The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Garland rising?

Rate this topic

iceman64

Well over at the world's, Garland seems to be continuing where he left off at the end of the last season. CG is doing really well over there and getting noticed, however are the right people watching? As in added interest from other teams in acquiring him? 

Hard to say but it's certainly can't be hurting his stock, question is what can we get for him and maybe that will help the issue, too bad he wasn't 6'2 and 210+, we all like his feisty play but not consistent enough but still a good player when he turns it on. 

Is that enough for a team to give us either a high pick or prospect? 

What do you think? Kind of hard to say BUT all we can hope for is that it balances out the others teams bargaining chip of knowing we need cap and same with Boeser I imagine.

But back to Garland, he needs to be replaced by Hogs or Podz and we need depth! 

Can JR pull one out of his hat and score a home run and get this team finished off and have enough depth for the playoffs for once? 

Idk but at least Garland is trending up and maybe that will help us but no guarantees right? 

Thoughts? Late/Mid 1st pick for him or early 2nd? Hmmm... 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

keep Garland. 
he's not the problem here, and he brings things that no one else does.
Garland>Boeser>Beauvillier 
Out of the 3, i would try to trade Boeser first.

Same but Beauvillier first for me 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

keep Garland. 

I think Brock's going to have a bounce back season. I would hang on to him. I'd try to trade Garland before Brock. 

• Like 1

I've always believed Garland to be underused here in Vancouver, especially under Tocchet.  He's been one of our better 5v5 players and always plays a hard-nosed game, even when he can't score.

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text

I'll say this, though.  Myers is having a good tournament in Finland right now.  That doesn't mean he was used wrong here in Vancouver.  And it definitely doesn't mean his trade value has suddenly gone up.  For those who are suggesting we keep Garland, there's no point in him staying on a team with a coach that doesn't trust him much.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

6 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I've always believed Garland to be underused here in Vancouver, especially under Tocchet.  He's been one of our better 5v5 players and always plays a hard-nosed game, even when he can't score.

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text

I'll say this, though.  Myers is having a good tournament in Finland right now.  That doesn't mean he was used wrong here in Vancouver.  And it definitely doesn't mean his trade value has suddenly gone up.  For those who are suggesting we keep Garland, there's no point in him staying on a team with a coach that doesn't trust him much.

The best season of his career was with Tocchet as his coach. 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, kodos said:

I seem to remember people wanting to buy this guy out or pay to move him like literally a couple weeks ago. 

I don’t know why, he’s fine and is on a fair deal. I’d move Beauvillier before him. 

• Cheers 2

I would like to keep Garland. He's showing out in this tournament, and as previously mentioned, his best season was under Tocchet.
That being said, if we can get a good deal for him, we have to consider it. Between Garland, Boeser, and Beauvillier, whoever gets the best offer might have to go.

It's dangerous to look too much into these tournaments, I'd rather not use it as an excuse to ignore an entire NHL season's worth of average play. Garland put up what, 3 points against a dreadful French team, does that mean we should keep him over Boeser? I don't think so. Let's see how he fares against top teams in the finals now but regardless, it's dangerous to look at this tiny, meaningless sample size which doesn't usually equate very well to NHL or playoff success. The same can be said for Myers, he's not really facing tough opposition to be fair. This is almost like playing in AHL games and doing well.

At the end of the day, one or two wingers need to go. It comes down to age, cap hit and production. For me Boeser earned his spot on the 2nd line under Tocchet - he worked his ass off, became a PPG in the last 20 or so games, and went from one of the worst defensive players in the league to a solid PPG winger with Miller under Rick. He grabbed the opportunity whereas the others didn't.

Beauvillier really dropped off without playing with Petey which is a shame. He's young, 4M cap hit but he really struggled on a 3rd line without superstars which is a shame, they carried him for a lot of his points.

