The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) 11th over all pick for Cody Glass

7 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Here's the list: (alphabetical order by team)

• Clayton Keller
  • Brandon Carlo *
  • Rasmus Anderson *
  • Devon Toews
  • Alexis Lafreniere
  • Jonas Brodin
  • Artem Zub *
  • Anthony Cirelli *
  • Timothy Liljegren
  • Shea Theodore

* denotes players I like

Most of those players wouldn't even be available.

Dorion is desperately trying to upgrade his D-corps and says it's the hardest trade to make.  Why would they even consider moving Zub when he hasn't even started his new deal and Ottawa is looking to compete next season.  Dorion promised Giroux to convince him to sign that the rebuilding years are over and that it's go time.  

Cirelli also starting a new contract.  Tampa's window is now.  They just traded a boatload of picks for Jeannot because they couldn't care less about picks at this stage of their cycle as explained by BriseBois.  

Brodin is for sure not available - they are trying to compete despite having near 15M less in cap space than any other team.  Kaprizov in his prime and they need to show him that its worth extending there.  Brodin is expected to carry rookie Brock Faber in the top-4 as they aren't bringing Dumba back.  Per Russo the Wild would like a do over with the Rossi pick so he thinks they'd be willing to move him if they get a high 1st in this draft.  

Colorado also in their win now window with the MacKinnon extension kicking in.  Can't see them downgrading their D-corps in a win now window + Toews is on a great deal for a top pairing D.

Idem for Calgary.  This past season is to forget.  Weegar, Huberdeau are starting new deals, Kadri, Markstrom, Toffoli are all win now additions.  Conroy says his 1st call is to Lindholm.  Doesn't look like they are changing directions.  

• There it is 1

8 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Glass is a 6th over all pick that is breaking out. 

11th over all just isn't very good and will most likely be disappointing or a total bust 

How do you know this?  You cannot predict the future.  Wasn't Jake Virtanen a 6th overall pick?  Draft position means nothing.  Lafreniere was the #1 overall pick.  Is Chicago trading the #1 overall pick for Lafreniere?

The 11OA in 2023 has more value than Cody Glass.  Glass was literally playing in the AHL in 2021.  Last year was his first full year in the NHL and he had 35 points.  Is he breaking out?  Maybe.  But I wouldn't trade the 11OA in a deep draft for him...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How do you know this?  You cannot predict the future.  Wasn't Jake Virtanen a 6th overall pick?  Draft position means nothing.  Lafreniere was the #1 overall pick.  Is Chicago trading the #1 overall pick for Lafreniere?

The 11OA in 2023 has more value than Cody Glass.  Glass was literally playing in the AHL in 2021.  Last year was his first full year in the NHL and he had 35 points.  Is he breaking out?  Maybe.  But I wouldn't trade the 11OA in a deep draft for him...

Glass would be good to bring in as our 3C. But realistically his value is low. It certainly isn’t 11OA. More like a straight up trade for a guy like Woo. 

11 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

11th over all just isn't very good and will most likely be disappointing or a total bust 

11th this year, according to the math wizards, is like a 6-7 in an average draft, which Glass'es for sure was considered back then.    So it's not as far off as you may think.    By 15th overall, it's right back to ordinary though.    

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I hope we wouldn't do this either, but it's actually not the worst idea i've seen.   It fills one of our needs ( 3C), and appears it's something he can manage.   By the time Miller is ready to move down, it's possible he's ready to move up as well.   

Would still prefer we work on our D if we trade the 11th.    Re-sign Schenn for 3 years and acquire Carlo would be better for our team.   Not sure Boston would do  this and they probably shouldn't.   Let's just keep our pick.   We need to start rebuilding our pool.   And this would be a good start.   Think Raty is who they hope will take on the 3C role anyways. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

11th this year, according to the math wizards, is like a 6-7 in an average draft, which Glass'es for sure was considered back then.    So it's not as far off as you may think.    By 15th overall, it's right back to ordinary though.    

Except Glass is 24. If he was 21 that would be different. It would be a more interesting trade if we first traded back to 19OA and 35OA with Chicago to move off Garland. Then trade 35OA for Glass. That’s more reasonable for Glass. 

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Except Glass is 24. If he was 21 that would be different. It would be a more interesting trade if we first traded back to 19OA and 35OA with Chicago to move off Garland. Then trade 35OA for Glass. That’s more reasonable for Glass. 

Wouldn't say Glass is a player who won't find his place in the NHL.   But this isn't a move for us right now.    And no I wouldn't do this trade for Garland either.   It's possible we can trade him for a pick, maybe not a second, but trade him without any cost to us.    And keep our 11th.   And gain a pick.   19th sure isn't going to help us anytime soon.   11th 50/50 odds a one year wait.   Very good odds only a two year wait.    If there math guys have it right, and an 11th is like drafting 6-7 in a normal draft, we have zero business trading this pick.   A "bust" in that range is 400nhl games.    A hit is a guy who goes on to play 1000 plus NHL games. 

