harder to find than a 2nd line winger). There are lots of Cs and Ds projected to go around 19, and into the 2nd round. Hitting on at least 1 of the picks we get from Chicago is more likely than hitting a home run on the #11 pick, even if what is generally accepted as “upside” isn’t quite as high.

Edited by D-Money
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

I like the idea of trying to do Boeser/Garland + #11 for #19 plus a 2nd, and maybe even a later pick. I think that could work well for both sides.

Boeser is probably the best fit. He is by all accounts a great teammate, and his skills should compliment Bedard. I suspect he’ll do well enough to plug a hole for Chicago for 1.5 years, and they’ll likely get a pick for him at the 2025 deadline.

For Vancouver, there is the obvious cap clearing benefit. But also, they may end up with a good of a prospect anyways. The BPA at #11 is most likely going to be a winger. Personally, I think C’s and D’s are worth so much more than wingers (a quality 3C or #4 D-man is harder to find than a 2nd line winger). There are lots of Cs and Ds projected to go around 19, and into the 2nd round. Hitting on at least 1 of the picks we get from Chicago is more likely than hitting a home run on the #11 pick, even if what is generally accepted as “upside” isn’t quite as high.

The Hawks are likely going to have Bedard live with one of their players for his first couple seasons. Is there a better person than Boeser for that? I could see Chicago very much wanting Brock for both on the ice play and off the ice leadership. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

no contending team is going to take on myers at 6mil.. no rebuilding team is going to take myers without a sweetener as they dont need him to reach cap floor.. there's literally no teams below cap floor except chicago and anaheim and 100% he's on myers ntc.. and no we shouldn't trade myers with a sweetener just eat it.

Personally, I like the idea of keeping Myers until his bonus is paid, then seeing who has an injury or disappointments at training camp. At worst, we can put him on waivers then, and a cash-conscious team like Arizona will jump at the chance. No sweeteners needed, and his cap will be off the books to start the season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Personally, I like the idea of keeping Myers until his bonus is paid, then seeing who has an injury or disappointments at training camp. At worst, we can put him on waivers then, and a cash-conscious team like Arizona will jump at the chance. No sweeteners needed, and his cap will be off the books to start the season.

Waivers is an excellent idea. Myers can block a trade to (is it 10 clubs?) eith his limited No Trade, but there’s nothing stopping one of those teams from plucking him off waivers. 
If Woo shows he’s ready (at camp) for the Big club, then your waiver idea for Myers might just be how we move him. And it might just be the Hawks who will be trying to get to the cap floor. Good way for them to save five mil too. 

Edited by Alflives

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The Hawks are likely going to have Bedard live with one of their players for his first couple seasons. Is there a better person than Boeser for that? I could see Chicago very much wanting Brock for both on the ice play and off the ice leadership. 

That makes sense for a number of reasons. A big one is, as a Canucks fan growing up, Bedard has probably been a huge fan of Boeser. They lived in the same area for the last 6 years, and Brock can tell him stories of all the other players Connor grew up admiring.

On top of this, Brock is an American, who would be keenly aware of the differences of living in Vancouver vs. living in the US. He can be a good mentor for Bedard for off-ice things as well.

And lastly, Boeser is still young enough that, if the fit is better than expected, and both sides want to keep it going, Chicago can extend him without worrying about him aging out in their window.

7 minutes ago, D-Money said:

That makes sense for a number of reasons. A big one is, as a Canucks fan growing up, Bedard has probably been a huge fan of Boeser. They lived in the same area for the last 6 years, and Brock can tell him stories of all the other players Connor grew up admiring.

On top of this, Brock is an American, who would be keenly aware of the differences of living in Vancouver vs. living in the US. He can be a good mentor for Bedard for off-ice things as well.

And lastly, Boeser is still young enough that, if the fit is better than expected, and both sides want to keep it going, Chicago can extend him without worrying about him aging out in their window.

I think you want in insulate Bedard with solid veterans on his line at least initially.  Not burden him with a one dimensional player like Boeser.  IMHO.  Like how Trent Klatt was used with the Sedins.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

49 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think you want in insulate Bedard with solid veterans on his line at least initially.  Not burden him with a one dimensional player like Boeser.  IMHO.  Like how Trent Klatt was used with the Sedins.

There’s still room for a 3rd guy on the line to do the digging.

Chicago will want Bedard scoring points and having fun, despite the team likely losing a lot for a couple more years. Not to mention it makes it more entertaining for the fans. Even if Boeser ends up one-dimensional (he was last year, but the year prior was solid defensively too), it’s the dimension that will keep things fun.