Garland is tricky, he's so good at forechecking and everyone assumed bringing his old coach in would help his production, but he was snake bitten a lot of the year. Problem is, he doesn't do a whole lot apart from "look good" on the ice. He generates shots, chances, but doesn't really kill penalties as well as a 3rd liner could, and doesn't score enough for a 5M cap hit. He does, however, seem to carry a 3rd line unlike Beauvillier.

Honestly I'd be happy if we could flip Beauvillier and Garland. That's 9M in cap space we could spend on a top defender (either in UFA like Graves/Gavrikov or elsewhere) and a 3rd line center (again, UFA or elsewhere). Those winger positions can easily be filled internally (Podkolzin, Hoglander, Karlsson maybe even) much cheaper whereas we can't really fill the 3C role internally (Ratu is a ways off) and certainly not on defence.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I would like to see all three wingers listed above move on. 
Our only ripe prospect is Hoglander and we are already too small on the wing and overall. 
We need to get some size and speed on the wings. Of those three Beau brings speed and that is it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

It's dangerous to look too much into these tournaments, I'd rather not use it as an excuse to ignore an entire NHL season's worth of average play. Garland put up what, 3 points against a dreadful French team, does that mean we should keep him over Boeser? I don't think so. Let's see how he fares against top teams in the finals now but regardless, it's dangerous to look at this tiny, meaningless sample size which doesn't usually equate very well to NHL or playoff success. The same can be said for Myers, he's not really facing tough opposition to be fair. This is almost like playing in AHL games and doing well.

I like Garland but yes you are right. Let's not forget Anders "The Beast" Nilsson's performance in the World Championships. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I like Garland but yes you are right. Let's not forget Anders "The Beast" Nilsson's performance in the World Championships. 

The one I remember was Kyle Turris. Has been falling out of favour in Nashville, even getting healthy scratched. But then at the WCs, captained Team Canada to a silver medal, scoring 10 points in 10 games.

Everyone thought: “Was Nashville misusing him?” A year later many thought he’d have a resurgence in Edmonton. Turns out that no…he just wasn’t very good anymore.

So yeah - showing up for these tournaments is nice and all, but it doesn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

keep Garland. 

Problem is theyve been trying to trade boeser for years and no one wants him.  

I would keep Beau out of them all.  Hes a natural scorer, good on forecheck, low maintenance and can play with any of our centres.  Solid fit here.

9 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Well over at the world's, Garland seems to be continuing where he left off at the end of the last season. CG is doing really well over there and getting noticed, however are the right people watching? As in added interest from other teams in acquiring him? 

Hard to say but it's certainly can't be hurting his stock, question is what can we get for him and maybe that will help the issue, too bad he wasn't 6'2 and 210+, we all like his feisty play but not consistent enough but still a good player when he turns it on. 

Is that enough for a team to give us either a high pick or prospect? 

What do you think? Kind of hard to say BUT all we can hope for is that it balances out the others teams bargaining chip of knowing we need cap and same with Boeser I imagine.

But back to Garland, he needs to be replaced by Hogs or Podz and we need depth! 

Can JR pull one out of his hat and score a home run and get this team finished off and have enough depth for the playoffs for once? 

Idk but at least Garland is trending up and maybe that will help us but no guarantees right? 

Thoughts? Late/Mid 1st pick for him or early 2nd? Hmmm... 

Garland is closer to a cap dump than having first or second round pick value. He's small, not fast, and has no shot. He's great in the O Zone with the puck. He can be a rat, but he's quite limited as a player.  Another poor Benning trade. Benning. :picard:

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Problem is theyve been trying to trade boeser for years and no one wants him.  

I would keep Beau out of them all.  Hes a natural scorer, good on forecheck, low maintenance and can play with any of our centres.  Solid fit here.

Have to wait until Jim Benning is hired as a GM of another NHL club.  Then the Canucks can trade these overpriced contracts to that team.  Nobody wants a 20 something goal scorer that does nothing else on the ice (doesn't hit, check, defend, etc.,) at a cap hit of 6.65 million for each of the next two seasons (Boeser).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan