The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sabres re-sign Kyle Okposo

8 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

He was the best out of the awful 2016 signings. Still a bad contract but at least he stuck around and averaged around a 40 point pace. 

Yea that year was especially horrendous. I don’t think LE was even the worst signing LOL

• Cheers 1

Andrew Ladd was the worst of the 2016 signings.

Kyle Okposo getting a contract extension beyond the minimum is great value for a team on the rise. Buffalo has been really smart over the last 2 years. Kevyn Adams, I had my doubts about him, but he's turned out to be a very good general manager and has made a serious of very smart decisions. Buffalo is going to be dangerous in the East in the next couple of years especially now that they have the best young goalie in the world, Devon Levi, under contract and ready to tear up the NHL next season.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Good on them.  Stabilize their leadership core when they've already got their core locked up, plus they've got $17 million to spend still on just an RHD to pair with Power.

Have you seen what that guy Tyler Myers is doing at the WHC?  Wowza... what a beast eh? Eh? Eh?!!!

• Haha 3

This is actually pretty amazing though. That contract was horrible for them. They stick by him the whole way through and re upped him for a good value. In van he would have been crucified. 

I'd love to re up Myers on a value contract. The price we would have to pay to trade for a good value contract to play his minutes would be alot. We have a guy already who just needs to be paid less. The market out there for 20 min RHD with his proportions, and of course destroying Keith coupled with Myers being an awesome teammate and local living guy. I would happily do a retirement contract offering him 5th D money. . 

I Don't hate the player because his agent negotiated a favorable contract. Would you turn down an extra mill? Guys IMO like Garland, Myers, OEL Pearson are professionals and they go to work hard. The results are what they are but I don't think anyone can say their mailing it in. Honestly bravo Buffalo. There is no way we could do this in Van. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

This is actually pretty amazing though. That contract was horrible for them. They stick by him the whole way through and re upped him for a good value. In van he would have been crucified. 

I'd love to re up Myers on a value contract. The price we would have to pay to trade for a good value contract to play his minutes would be alot. We have a guy already who just needs to be paid less. The market out there for 20 min RHD with his proportions, and of course destroying Keith coupled with Myers being an awesome teammate and local living guy. I would happily do a retirement contract offering him 5th D money. . 

I Don't hate the player because his agent negotiated a favorable contract. Would you turn down an extra mill? Guys IMO like Garland, Myers, OEL Pearson are professionals and they go to work hard. The results are what they are but I don't think anyone can say their mailing it in. Honestly bravo Buffalo. There is no way we could do this in Van. 

Well put...  

Myers on a 2 year x 2.5 million deal would be an instant yes from me. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I would add Loui to that list also. 
He tried tell all here that Green didn’t know how to coach and then he was crushed by the fans here. 

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I would add Loui to that list also. 
He tried tell all here that Green didn’t know how to coach and then he was crushed by the fans here. 

Nah he was just brutal, you can’t be just yeah but he’s good defensively, as a $6mill forward. Loui at 6x2.5 would have been ok, 6x6 he was pathetic. 

20 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Nah he was just brutal, you can’t be just yeah but he’s good defensively, as a $6mill forward. Loui at 6x2.5 would have been ok, 6x6 he was pathetic. 

Green was just not a coach that could use the players abilities. 
So Loui was used the wrong way and had to change his game.

Loui could have been a vet here for league min and be the 13th player instead of letting a prospect be that guy.

On 5/25/2023 at 3:30 AM, Timråfan said:

Green was just not a coach that could use the players abilities. 
So Loui was used the wrong way and had to change his game.

Loui could have been a vet here for league min and be the 13th player instead of letting a prospect be that guy.

The guy played on the top line or in the top six most of the time here, eventually he was moved out (we finally had better options, and they weren't very good either), you can't put this on Green ... he wasn't even his coach at the start was he?   If anything he should be thanking Green.   Some coaches would have benched him. 

Yes WD was his coach his first year - where he matched his career best goals for Vancouver at 11, 13 assists for 24 points in 65 games lol, playing top line minutes, 18:41, five goals on the PP.   So 6 EV goals lol.   For 6 million dollars, which today is like 8.    If he didn't have his defensive abilities, he'd be pretty useless overall.    At 3 nobody would have minded.   Reality is this player mailed it in. 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

The guy played on the top line or in the top six most of the time here, eventually he was moved out (we finally had better options, and they weren't very good either), you can't put this on Green ... he wasn't even his coach at the start was he?   If anything he should be thanking Green.   Some coaches would have benched him. 

Yes WD was his coach his first year - where he matched his career best goals for Vancouver at 11, 13 assists for 24 points in 65 games lol, playing top line minutes, 18:41, five goals on the PP.   So 6 EV goals lol.   For 6 million dollars, which today is like 8.    If he didn't have his defensive abilities, he'd be pretty useless overall.    At 3 nobody would have minded.   Reality is this player mailed it in. 

It’s been said by people who actually seemed to know how he was used in Boston and Dallas and neither Green or WW used him like that.

One thing also was that he had a lot of pressure on himhere that he didn’t had earlier and that also took it’s toll especially since his own goal that came at the worst moment.

Similar like when DiPietro played against the Sharks and Green hang him out to dry.

We played a very offensive game against ghe Sharks when we should have helped DiPietro more.