The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] top 2 lines with our current roster

17 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

or perhaps underrated by those who don’t understand the role he plays, and plays it to a T

Well if people think that role is 1st-2nd line, then you're overrating him like a MF. 

Guy is a depth/fringe NHL player, regardless of how well he plays that role. 

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kuzmenko     Pettersson    Mikheyev

Barbashev     Miller            Boeser

Barbashev is signing here once we trade Garland and Beau...

f**king hope not.

He's going to overpaid in dollars and in term.

Contracts like the one he's about to get are exactly why this team has been and will stay mediocre. 

15 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Well if people think that role is 1st-2nd line, then you're overrating him like a MF. 

And yet Tocchett elevetaed him into that role.

Are you saying Tocchett is a poor judge of talent?

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Garland - Miller - Boeser

I see other dark horses to make it in there as Beauvillier, Podkolzin, Hoglander. I don't expect Di Giuseppe to remain in a top six role--he was a temporary fill in and is probably a bottom six guy at best and back to Abbotsford at worst.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Were Chaput or Megna top six forwards? Sometimes a coach plays a guy in a role to fill a temporary gap, not because they are actually a long-term fit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Were Chaput or Megna top six forwards? Sometimes a coach plays a guy in a role to fill a temporary gap, not because they are actually a long-term fit.

Could be temporary.  

Yet he played his role to a T and Miller/Boeser benefited from his forecheck/disruptiveness/puck pursuit.  

It’s not like he has poor pedigree either (38th OA)-he has decent hands. Not that where are drafted truly matters.

and at age 29 perhaps both he and Tocchett see a guy willing to put it all on the line in the prime of his career.

If he continues his good play from last season I see no reason to not give him the opportunity 

22 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Kinda looks like an eye test :rolleyes:

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Boeser

Podkolzin - Miller - Mikheyev

I agree with this, if Boeser's not traded we should market him by putting him with EP40, though I'd also be down to put Garland in place of Podkolzin if we want a speed line (though the two Russians with Miler would make for a very responsible unit... or Garland - Miller - Podz would also be a good trio seeing how Conor and Vasili had chemistry before too).  

21 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

I'm saying our roster is pretty f**king poor if that's what we start with.

You really think because PDG played top 6 down the stretch during meaningless games, against the weakest schedule in the league, somehow that means he's a legit top 6 winger? 

Good luck with that.

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, MattWN. said:

You really think because PDG played top 6 down the stretch during meaningless games, against the weakest schedule in the league, somehow that means he's a legit top 6 winger? 

Good luck with that.

1 hour ago, MattWN. said:

The fact you said he is a depth/fringe player REGARDLESS of how well he plays says a lot more about your take than mine.

If he proves he can play that “legit” speaks for itself

3 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

The fact you said he is a depth/fringe player REGARDLESS of how well he plays says a lot more about your take than mine.

If he proves he can play that “legit” speaks for itself

PDG belongs on that line with Miller.  That chemistry and his effectiveness shift in and shift out was undeniable.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

PDG belongs on that line with Miller.  That chemistry and his effectiveness shift in and shift out was undeniable.  

kudos

and im not saying he stays there all year or someone like Podz shows up and just blows the doors off at training camp/takes that spot (that would be great).

However, my gut tells me sees an opportunity to be a finally be a full time NHLr and comes in and works his tail off.

3 hours ago, MattWN. said:

Good luck with that.

Yup. PDG is at best a bottom six energy guy. 
Kuz, Petey, Beau

Mik, Miller, Boeser

No way is PDG in our top six. Heck, Garland, Hogs, and Pods are better options. Skill is important. And PDG isn’t that kind of player. He’s a grunt. A good grunt. But still a grunt. Phil de Grunt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm assuming Rick wants a good forechecker/grinder on each line. That's Mikheyev on the top line, PDG on the 2nd line. Solid two-way center - check - Petey and Miller. Then you add a sniper/scorer - Kuzmenko and Boeser. Tocchet quite likes the NHL video game formula of grinder - two way center/playmaker and sniper, and it has seemed to work in the past for us.

I think Hoglander and Podkolzin might steal some minutes here and there from guys, especially if injuries hit, and if we still have Beauvillier and/or Garland lying around next year, I'm sure they'll get a turn in the top-6, but realistically I think it's pretty set. PDG might fall off a bit and Hoglander or Garland could become the 2nd line forechecking presence that Rick wants.