Edited by IBatch

Just now, IBatch said:

Wouldn't say Glass is a player who won't find his place in the NHL.   But this isn't a move for us right now.    And no I wouldn't do this trade for Garland either.   It's possible we can trade him for a pick, maybe not a second, but trade him without any cost to us.    And keep our 11th.   And gain a pick.   19th sure isn't going to help us anytime soon.   11th 50/50 odds a one year wait.   Very good odds only a two year wait. 

I like your idea that Garland has actual value. Hopefully that’s the case. If so then we do the Chicago deal to get off of Boeser. Still bring in Glass to play 3C using pick 35. 
out: 11OA + Boeser

in: 19OA + Glass

12 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

This is supposed to be the strongest draft since 2015 and 2nd strongest since 2003. 11th OA in 2023 might be as good as a top 5 pick in any other draft. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

then why would Nashville do the trade?

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Glass had a marginal role and then ran into injuries back in Vegas and then it was the pandemic so he lost quite a bit of development time.  Nashville felt he had to do catchup and that's why he went to the AHL.  His confidence grew as the season went along and he made his way from C4/pressbox to matchup C shutting down top lines to C1 playing between Forsberg/Duchene before injuries cut that short.  There's been a real progression to his game this season.

Can't see him being available.  There's a reason Trotz lists him as someone they want to build around.  Nashville going into what Trotz calls a re-set.  He talks of taking a step back to take a step forward. 

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Glass had a marginal role and then ran into injuries back in Vegas and then it was the pandemic so he lost quite a bit of development time.  Nashville felt he had to do catchup and that's why he went to the AHL.  His confidence grew as the season went along and he made his way from C4/pressbox to matchup C shutting down top lines to C1 playing between Forsberg/Duchene before injuries cut that short.  There's been a real progression to his game this season.

Can't see him being available.  There's a reason Trotz lists him as someone they want to build around.  Nashville going into what Trotz calls a re-set.  He talks of taking a step back to take a step forward. 

What's he going to say? Of course he's going to say positive things about players he might potentially trade. 

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What's he going to say? Of course he's going to say positive things about players he might potentially trade. 

If you followed and listened to the post-games by Hynes you will note a real progression on his take on him, his role and deployment.  At the start of the season he could barely get in the lineup.  By December he was used as shutdown C against other teams top lines with Hynes noting his attention to detail.  He then went to play between Forsberg-Duchene.  Trotz hadn't even been announced as GM yet.  

Trotz has consistently raved about Glass.  Can't see them trading him.  Can't really see GMs falling for that when they can all play the same game + they have their own scouts.  

Edited by mll

16 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Glass had a breakout year last year. His 850k 1 year deal is expiring. He will probably sign a $2.3 million 2-3  year bridge deal. We are going all in anyway. I don't think you can get much better of a player for the #11 pick than this. 

Preds fans project him as their #2 C next year with #1 C upside in the future. I think he is a better player than Laffrenier now

Here's a Preds fans reaction

I probably would. I don't think most Preds fans would. But I'm also pretty sure that Trotz wouldn't... our centers are Glass, Parssinen, Novak, and Sissons (and maybe Johansen). That's not exactly an area of proven strength to deal from. 11th is really close and I feel like we'd have an excellent chance of getting a player who turns out to be better than Glass with that pick. Just... that player wouldn't play for us until several years from now. Whereas I suspect the Preds would prefer the more immediate contribution of Glass. But it's close!

Glass was pretty unreal down the stretch for us, no interest in moving him. He's very likely going to be starting as the 1C next year.

This is a REALLY deep draft and there's a really good chance that we can snag a solid RD prospect at #11. Why would you move that for a 3C who's had one good season?

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

35 points is a breakout year? We could just sign Evan Rodriguez without giving up an asset. This would be a disastrous trade (no offense)

The proposal isn't bad. 

35 points is a breakout year for Glass personally. The OP says unless you think someone drafted at #11 in 2023 will be better than Glass, Glass may not be a bad choice (and aka:retool speeds up a few years of development) Glass is 24 year and with a somewhat decent ceiling; therefore, this is not just a proposal to find a 3C who can score 35 points. Not someone like Rodriguez who hops on high offensive team to inflate his stats and trying to score a multiyear retirement contract afterwards. Don't want him on our team. He is not good.  

Doubt Nashville will bite though. Don't see them trading away a young center. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, mll said:

If you followed and listened to the post-games by Hynes you will note a real progression on his take on him, his role and deployment.  At the start of the season he could barely get in the lineup.  By December he was used as shutdown C against other teams top lines with Hynes noting his attention to detail.  He then went to play between Forsberg-Duchene.  Trotz hadn't even been announced as GM yet.  

Trotz has consistently raved about Glass.  Can't see them trading him.  Can't really see GMs falling for that when they can all play the same game + they have their own scouts.  

I'd like Glass on our club as a 3C. But he is 24 so his value is a 2nd rounder, at most. 

15 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Dude is 24 and isn't even at .5ppg.  I guess everyone has a different ideas what a breakout year looks like.  

Similar age and production to Beauvillier, would you give u[p the 11 pick for him?